THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    What is the function of this piece of Gear?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the function of this piece of Gear?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got back from a high country hunt in northern BC, and have got a question on external frame packs. I use a Cabela's Alaskan Outfitter pack, and am wondering what is the purpose of the adjustable top bar that is on the pack and on most other exteral frames I see. If this has been asked before, just post the link, but I see little point to it, unless it provides another tie-off point for gear when you are loaded way to heavy.
Thanks for the info.
Graham

Posts: 264 | Location: Northern BC, Canada | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess either I answered my own question, or everyone else was wondering the same thing. Is it a structural member that will damage something if I remove it for easier movement in the bush?
Good hunting,
Graham

Posts: 264 | Location: Northern BC, Canada | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I have the same pack, and extend the bar when I have a tall load such as this one:

Otherwise I keep it low. If the pack was too high, I would not worry about removing it.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice 'Bou, and thanks for the reply. I usually just depress the stop buttons and jam that top bar as far down the side rails as it will go. Then I give it a little more just for good measure. I wondered about that. Thanks again,
Good hunting,
Graham

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
I have the same pack, and extend the bar when I have a tall load such as this one:

Otherwise I keep it low. If the pack was too high, I would not worry about removing it.

Dave

Geez Dave, where have I seen that picture before???? Big Grin

Dave

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is the extender bar. It has no structural purpose, you can remove it if you don't intend to use it. It is for carrying loads above the main pack. Most main packs will have lash tie downs on the top so that you can put something heavy up there and attach it to the extender bars. Most useful for heavier things like tents, tripods, and full food containers. You want heavy things up high in the pack and the bar prevents them from flopping onto your head or backwards.

Here is a pick from a 10 day trip in the brooks range. At this point it looks like I have the tent up there, earlier in the trip I had a full plastic food container up there because that was the heaviest item at the time.

Just FYI, this is a vidcap so the quality is not great. I have my handgun, charter arms bulldog 44spl in my hand. I'm about to fire a warning shot at a grizz that has been with us for about 45 minutes regardless of what we do and it is about 9:30pm and we need to make camp. My daughter was taking the video.

Posts: 178 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tundragriz tell us more about the grizz story did you have any further trouble with it.

Posts: 19392 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote