THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Rifle Cases -- Hybrid soft/hard

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle Cases -- Hybrid soft/hard
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
I really do not know where to put this topic?

I am looking for a softcase that will house the rifle after I arrive in camp and remove it from it's hard carry case. I have found two cases that are called 'HYBRID' cases since they combine both soft and hardcase aspects, plus they both have carry straps. This will become useful when scaling hillsides over rock with ropes.

Have any of you used either of these cases or models? What did you think?

Bulldog Magnum Hybrid
link

Dosko DLX Hybrid
link

The Bulldog has a regular two strap backpack style it appears from the young lady, but I cannot find other pictures.

The Dosko has a single over the shoulder strap.

Thanks for the help!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about those Sniper Drag Bag type cases?

I have seen pictures and films of this type of case being used by the Russians, British, American and Iranian forces in mountains, desert and city landscapes.

If you ever need to abseil down the face of Mount Rushmore, chase King Kong down the Empire State Building they should do fine Smiler

I was particularly tickeled by the film of lady Iranian Para Military Police, complete with long flowing robes / capes and paratrooper jump boots, abseiling down the side of a multi storey building in Tehran. Assault rifle across the chest, some had sniper ripers on their backs like a rucksack.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
so what cases do you recommend???

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate there is a trade off between protection / shock absorbing and weight, so here goes IMHO / FWIW...

If protection is your main concern, then something like a military snipers drag bag is what I would choose.

Blackhawk is well liked here in the UK. Another 'military' specification drag bag is made by the UK military clothing etc contractor Arktis. One source address is:

www.rifle-cases.co.uk

If weight was a concern, then there are products like Niggeloh rucksack slip, Napier Protector Stalker ruck sack slip and the Harkila Skane rifle case - ruck sack type slip. These are advertised in

www.bush wear.co.uk.

The Niggeloh is described as padded, but thereis no description in the paper catalogue I have. The Skane consists of egg box type foam padding as well as the general full length zip etc. There are two dots over the a in Harkila and an o above the a in skane.

All the above mentioned slips / covers claim to be waterproof.

These padded slips tend to be bulky due to the foam type padding. Additionally, the non enclosed foam traps dirt / grit which can harm a rifle's finish. The better ones have a 'cloth type lining /cover over the padding. The covers are generally slated as being 48 inches long and will fit a rifle fitted with 50 / 56 mm objective lense, bipod and moderator / "silencer".

If I was in the market for one of these type covers, I would look for a lighter, smaller profile sniper drag bag and pay the increased cost in £/$ and weight. I use a Boyd padded slip / soft case for the range though.

A final thought, you could try Quality Gunslips Ltd -

www.gunslips.co.uk

They do make 'specials - custom order' slips, although they generally make the traditional UK style shotgun and stalking rifle covers. They made me a good quality canvas rifle stalking slip / cover.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
333_OKH,

After looking at your post, I looked at the Cabelas web site and saw they carry the Bulldog. So, yesterday am I ran down to my local Cabelas in Lehi, Utah and bought 48" version for $44.99 plus tax.

Got it home and it just fits my 46-1/2" Rem 700 w/ BIG Leupy Mk 4 4.5-14x50 set on a picatinny base & 30mm TPS rings. Nice thing for me is the side pockets, internal length of 28" left and 34" right, will fit my 30" SxS barrel in the right and the action/stock in the right. Both will go into my Storm 3300 double rifle case along with my other rifle in another brand of soft case. So both rifles and a SxS will fit in soft cases which will fit into the double rifle case. Then on Sept 5th, off to Alaska I go for Grizzly.

The Bulldog seems to be a nice case. Thicker than a traditional soft case. It's about 4" thick, w/o a rifle tucked inside.

Thanks for the push.

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
GSSP--

what is the fiber inserts like? How rigid are they? My rifle is
46 3/4" long. Will it still fit?

Robthom--

I will look into these soon.

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Robthom,

Sorry to say, I hit the road for a week with the family. Can say what the insert is like. I think the extra 1/4" will make it. Not by much.

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote