New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog packing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 6yr old 95lb male chessie,he is in excellent shape.How much weight should he be able to haul.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hvrhunter:
I see you have no responses as of yet and am not really surprised. Maybe, just maybe, I could be of some help.
I assistant guided some in the Brooks Range back in the early-mid '70's and the we used pack dogs. These were mostly huskies and as I recall, they weighed in the neighborhood of 55 lbs. or so. We usually packed them about 20-25 lbs. of supplies and they were used to initially set spikec camps up and they also went along occasionally with a client and assistant guide. We had to cross a river and so we always took off their packs and carried those across. The packs were custom made affairs done here in Fairbanks at Alaska Tent & Tarp. For the most part, the dogs behaved very well and stayed with us while we were hiking. I found it an interesting experience and enjoyed being with them even when they occasionally took off at a dead run after a marmot & refused to come back when called.
I know nothing about your dog nor how he behaves while walking with you but I think you should try it if possible. The one main problem I see is getting the pack made - it may have to be custom fitted. Also, even if he weighs 95 lbs., I'd start out light and gradually increase weights but would be careful about too much weight. BTW, the 20-25 lbs. mentioned above is the best I can recall from some 30 years ago. Just be careful with him and good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make sure that you take dog booties and spares. Rock and shale is murder on your dog's feet.

You also need to be careful to be sneaky with your dog as you would yourself. They can spook game easily.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd make him pack his own food, at least. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote