Find
Notify
Tools

Big Agnes sleeping bags
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted
I have been looking at a Big Agnes sleeping bag, "Lost Ranger" 15 degrees.
I noticed it has virtually no insulation on the bottom side of the bag.
The salesman told me they are designed to be used with the Big Agnes sleeping pad. Apparently it is insulated?
This bag and pad are very light, but I'm a bit leery of the lack of underside insulation.
Any feed back would be appreciated.

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are made for the insulated pad to fit into the sleeve in the underside. All in it will go over 5 lbs. Very comfy if 5 lbs+ total weight works for you.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Stormking O* BA down bag w/RidgeRest pad that I've used, several times, for more than 50 consecutive days up north and it is a great bag......insulation depends on loft and, if you're laying on the insulation, it doesn't help much, down or synthetic....pad fits in the pocket and you can't slide off at night...the pad sleeve will fit other pads besides BA pads....no problems and well under 5lbs for the setup.....I've had it down between 0-6 degrees and have been very comfy......

OK, I'm ready to hear from the "you can't use down in the bush 'cause it ain't safe" crowd Smiler....

Big Agnes bags are great gear that work for ME.....only you can decide what you need but I don't think you'd be sorry using one.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ovis:
I have a Stormking O* BA down bag w/RidgeRest pad that I've used, several times, for more than 50 consecutive days up north and it is a great bag......insulation depends on loft and, if you're laying on the insulation, it doesn't help much, down or synthetic....pad fits in the pocket and you can't slide off at night...the pad sleeve will fit other pads besides BA pads....no problems and well under 5lbs for the setup.....I've had it down between 0-6 degrees and have been very comfy......

OK, I'm ready to hear from the "you can't use down in the bush 'cause it ain't safe" crowd Smiler....

Big Agnes bags are great gear that work for ME.....only you can decide what you need but I don't think you'd be sorry using one.

Joe

ovis,

What are you thinking man!
You can't use down in the bush 'cause it ain't safe!!

By the way,

I'm having a senior moment now on my BA bag. It's packed away and I can't recall the model. Synthetic rated 20degrees I think. Anyway, I had my 5yo son back in 2005 out on a three day backpack trip w/ overnight lows in the teens. We slept under a EXPED Scout Tarp w/ a standard pad in the BA sleeve. My kid crawled into the bag w/ me and slept well. It's a hell of a good bag.

later,
GVA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Gary,

Thanks for the " 'cause it ain't safe"... Big Grin...I can now face the rest of my day... Big Grin...hey, and don't think you've cornered the market on the senior moments either.....I just happened to move my BA this morning to get to my pack or I couldn't have told you the model of my BA either. cheers

Great thing this getting old, eh?

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote