THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    a good training book or article for backpacking.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

a good training book or article for backpacking.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i would like to find a good training regiment for packing, something that'll take 6-8 weeks to get in good shape. any input will help. thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
up hill- down hill with 60-80lbs in your pack do 1-2 hrs hikes everyday at as fast of a pace you can handle that is a great start
good luck

Posts: 483 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
I agree with sjr that there is no substitute for hiking a hill with weight on your back if you are trying to prepare for.....hiking a hill with weight on your back!

How steep a hill and how much weight will vary depending on your goals and current condition. But the old Marine in me says if you think you want to be able to do 5 miles with 3000 feet gain and a 50lb load, you should train to do 20% more than that. Then when you add in less food and thinner air, you won't completely think you have died and gone to hell. Smiler

I like to train the upper body with weights, too. Plus push ups and 8-count bends and thrusts. Don't forget to throw some running in, too.

If you have done this sort of thing before, you already know this...but pay attention to your body. Eat well, stay hydrated and get plenty of rest at night.

Some folks are big on rest days. I tell myself I should take a day off each week, but I worked out 29 days out of 31 in May myself...did 149 miles with pack at 30% grade in those 29 days. I did it because my body (with the exception of my knees - which the doc says ignore) said I could.

Push yourself, but don't be stupid and hurt yourself. Can be a fine line for older (51) guys like me.

Early on try to figure out what your goals need to be, based on what you plan to actually do.

For me, I am determined to keep my total hike-in load to 52lbs. I have a 7 mile hike in to base, total elevation gain is 4,200 feet, with 3000 feet gain in the first 3 miles. This sets at least some of the parameter for my training. I need lots of steep, but I will not train with more than 60lbs. Fortunately my starting elevation is 3000 feet (but I live at sea level... ugh).

What exactly are you preparing for?

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote