New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog Packing
 Login/Join

Picture of Canuck
posted
As you guys can probably tell from my signature picture, one of my passions (that goes hand-in-hand with backpacking) is dog packing.

Anyone else out there do it?

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone else out there do it?

Man, I tried dog packing but they're a heavy static weight and they squirm around a lot... Big Grin

Picture of Alfonz
posted Hide Post
I have packed my dog on a few sheep hunts and had mixed luck. The biggest problem I faced was cuts on the paws. I guess leather booties or more conditioning would help them but it seems after three days she has sore feet.As for as the dog scaring game it never seems to have been a factor I have been with her and within fifteen yards of rams.Just when I think she is out of energy she always amazes me when she spots a ground squirrel and takes off running.
I like this new forum, back pack hunting in my opinion is truly a great hunting experiance.

Al

Posts: 23 | Location: Yukon Canada | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Man, I tried dog packing but they're a heavy static weight and they squirm around a lot...

Big Grin ...good one...

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Al,

Welcome to the forum!

What kind of dog do you have? and what color are its pads?

My chocolate lab has tough paws...never have had an issue. He has always gotten lots of conditioning though.

As an option to leather booties, there are chemical treatments to toughen pads too. Some hound owners rely on it for running cats in crusty snow, etc.

Picture of Alfonz
posted Hide Post
Canuck,
I have a black lab - pitbull cross, her pads are black in color. One othe thing that seems to get her in the low lands are the bugs in early August. I use some bug spray the vet recommended. Being part pitbull she has fairly short hair and the bugs have a field day on her face and belly. The most meorable trip was when she finally caught a ground sqiurrel and two hours later got into a fight with a beaver. Surprizingly she came out un scathed from the beaver fight and I would even go so far as to say she had the upper hand. She is ten now and her packing days are over. When she was in her prime she won thrid place two years in a row at the one dog pull for her weight class.

Al

Posts: 23 | Location: Yukon Canada | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Well, black pads are a good thing. They're usually more durable.

Blackflies were hard on my dog too. Especially on one trip where he wasn't allowed in the tent. He was in the vestibule and his body heat woke up the blackflies in the moss. They swarmed the poor guy all night! I use a cedar based spray and it works ok. Better than putting deet on him (although I do use it sometimes where he can't lick).

Interestingly enough, a guy I worked with in Chetwynd last year had a beaver dam on his acreage, not far from his house. He has a medium sized mutt and it managed to kill both beavers living at that dam...and they were both big beavers! I would never have picked an average dog in a fight with a beaver, but ???

My old dog is 11 1/2 now, and his packing days are over too. He still loves wearing his pack when we go for walks though. My GF keeps him in pretty good shape (he runs about 5 or 6 kms, 4 days a week with her) but he gets pretty stiff after a full day afield. He's a big lab (105 lbs in good shape) and he used to pack up to 35 lbs. One time he even managed a goat hind quarter (bone in) in each of his side packs, plus a sleeping bag and tarp on top, for 13 kms. He earned his kibble that day! Big Grin

Cheers,
Canuck

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Nice lead-in to something I was wondering about: the dog's food. I'll assume you bring dry kibble, but how much? Doggy gets a special meat meal on successful hunts, I hope, no? Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Definitely dry food...thats all he gets at home too.

I bring the same amount as he would eat at home. Usually about 1.5 cups in the AM and 3 cups in the PM. I separate it all out into ziploc baggies...so one small baggie and one big baggie per day. Makes it handy (no measuring) and easy to distribute amongst the bags (wherever it will fit).

At the beginning of a 10 day trip he will be carrying about 1/2 of his load as his own food. As the trip progresses, as his food gets eaten more of my pack transfers to his.

He gets the odd treat along the way, including a nibble or two of fresh game. Smiler

Cheers,
Canuck

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
So who makes a good dog pack for my 4 legged Sherpa ?

The young one is a 120 lb. GSP/Lab mix who's as strong as an ox and ready to go anytime, anywhere.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was going to train one of my Rottweiler brothers to pack, but, it's more work/hassle than it's worth in my current situation. The two boys, Axel-120 lbs. and Woden-160 lbs. stay with my wife when I'm away and we have not had any breakins since we got them in 2000.

I used to take Blitzen-115 lbs., another of my beloved, purebred Rottgods into the bush, but, I don't really like Rotts for this as they are too willing to go "face to face" with a Grizzly and they will NOT quit until dead. So, I talked with Carla, the lady from Victoria that raises Karelians and, for a bush dog, that's where I would go, but, they are a hassle in the city.

The late Bud Mawer of Nelson, B.C. did a lot of dog packing all over B.C., back in the day and he was a real mountainman who went out alone for weeks on end. He grew up with my uncles in the WWI years and, as I was a young lookoutman, he took me under his wing and taught me a lot. His choice in dogs was to get Husky-G.Shep. crosses for a combination of strength, brains, good coat and economy; this makes sense to me and I would do likewise if I lived in a remote area.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote