Notify
Tools

LightWeight Trek Pole(s)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I already have set of MSR OverlandCarbon Fibre around 8oz each,
But have found some Komperdell Duolock Carbon at about 6.1oz each,
any other super light( 6oz or less) quality telescopic version out there I should be aware of?
Considering using a high grade one piece carbon skiracing pole(s) which are only around 4oz each,but may prove to be a pain in one piece, if your using a one piece let me know how your finding it.
WJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodjack,

I use a pair of Swix aluminum touring poles and much prefer them to the telescoping poles as they are lighter, stiffer, more reliable and a lot quieter.

I cut them down slightly at the tip ends to the exact hole diameter in the Pavement Paws used on the Nordic Walking Poles as they give much better grip on rock surfaces and nearly the same performance every where else compared to the carbide tips, and are much better for log crossings and in the brush. They also do well in crossing snow fields but are not quite as good on ice and hard crusted snow.

I glue them in place to prevent eventually driving the pole bottom through the rubber foot. Rubber Cement and Super Glue eventually failed but Gorilla Glue is holding up fine so far, and I use my poles almost daily, usually twice a day in walking my dog and training.

Graphite is a fairly brittle material and a lot of the racing poles are wrapped with a Kevlar material on their lower ends to make them more durable. I have broken a number of carbon poles while skiing and the snow provides a cushion that rock and the ground don't. Another consideration is that graphite is a great conductor, acting like a lightening rod in electrical storms, more so than aluminum.

Because I skate ski, I am used to transporting long ski poles. (Skate poles should come up to your mustache.) Once you get used to it, the poles are shorter than the skis are by a long ways, I don't think you will find the one-piece poles to be all that big a problem. The joints on the telescoping poles eventually get loose and they also compromise the pole's stiffness from the get go.

You can often find good quality aluminum Nordic poles from second hand shops and in yard sales at very low prices, should you want to test the one-piece pole concept with out spending a lot of money. Good quality graphite racing poles will run between several hundred and 500 dollars these days.

I also prefer poles with out the shock absorbers included. They just add weight and noise. I want my poles to be as solid and stable as possible when I need them for support. The one-piece poles will give you the most there for the least amount of weight at the greatest stiffness. Good luck with your poles, no matter what you decide to choose...Rusty.

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote