New
Find
Notify
Tools

Catalytic Heaters Anyone?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody here use them? Do you like them?

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I didn't know that they have them for backpacking, but I have an old Colman one that I use for camping.

I am too much of a sissy to keep it in the tent while I'm sleeping, so I fire it up after dinner and let it get the tent and bedding nice and warm before turning in for the night.

Then once my wife and I are dressed for bed(and once she is wrapped in the sleeping bag of course) I place the heater outside and extinguish it. It makes getting into bed on those cold nights much easier.

I have used it in the morning a time or two, also.

I would think a catalytic heater would be just the ticket for trailer camping in cold weather.

I would never sleep with one in the tent/trailer regardless of airflow. I just fear dying too much.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
I didn't know that they have them for backpacking, but I have an old Colman one that I use for camping.

They're too big and heavy for backpacking. But I was thinking about winter camping.

quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
I am too much of a sissy to keep it in the tent while I'm sleeping, so I fire it up after dinner and let it get the tent and bedding nice and warm before turning in for the night.

Then once my wife and I are dressed for bed(and once she is wrapped in the sleeping bag of course) I place the heater outside and extinguish it. It makes getting into bed on those cold nights much easier.

I have used it in the morning a time or two, also.

I would think a catalytic heater would be just the ticket for trailer camping in cold weather.

I would never sleep with one in the tent/trailer regardless of airflow. I just fear dying too much.

This is what I'm thinking. Warm up the tent before bedtime and maybe in the morning when climbing out of the sack when winter camping.

They say they are safe........ but I wouldn't trust them over night. Maybe they don't put out CO...... but they are sucking oxygen for the burn. And a small tent covered with heavy snow is pretty much like an igloo with no venting.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
They are perfect for your intended use. I am a cheapskate and even I feel they are a great and inexpensive tool.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
My kids are now both grown young men and are 19 and 21 years old. Both played soccer, football and baseball since they were 4 or 5.

My wife and I traveled thousands and thousands of miles watching games....we used 2 of the colman round head style heaters for all of those years and I love them. All of these years later they still work perfect.

They are great!!!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Over the years I have used several different models/kinds.

They are very handy when winter camping and also when winter hunting in a blind.

The best one I have ever used, by a wide margin, is the "Mr. Buddy".

I have used it in a tent and in a blind.

I do not burn it while I sleep.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 'em in a canvas wall tent, great to take the chill off in the morning. I like the Mr. Buddy too.

Not many tents are airtight enough to be a problem. But I still don't use them overnight to stay warm while we're sleeping.

Posts: 29 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 28 December 2009Reply With Quote