New
Find
Notify
Tools

best backpack spotting scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
what do you guys use? I am looking at the Nikon 50mm, the MInox 62mm and the Pentax 65mm

"I will not raise taxes on those making more than 250k"

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold 25x with a Mil Dot reticle in it. The Leupold scopes are waterproof, a good thing for a hunting spoting scope.
Actually I think 20x would be better than 25x...
But I do not think they make this scope any more.
It is a little heavier and a little bigger, but on one hunt I was on the guide had the Leupold 12x to I think 40x. This was a great hunting spotting scope. Water proof, and with a low power of 12X variable up to 40x it was Perfect... in every way.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if not packing my zeiss 65 and need to go lighter, I've been happy with my minox 50...the older leupold straight 25 is another good one.

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just p/u a Minox MD50 15x30x50 great little light weight spotter, size of a 1 lit. water bootle ,nice optics should do great this fall for high country Mule deer

Posts: 483 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a little leupold 10-20x40 compact scope. Very small and light and you can support it on a walking pole. It's useful but not convinced it does a lot more than a good pair of binoculars. I really do like the three or four draw Scottish style stalking scopes made by the likes of Grays - you 30x power but they are balanced so you don't need a tripod. My wife has inherited her grandfathers and we do use up in the highlands when stalking red deer.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
The little Nikon 50 is hard to beat but has short eye relief. The Leupold GR 15-30x50 is almost as good optically and just as light.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
This might help - it gives weight, size, price and subjective image quality comparisons. Maybe some new models now since 2008 but its a good place to start....
http://www.livingbird.org/bbim...f/ScopeChart2008.pdf

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold 20x that came in a nice zippered case. It's only about 10 inches long and lightweight. Perfect for a backpack hunt. I believe that particular model is discontinued now but could probably be located on e-bay or gunbroker auction sites.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from a sheep hunt had the minox 50mm worked good seen a lot of sheep no shooters but the scope worked.

Posts: 166 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a bausch & Lomb (now Bushnell elite) elite 15x45x60 with great success over the past few years. It is light, rubber coated, rainguard, and the power range is perferct for me. Optics are clear & bright. If you look around, you can find them new for $300 or so. Good shooting!

God, guns, & guts made us free. Let's keep all three!

Posts: 169 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the B&L. Mine has been all over North America, on all my sheep hunts and most anywhere a lightweight spotter might come in handy. They turn up on EBay and elswhere from time to time.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw