THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Waterproof/Windproof hard shell

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waterproof/Windproof hard shell
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just got back from a week of fishing in northern Maine where it rained all week. My current rain gear did OK but on a couple of days when the conditions were really brutal I got wet, so....

I am looking for an all around hard shell jacket that I can wear hunting and back packing in pretty much every condition. I'm not looking for anything in camo - just a cast-iron versatile shell. Nothing too heavy but wind and water proof and preferably with pit-zips.

Thanks,

DG

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me recommend that you consider some that is not hunting gear but proven to repel all the elements:
Motorcycle riders have been using shell protection for both rain and wind protection for many years. Some of the garments are somewhat lightweight and yet will keep you warm and dry in the worst downpour.
Visit a cycle shop that has a variety of rain suits. Also visit some of the cycle forums and ask about the best performing breathable rain suites.
I have a set that was purchased in Germany and it is amazing how it keeps me dry, cuts the wind, and is breathable.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using this type of gear for almost 50 years and in BC where the climate goes to extremes. There are several shells I can suggest, but, the current "best" is made of "eVent" fabric by Westcomb here in vancouver, BC. These are NOT "cheap", but, the designs are superb and the build quality exceeds anything else I have ever had...and that is about all the highend stuff available.

Google Westcomb jackets and see what you like best.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In some of the wet areas the wife and I have hunted in you also need a "garment" that is pretty tough, and can withstand going through thick brush, alders, etc.

We have been on some back pack hunts where it rained quite a bit, and when it was not raining the brush was still wet. On one backpacking trip it rained for 9 days straight.

The wife had a Patagonia coat and pants.

I had a Barbour waxed cotton coat and pants. Both were the thin version and unlined.
Neither one of us got wet, or cold.

I have also used Filson unlined [the unlined garments are lighter in weight] coats and pants with perfect results.

I have found one "secret" to being out in very wet weather is to also wear the right stuff under your rain gear.

Poly propoline underwear, and thin light weight wool shirts and pants, work for me in moderate conditions, or it is colder, then thicker wool shirts and wool sweaters, and thick wool pants is what I use.

In one packpack trip in heavy snow conditions I did not even wear a shell. I just wore thick Filson wool pants, a thin Pendleton wool shirt, and a Filson wool coat.

Even in high excersion conditions, I never felt wet, clammy or cold.

I have found that in a light rain, if I wear a water "proof" shell and pants, and I am walking, I will be much more "wet and clammy" from sweat, that if I just wear a wool shirt and pants, their thickness tuned to the temperature.
As you walk your body heat will dry the wool out.
If you are standing still, or not moving around much you do need a "shell" of some sort.

However, even in heavy rains, or snow, on a horse, or at speed on an atv or in a boat, I have never been disapointed with Barbour or Filson Waxed Cotton.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey my favorite shells and made by Simms fishing products, really high qualtiy and gortex. kept me dry in many diff, situations. Hope this helps

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I must have a dozen coats for the various outdoor activities I enjoy. First of all, I am looking at technical jackets from Marmot, Arcteryx, Patagonia, etc. I am not looking at any of the usual hunting and fishing gear. I do have a Simms Guide jacket that is 12+ years old and still keeps me dry on the water but it is a wading length jacket so not terribly practical. As for Barbour, been there done that. Great jackets so long as I'm standing still but they have zero breathability and I get soaked from the inside out as my body temp rises. Folsom is only slightly better.

Guess what I should of ask is does anyone use a waterproof shell and if so, from which manufacturer? I have a Patagonia shell that is 14-years old and which is no longer waterproof. Time for a replacement.

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again, based on VERY extensive personal use and employment in the gear industry, eVent is the fabric you need and Westcomb currently makes the best jackets, with Wild Things close behind. I am using Integral Designs eVent jackets and they are fabulous, but, no longer made.

I am VERY familiar with Arcteryx, Marmot and all the others and have MEC, Jack Wolfskin and several other shells and Westcomb-eVent beats all of them, with no problem. Check them out and you will see what I mean.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
I would go with Arcteryx or Patagonia !

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scubapro:

but can you get it in MossyOak Camo? Smiler

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Picked up an Arc'teryx shell (heaviest/toughest they make) in "Totum", which is a brownish-olive color. It should blend in pretty well in virtually any cover. Hood, pit-zips, two exterior pockets, two internal pockets...pretty much everything I was looking for. Now, if the temps would actually cooperate and start to cool off I might get to wear it.

One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
quote:
Originally posted by scubapro:

but can you get it in MossyOak Camo? Smiler

If You want camo pattern, I would add a very lightweight and non waterproof cover with the pattern over the waterproof Arcteryx - I have this one:

http://www.hubertus-fieldsport...nzug-MAX-4::500.html

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of U.S. military gortex that I can't say a bad word about. I acquired it when an Air Force friend upgraded to the latest camo uniform requirements. Not silent for up close hunting situations, but built to last.

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tried a lot of rain jackets and pants and have been rarely disappointed....as to quality stuff vs. just $10.00 rain jackets.

My lightest set is a single layer GorTex made for the military by Northface that I picked up on closeout for a whole $30.00 at their outlet store. It is the same one that is called the Stash-A-Way by Brigade Quartermaster. The pants are also a single layer Gortex from Log House Designs of Chatham, NH...they don't advertise much and are a military contractor. The last 7 days canoe trip it rained all 7 days...saw the sun twice...and never wet. Someone took a picture of me at our evening campsite asleep in a downpour just laying against my pack hoping it would stop raining before setting up a tent...

I was also given one of the BQM GorTex EWAC jackets 12 years ago. I wore it a lot and it finally ended up in my motorcycle saddle bag because I kept getting caught in the rain with nothing. Had to ride home in a downpour a few weeks ago and figured I was going to get wet as I thought the coat was getting "old". Other than some drip in from the collar the rest of me was dry...

For fishing (in upper Maine) I have a knee length LL Bean GorTex coat. Put a set of hip boots on and I am bomb proof....

I also always buy jackets two sizes lager than my coat size...air circulation under the garment, not "breathability" is the key to staying dry...

Bob

Posts: 601 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
I've been wet more times than I can remember using "breathable" gear, and rarely wear it except around town. I found a jacket made by Outdoor Reserch thats 100% waterproof and packable, called Rampardt (sp). It may actually be discontinued after this year... I'll be picking up a couple more sets at discount probably this week. Its not breathable, but has vent zips in all the right places to keep you aired out.

I've been using this stuff for 3 years now, chasing sheep, deer, elk, moose, bears, fishing etc up here in AK and else where. I wear it all day long in some instances and don't have an issue with the sweat. The last 3 sheep hunts I was on, I lived in my gear for almost the entire time. IMO the breathable stuff is way over hyped and over marketed. Its not too pricy for a full set ($120) so you won't be out much if you don't like it. A 'good' breathable jacket will run you 2-3x that much, then you need the pants.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote