Find
Notify
Tools

Backpack for a young gal
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted
My eldest, a 15-year old girl, is ready to tackle more challenging hunts that require hauling a bit of gear and hopefully packing out some meat. She's not a big gal - slim, about 5 foot and a 100 pounds, but very strong (competitive gymnast). I'd like to find her a decent hunting/hiking pack that she can use now and hopefully into the future. My fingers are crossed that she'll draw a youth ibex or sheep hunt here. At the least, we'll start venturing further off the beaten path for elk and deer and such.

Anyone have any success stories about women's packs?

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
15 isn't that young I took my children on week long back backing trips starting at 8 years old.

I had to modify packs to fit them.

Any of the better pack makers should be able to provide a pack that is right for her.

It is all about how much you want to spend.

Just make sure the pack fits her she most likely has a little growth coming but she might not at 15.

I like to stick with the 1/3 of body weight rule so you are looking at max pack weight for her around 33 pounds.

Any of the pack makers mentioned in the other thread on packs are very good.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...0106493/m/8211020832

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mystery Ranch came out with a women's only Metcalf pack. About time. One of their most versatile packs.

Kifaru has been the most mentioned brand I have seen when women are concerned.

My wife is 5'4" 120 pounds and has used my Seek Outside with their small belt. I use the medium belt. Worked well for her. She carried about 20-40 pounds in it depending on the day.

Today's packs are very adjustable. Good time to be a woman in the outdoors. So many more companies make good gear for them than even 10 years ago.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ram,

I have my 12 yo daughter in on the same hunts! Ibex, gemsbok, ... looking forward to the responses.

Wish your girl luck!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 538 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Not sure what type of pack your after but Kelty makes externals in kids, women and man sizes. I believe quite a few of the makers of the non hunting specific brands do also. So unless you must have a camo pack check them out.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote