Find
Notify
Tools

Trouser Question...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted
I am re-working my gear list for mid-September in Idaho Unit 20A.

Seems every time I go, I change or drop at least several items. Getting older makes you scrutinize the ounces all the more!

Anyone who has hunted the early season in 20A at 6 - 8,000 feet knows it can get pretty warm. It is almost a sure bet that I will be hiking in wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Mornings in the 30s though will not be fun without some warm clothes. And on the outside chance it rains the whole time...

Right now, my gear list has a pair of surplus Marine issue wool trousers. I picked up a dozen pairs of these for $1 each in Jacksonville, NC when I was a Lejeune in the 70's. Been using them ever since!

Trouble is, they weigh 35 ounces!

Can someone tell this old-school fellow what trouser material out there can rival wool for windy, cold, wet weather, without the weight? Polyester fleece??

tia,

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
This is what I'm finding....anything better out there?

http://www.rei.com/product/770890

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Tim, check out this thread. The L.L. Bean trousers that I mention are the best I have found. Other posters had a number of different suggestions as well.

High Tech Trousers

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link MR! I missed that thread.

It was very helpful.

I tried to find a weight on the LLB trousers and came up empty. Any idea how much they weigh in your size?

Tim

0351 USMC

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
My pleasure. I remembered that thread because I posted on it and thought it might be helpful.

My L.L. Bean Gore-Tex trousers are are lighter than my wool or cotton trousers.

I'm not sure exactly how light they are, but they are light!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have the LL Beans pants and they are a favorite, they are available in camo and dark green. I have both. If you watch the sales this summer on the website you might see them for 50% off.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, LLBean has a factory outlet in Freeport Maine where they sell returns and 2nds. If you guys happen to head out this way, it would be a fantastic place to hit up! Best part is its only a few hundred yards from there normal store that is open 24-7!
For myself I m a poor man, and have to keep a eye out for any deals possible. LLBean for me is about 1 1/2 hour trip one way. Haven't made it recently due to the cost of gas and there equipment.

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
James until September I am 8 miles from Beans. I hit it up once or twice a week. In a few months when the turkey season is over and the fall stuff is starting to flow in the prices will change.

They do new colors on most of the camo every year. Good way to get stuff cheap.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arborwear Tech pants. These are not the cotton pants but the quick drying synthetic.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can find some of the thinner Marine Officer pants, they might work, I think that is what my brother uses.

I use Filson 17oz wool whipcord pants on most every fall hunt. They are kinda pricey but they are perfect.

Also if you think it will be above 50 degrees durring the day wear silk long underware, not poly propoline. Trust me on this, it makes a BIG difference.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use fleece pants, helly hansen long underwear and if it gets cold some rain pants over top as windbreakers. When it's really warm out and I'm not hunting I wear just the HH underwear. Too bad they don't make the stuff in green or tan because the black sure shows up a long ways off. Wool is nice but as you know it's pretty heavy and way more so once it's wet. So I save the wool for cold and dry conditions.

the chef

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
I usually find wool dress pants at the Lands End annual tent sale in Dodgeville for around $12-15.

L.L. Bean Washable Year-Round Wool Trousers $69
L.L. Bean Washable Wool Pants 13.5 oz./sq. yd. $69
L.L. Bean Maine Guide Wool Pants, Men's Four Pocket 12 oz./sq.yd. $79

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I don't personally like wool, the cost and weight per warmth is not very good.

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I've been wearing Filson single tin pants for 25 yrs but my wife got me a pair of Mammut's last yr and the are great!Lite,dry fast, and gray color (rocks), don't call the hall they do it all. They do seem to be rather spendy though>

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
I enjoy wool for its ability to keep you worm even when wet. It has gotten me out of a few issues in the past. Wink I also guess I v grown fawn of it due to the fact I started civil war reenacting in '97 when I was 16.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I shot five stand today and wore my pair of Blaser Argalis, they are uninsulated.
With the wind blowing about 30 miles an hour and the temp at about 40 I was still comfortable.

In wool I would have been unhappy but warm.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:

Also if you think it will be above 50 degrees durring the day wear silk long underware, not poly propoline. Trust me on this, it makes a BIG difference.

Absolutely!
My gear : silk liner, wool outer (King of the Mountain), and a lt. wt goretex weathershell parka and pants if needed.

I'm looking seriously at KOM's newer Omnilite and Omnitherm, though I find it hard to justify because my old stuff has not worn out (Their stuff is too good, mine is about 17 years old, I think.)
(Correction by my hunting Buddy, 21 years.)

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to spend the cash, King of the Mountain bun lite pants are a very good wool pant. Once again, very pricy but the best you can buy in my opinion.

http://shop.kingofthemountain.com/

Posts: 30 | Location: SE Alaska | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are interested in going synthetic I just ordered some Sitka Gear Acent pants. Good lightweight, wind and water resistant without being too hot. I pack my PVC H/H bibs to go over the top to deal with the real wet stuff here in AK.
Other than that, many guys around here (comercial fisherman, guides) go with Gundens fleece pants most of the time. Very lightweight, dries fast and warm.

Good luck.

Posts: 30 | Location: SE Alaska | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually hunt during most of the season in a pair of Johnson's (of VT) wool pants. If really cold I use wool bibs. If really cold and windy I will use a very lightweight windbreaker under the woolies. If raining, well, then rain gear.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
What are some good places to buy wool clothing?

NRA LIFE MEMBER

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
One can find a variety of wool clothing at Sierra Trading Post. I purchase 100% wool dress pants with original prices of $125-$150 for $20-$40 and wear them outdoors for 3-seasons until they are not servicable any longer. They also have a variety of merino wool sweaters under $50 that are great for layering. There are even some good prices on Smartwool and Columbia.

Also try Montana Woolen Shop and Bemidji Woolen Mills.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

NRA LIFE MEMBER