New
Find
Notify
Tools

Freeze dried pork chops
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anybody here tried the Mountain House Freeze Dried Pork Chops?

If so, what did you think about them?

I tried them! They're good!

Tastes like ......and has the same texture as lean pork chops.

After being reconstituted with lukewarm water, they need to be cooked...... because they are raw pork.

They are about 3 1/4" in diameter and about 5/16" thick ...... so cook (grill or fry)
'em hot and not too long.

34 chops in the #10 can. Two chops per meal is about enough for me.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not tried the pork chops, but many years ago, the wife and I backpacked a bunch, and ate a lot of freeze dried rib eye steaks. I am pretty sure they were Mountain House.

And you are correct. Once reconsituted,and cooked, they were hard to tell from the "real" thing.

They were good.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I could find those freeze dried steaks. Frowner

It was hard enough to find the pork chops.

BTW - Emergency Essentials is having a sale on Mountain House freeze dried and pre-cooked Louisiana shrimp. I'm going to give these a try too.

I break down the #10 can into individual meal sized portions then vacuum pack them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We also ate some of their freeze dried breakfast sausage. It was very good as well.

And if you use really cold water, they had some freeze dried neopolitan ice cream.

It sure tasted good on top of the mountain.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
And if you use really cold water, they had some freeze dried neopolitan ice cream.

I like the freeze dried neopolitan dry. Its awesome to take for a treat every couple days.

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried the freeze dried ice cream sandwiches dry....... they were OK..... but I wasn't crazy about them. Rather chalky in texture.

Back to the pork chops.......

I made a sort of gravy with Savory Choice Liquid Chicken broth packets, boiling water, and thickened it up a bit with Idahoan instant garlic mashed potatoes to achieve a gravy like texture.

Quite good! A tad bit too salty for my taste. I'll probably be switching to the low sodium version of the Savory Choice chicken broth.

Oh, and I shortened the cooking time on the chops....... much more tender and not so dry!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for that kind of thing find a Mormon.

The Mormon church used to require that each household
keep a 1year supply of food onhand.

I've heard that they have relaxed that requirement, but many still observe it.

Generally even a non-observant mormon will know where to buy such things.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen it was never required but always recommended, still is. Originally it was 7 years.

Not a bad idea for anyone to have extra supplies on hand when you look at some of the disasters that now seem to happen around the world.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They also did freeze dried cube steaks which were pretty good. My favorite is the freeze dried chicken chunks which you can also eat dry.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My basic point was that "a Mormon will know"

And while I'm not a mormon I also think it's a damned good idea.

But I store some things in quantity that a mormon would never think of storing... if those things were even allowed to them.... like the 5gallon stainless steel container of azeotropic alcohol that is "in a safe place" and it's friends that are in other "Safe places".

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote