New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re-waterproofing rain gear
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have seen various products to us to re- waterproof ones rain gear. Has anyone used these products? Do they work?

If so, which product would you recommend?

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have used this product from Walmart for years.

I spray pop up blinds, rain gear, hats, tents, camp chairs, packs, down parkas, and even my Carhart brown duck chore clothing.

Water just rolles off

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gee Larry? From reading AR for many years before joining I had come to the conclusion that you were the expert on AR about everything related to hunting. Do tell!

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I've used several brands to reproof my rain gear. They all seem to do a good job if the directions are followed. I would use a brand specifically designed to do goretex and the like. Not like the one pictured above. That would tend to clog up the pores in breathable fabrics.

Sorry I can't remember off the top of my head a specific brand right now. Any backpacking store would have several to choose from.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of them are a silicon based coating of some ilk. They are a top coat for the fabric that keeps the top layer of fabric (or tries to) from soaking up and retaining water. If the top layer gets soaked (wets out), the membrane can't do its job, and you get wet.

The spray on ones like above are pretty good, but the solvents in them can damage the fabric you are coating. Test a spot. They also smell for a while. Scotch Guard is the one we are usually familiar with. Same thing, different name.

The procedure is to wash in a technical wash like Sportswash. Not a regular laundry detergent. Those have scents and softeners that coat the cloth and diminish the DWR treatment. After washing properly, you may not need to retreat.

Next reproof using Nikwax and/or ReviveX. I use both. There are others, but these have worked for me. I wash in Nikwax soap, dry with their DWR treatment for hardshells, then spray down with ReviveX twice. First coat will soak in. Second coat will go on and stay wetter, then dry.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

I have a Kuiu rain suit that about a year or so old. I took it to Alaska last year. I have used it a bit locally. I am going back to Alaska . I have been thinking of waterproofing with these treatments before I go just to be safe.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would call Kuiu CS to ask which product /procedure they recommend. They have Nikwax products on their website, under Mountain gear.

Posts: 132 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
All of them are a silicon based coating of some ilk. They are a top coat for the fabric that keeps the top layer of fabric (or tries to) from soaking up and retaining water. If the top layer gets soaked (wets out), the membrane can't do its job, and you get wet.

The spray on ones like above are pretty good, but the solvents in them can damage the fabric you are coating. Test a spot. They also smell for a while. Scotch Guard is the one we are usually familiar with. Same thing, different name.

The procedure is to wash in a technical wash like Sportswash. Not a regular laundry detergent. Those have scents and softeners that coat the cloth and diminish the DWR treatment. After washing properly, you may not need to retreat.

Next reproof using Nikwax and/or ReviveX. I use both. There are others, but these have worked for me. I wash in Nikwax soap, dry with their DWR treatment for hardshells, then spray down with ReviveX twice. First coat will soak in. Second coat will go on and stay wetter, then dry.

Jeremy

Good info. Those are two of the brands I've used in the past. Both worked as advertised.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, since you mentioned it is Kuiu gear I wouldn't put anything on it before consulting with Jason over there. I am sure they can advise on this.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kuiu recommended the Nikwax products to me. They sell them on their website as well. They just said stay away from solvents if you can.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote