THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    why are packs so heavy nowdays?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

why are packs so heavy nowdays?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well the title says it all. I'm flabbergasted at the weight of the "new" packs. I've picked up some of the eberlestock (sp) and shockey packs and they weigh a ton....empty!!! Gosh my daypack Doesn't weigh much more than these things and it's got lots of gear in it.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
Well the title says it all. I'm flabbergasted at the weight of the "new" packs. I've picked up some of the eberlestock (sp) and shockey packs and they weigh a ton....empty!!! Gosh my daypack Doesn't weigh much more than these things and it's got lots of gear in it.

the chef

chef, how much capacity do you need (? cu. in. of space)?

If you can get by with something smaller than the giant 4,000+ cubic inchers, you can go a lot lighter.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
The older I get the more the packs weigh.... jumping

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I skip the "hunting" packs and use the ones designed for serious mountain climbers because I think they are more comfortable, and probably lighter too.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500, I think you're on the money with that idea. I went to Montana last weekend and looked at some "hunting" packs and I'd never buy one, that's for sure. I think I'll mosey into a "granola" store and tell the yuppies or whatever they call themselves nowdays that I need a pack for hunting.

the chef

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Look at the Osprey packs. I picked up one of their Talon models this spring and it works great for me. It is also very comfortable.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the think only came in some bright color just buy a dull colored rain cover....REI sells some that come in slate gray and weigh just ounces. I think they are silicon coated nylon, very light, will keep rain off, some are so big you could almost use them as a bivy sack(if you are 4'6"). I have borrowed my wife's large Osprey Luna pack....purple womens pack, BUT it is more comfortable than my old external frame!

My two cents,

-phil

Posts: 126 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I'll second the Osprey packs, I have an Aether70 and the wife has an Areil60 which we use for sheep hunting. Very comfortable and roomy.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M70Nut:
I'll second the Osprey packs, I have an Aether70 and the wife has an Areil60 which we use for sheep hunting. Very comfortable and roomy.

I thought all you Alaskan's used Barney's Packs. jumping

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Not this Alaskan, people can rave about the Barney's pack all they want but IMO, their nothing but overpriced and overglorified Freighter frames with upgraded hardware. To each his own!! Wink

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
Since the non-hunting packs tend to be narrower do you use any sort of gun caddy or just shoulder it once you have the pack on?

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A guess calgarychef1 you have never lifted any of the 50,s and 60,s canvas and very heavey frame alum tubing packs then.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not this Alaskan, people can rave about the Barney's pack all they want but IMO, their nothing but overpriced and overglorified Freighter frames with upgraded hardware. To each his own!! Wink
+1.....at last someone finally said it!! clap

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that the Barney's frames are so "in" due to the lack of experience by many of their most out-spoken fans, with any of the other currently available highend hunting packs. I have noticed that those who rave about them are the same people whose yearly "backpacking" activity is confined to packing out a Moose with a buddy or three and who claim to be sheep hunters near "home".

I have owned and used and BROKEN several Camptrails packs, these were about all one could buy here when I was young and working in the bush carrying a backpack every day for months on end. NO frame pack that I ahve ever seen or used will carry weight like a Mystery Ranch NICE system and I have used frames from the USA, Canada, the UK, Germany and Sweden.

I gotta agree with the last two Alaskans, a Barney's is NOT in my future, but, a full custom, large, "full Dyneema McHale may well be.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
another option to throw in the mix is Granite Gear's Stratus Flatbed. And although while I haven't seen the Mystery Ranch pack Dewey speaks of, if it's like anything else Dana Gleason came up with it's damn good.

Posts: 54 | Location: Newport, WA-Susanville, CA | Registered: 04 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
As you can see barneys works for all ages too, me with the pinnacle Pack, and my son with the Hunter pack...and it shows with the results.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
This thread's a little old but I just had to throw my two cents in.

I too have wondered why a pack needs to weigh 10 lbs. or so empty. I can maybe see it if a guy is a guide and uses it constantly. Then it might be worth the extra durability but for the average hunter it seems a bit of overkill. But heavy duty sells right now and the young pups buying them seem to like them. For me I want a pack to have the features I want and no more plus be durable and light weight.

Heck I've been using the same Kelty Super Tioga just for packing duties for the last 15 years or so. It's still going strong. No it's not camo colored and doesn't have a gun carrying system on it, but it's carried many a load of deer, elk, bear and one cougar in comfort and without fail. I used to be an avid backpack hunter so I've owned many packs over the years.

I'm not trying to knock what a guy chooses, I just question the real need for some of the big name brands need to be so over built. I think the hunt pack manufactures have much to learn from the mountainiering crowd.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Heck I've been using the same Kelty Super Tioga just for packing duties for the last 15 years or so. It's still going strong. No it's not camo colored and doesn't have a gun carrying system on it, but it's carried many a load of deer, elk, bear and one cougar in comfort and without fail. I used to be an avid backpack hunter so I've owned many packs over the years.

+1

My Tioga has been in use since 1987. No telling how many miles on it between training and trips.

I guess I will retire it one day...

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:

.. Thats the idea ... . The freighter frame is tough . and affordable , and pretty light ..... But the suspension wasn,t very comfortable ... The Frontier Gear /Barney,s solved that with the Y suspension and a Huge tough bag ... They can comfortably pack 120 lbs . I,ve carried Alot more on them and as long as you adjust them correctly they are great .....

AK Sheep Hunter ; I can,t believe you still have the hoops on those packs ....yuk.

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First off - I hate backpacks, I hate packframes, I hate carrying things.

Second - As much as I hate it, I still use them.

Third - I tried three different types prior to a sheep hunt. I settled on the Cabela's Alaskan Guide pack and frame because it fit the best and was relatively light.

Fourth - At the end of the hunt, I left it in Alaska for the guides. I hate packs. My next hunt, I will survey the market again and see what is out there. If I were to use one every day or was a camper, I would go with the lightest internal frame I could find, use it for a season, throw it away and get a new one the next year.

Fifth - a pack that fits is the priority for me.

PS - did I mention I hate packs?

Posts: 10194 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Why do you hate packs ???????????????? I suppose the alternative would be to hire your own personal packer ??????? A good pack is a great thing ......... Kindof like a pickup truck ,,,with feet ..

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sherpi
posted Hide Post
Dogcat have you considered getting a Camel or a Lama for carring your stuff. A horse is also handy.

Sauer and Zeiss, perfect match.
Sherpi

Posts: 134 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote