Find
Notify
Tools

Big Boy day - 3-day BackPack
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
Well, I am just beating myself up looking at what pack would be best for me to take on all day to 3-dat jonts into the wilderness.

I am 6'8" and 300 pounds.....what pack for stepp timber hunting in the 3000-7000 feet elevation range?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I nrecommend you go to a real backpacking store, that has somebody that knows, and have him fit you.

Years ago I thought I wanted a Lowe pack.

I went to a real backpacking store, and the fella there took one look at me and said, because of your body size you would be better off with a Gregory, and fitted one to me.

They sold both kinds.

Plus you can tell him what you are planning on doing and he can pick the correct model of pack for you.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest calling Mark Seacat, at Mystery Ranch Packs, in Bozeman, MT, 406-585-1428 and asking him to assist you with fit and choice of pack. I have had nine packs from the founder of MR, Dana Gleason and am currently buying another discontinued model, my original is 31 yrs. old and still works like new. I sold one and had one stolen and now will have eight among my other packs.

I have owned both Gregory and Lowe packs and many others from various places in the world and Mystery Ranch makes the best production packs I have ever had. Another option is to have Dan McHale make you a custom hunting pack and he is a fine chap who builds fabulous, but, costly, packs.

Mark and Andrew Crow at MR are serious hunters, have climbed Denali and are about the nicest young men you could ever deal with. They KNOW their stuff and CAN get you into a pack, made in the USA, that will work for you and last your lifetime...and, IMHO, at a reasonable price.

Do not waste your time dealing with kids who own/use "offshore" crap and go on nicey-poo little hikes on weekends and work in trendy gear stores where everybody eats nothing but tofu, granola and beansprouts.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do not waste your time dealing with kids who own/use "offshore" crap and go on nicey-poo little hikes on weekends and work in trendy gear stores where everybody eats nothing but tofu, granola and beansprouts.

LOVE IT~
Been looking into backpacks now for sometime myself. I keep hearing about these guys at MR. I ll have to log back in and take another look around.
Is a trend really worth your life? Use what you know works and stick with it.

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
aHaHaHa! Laughing here in Atlanta!

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
got a wolfpack gear 'back country'

its a fire pack, but i use it for fires the most.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out www.kifaru.net