New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mistake? Bibler Fitzroy....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know it's a little late to ask now..... since I've already got my Bibler (Black Diamond) Fitzroy.

But is there a four-season tent that can do what the Fitzroy does for less money?

TIA!

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
sure, but the most are less good quality...

the exped tents are nice as well, but personally i would take the fitzroy OR the bd guiding light...

here are the expeds:
www.gecko-climbing.de

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't care for the BD tents as much as I did the original Bibler models, one of which I owned and used from 1991 to 2007. The problem is the shiney coating on the fabric, supposedly a fire retardant, that tends to impede the permeability, IMO.

While I consider Integral Designs to be THE best singlewall tents and have two of them, along with three of their bivies, two Hilleberg tents and a Kifaru 8-man tipi, the Fitzroy is a VERY strong design, albeit rather a pita to erect, especially in a strong wind.

There are few tents I would prefer to BE IN during a very harsh storm with high winds, heavy snow and low temps. My Hilleberg Saivo is my first choice for this use and beyond compare, IME, but, your Fitzroy WILL keep your azz safe in some pretty audacious weather.

I would practice erecting it at home until it is second nature to do it, even in the dark, as the day may come when this skill can save you from a nasty experience.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
HILLEBERG!!!! you won't go wrong, despite spending the $$$$

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote