Find
Notify
Tools

Need a new pack
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

Haven't bought a hunting pack in years and am looking to get a new one. However, not sure how to sort through all the products out there. Wondering if someone could offer some help? Not looking for a fanny pack or harness pack but will max out around 2200 cubic inch pack I guess based upon size and needs.

thanks.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Check out badlands, they make some great backpacks.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ExpressYourself
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of great packs to consider. I am very happy with my Kifaru products. Pay attention to overal weight when comparing like products. A pound here or there adds up quickly. You may want to compare the Kifaru Spike Camp or the Late Season with other packs you are considering. Kifaru also offers ultralights as well such as the KU2200. I typically put around 15 miles per week on my packs rain or shine year round in mountain environments. The Kifaru packs hold up well!

Shawn Joyce
Diizche Safari Adventures
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648
E-mail: shawn.joyce@diizchesafariadventures.net
Cell: (916) 804-3318

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™
Website- www.DiizcheSafariAdventures.com
Blog- http://diizchesafari.blogspot.com/
Twitter- http://twitter.com/DiizcheSafari
YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/user/shawncjoyce
Facebook- http://on.fb.me/gYytdn
Instagram: diizchesafari_official

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I strongly recommend Mystery Ranch, the "3-Day Assault Pack" for what your posted needs.

I have had many packs, Badlands(2) and Kifaru(2) and Mystery Ranch are THE BEST available production packs with the best customer service. Can't beat them, my first is from 1978 and still good.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I'll give all those mentioned a look.

Jeff

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Wanting to save every bit of weight I could, I've just bought an Arcteryx Ciero 35 (the size you want) but it hasn't arrived yet and I don't know if they are as strong as you need.

They only weigh a bit over a pound but colours are not great for hunting. They can extend to 40 litres, it seems.

Posts: 4972 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
Mystery Ranch packs get a lot of favorable reports, but I went with an Eberlestock Just One because of its features and the strong recommendations of the Eastmans of Eastmans Hunting Journals, http://www.eastmans.com/. For my purposes, that looked best for me and it has a built-in scabbard.

quote:
Originally posted by Dewey:
I strongly recommend Mystery Ranch, the "3-Day Assault Pack" for what your posted needs.

I have had many packs, Badlands(2) and Kifaru(2) and Mystery Ranch are THE BEST available production packs with the best customer service. Can't beat them, my first is from 1978 and still good.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a Badlands 2200 and love it. All those mentioned above are good, just make sure you try it on (preferably with some weight) before you buy

Alex

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Anjin:
Mystery Ranch packs get a lot of favorable reports, but I went with an Eberlestock Just One because of its features and the strong recommendations of the Eastmans of Eastmans Hunting Journals, http://www.eastmans.com/. For my purposes, that looked best for me and it has a built-in scabbard.

[QUOTE]

I own the Just One pack. Used it a lot over the last two years. Great pack for sheep/elk hunts. I do think it is a bit heavy though. Most day hunts I just use a simple open bag back pack of a rather small size. Very light and all I need for most day hunts. I don't pack much for a day hunt---try to leave most crap in camp.
If I am out for over-night or multiple days and packing on my back, then I pull out the bigger packs Like my Just One.

Has anyone used the Outdoorsman's pack system out of AZ??????? They have some interesting large packs

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
As an update, I've just been hunting with the Arcteryx Ciero 35 in NZ and it did not come unstuck. Despite its waterproof looks, however, it did leak a bit, maybe through the fabric.

Posts: 4972 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just opted for the Eberlestock X1. I hunt with bow and rifle, sometimes like to carry both and this pack carries each seperatly or both together on the pack. The 2800 ci is actually a little large, but will provide the necessary equipment for an overnight if the situation comes up. In elk hunting here out West there are times I opt to stay put at night rather than make a 4 or 5 mile trip back to camp.

The quality appears to be really good and I have a couple of friends who have used this pack on three sheep hunts with complete satisfaction. Wish it would take a Camelback hydration bladder rather than having to purchase the one from Eberlestock, but oh well, at least it has the water carrying capability. I will give the pack a rundown with several trips this Summer scouting new country for the Fall seasons. Looking forward to giving it a go.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
Larry, some of the eBay Eberlestock resellers offer various sized hydration bladders that are not from Eberlestock. They should fit. Mine does. There are several makers out there besides Camelback. Some are very cheap.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Norm will check some out ASAP.

Larry Sellers

quote:
Originally posted by Anjin:
Larry, some of the eBay Eberlestock resellers offer various sized hydration bladders that are not from Eberlestock. They should fit. Mine does. There are several makers out there besides Camelback. Some are very cheap.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Kifaru Ultralight series. A 5200 cu. in. pack weighs in at less than 3 lbs. and is what I use.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Posts: 83 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote