New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W Backpack 44 magnum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone shot or carried/handled one of these S&W Alaska backpack 44 magnum scandium units?What are your thoughts on this revolver and how is the accuracy,recoil,etc....

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would make a lot more sense with a longer (4"+) barrel.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer/pack the 329PD-4"Bbl'd version w/ Crimson Trace grips installed in a Galco Miami Vice horizontal shoulder rig.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Certainly with a magnum load the 2" is not a good idea.4" is much better.The light weight frames are not comfortable with magnum loads.44Special or reduced handloads will be much better.
Is that one of those plastic glow front sights ? I have no use for that .My old M29 with orange insert sight would be different by 2 clicks at 50 yds depending on whether I was in the sun or shade.Same problem with my Benelli shotgun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
People up here have had some problems with the full house loads. They start having problems with the frames twisting a bit.
The Rugers in the backpackers seem to be holding up better.
I went with 500SW with 4 inch barrel. It doesn't really kick that bad considering what it throws out. It is a bit heavier though.
44 Specials with the heavier bullets would be fine for a tent gun. You should mount a lanyard to the bottom of it and find some flourescent paint for lanyard and grips. That way you can see in the dark.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
It looks like a gun that should be carried alot but shot very little!!

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A piece like that is more "fantasy" than reality in Alaskan or BC bear country, IMHO. I have a 5.5" sts. Redhawk and with serious handloads, it is an easy gun to shoot.

Even as a ...tent gun..., the best use for a revolver in grizzly country, this one would blind you with it's muzzle flash and only allow one shot as the muzzle jump would be extreme with any serious loads.

A S&W "Classic" in 4 or 5" tube is about as light a .44Mag. as I want to shoot magnum level loads from and these weigh abouty 5 oz. less than my Redhawk, these are the best option for a bear pistol, IMHO.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Dewey, the flash from that short barrel would blind you and that is the last thing you would need with a large bear trying to get into your tent. I agree that 4" would be a minimum bbl length and a few extra oz's would help with the recoil recovery. Ruger Redhawk or Colt Anaconda with a 4" - 6" bbl would be my pick for a serious bear country handgun. I do have a Taurus Total Titanium in 45LC w/4" ported bbl that is lightweight, but will not shoot real heavy loads out of it so that would be staying at home.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post

I carry this one, and yes it hurts to shoot. I use that leather glove, AND wrap a hand-towel around the grip to practice. BTW, these are usually available cheap with only one round fired CRYBABY

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
I picked up a 2" 629 a couple of years ago, it is much easier to handle than the 4" 329pd. I would recommend the stainless steel frame if you plan to shoot it more than once a year.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help! thumb
After finding these pics,iam gonna regroup on the scandium's... rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is appearant that some can/will screw up an anvil with a feather duster!!

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:
I prefer/pack the 329PD-4"Bbl'd version w/ Crimson Trace grips installed in a Galco Miami Vice horizontal shoulder rig.

So you use this Galco system while carrying a pack? I'm thinking about carrying a lightweight mainly for a tent gun, but wonder what most folks use to carry. I have carried on the hipbelt and the sternum strap, but both of these have positives and negatives.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
So what was the deal on the revolver blow up?

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don B:

I carry this one, and yes it hurts to shoot. I use that leather glove, AND wrap a hand-towel around the grip to practice. BTW, these are usually available cheap with only one round fired CRYBABY

I have one of these as well. The recoil was a consideration prior to purchase. But I figured 2 pounds on my hip is better than 3.5 pounds at camp.

The recoil is jarring, but manageable. It was surprisingly accurate as well. In all, a pretty good choice.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
I don't reload so when it came to practice/light loads I found the 45 Long Colt cowboy action loads to be easier to find than 44 specials. As a result I went with the 45 LC. The Ruger is plenty heavy (46 oz) but it shoots nice and the +P loads aren't bad.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since 1974 I have owned several .44 mags with barrels from 7.5" to 3" lengths in both Ruger Black Hawk and S&W persuasion. I kept returning to the 4" S&W. Several years ago I bought a 4" S&W Mountain Gun. I may buy another .44 mag. some day but, I won't ever sell the Mountain Gun. It is as heavy a hand gun as I am willing to pack if I am carrying a rifle and I usually don't carry a .44 if I have my rifle. It is also as light a hand gun as I am willing to shoot full throttle 300 grain bullets out of. A .44 mag. gets better velocity if you stay with a 4' or longer barrel. They are also easier for me to shoot. The Ruger Red Hawk in .44 mag. is a good one if you don't mind the weight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:

So you use this Galco system while carrying a pack? I'm thinking about carrying a lightweight mainly for a tent gun, but wonder what most folks use to carry. I have carried on the hipbelt and the sternum strap, but both of these have positives and negatives.

While certainly not Alaska, I carry while in the backcountry (Adirondacks NY, Green Mts VT, some ME, but mostly Whites in NH) a Glock 27 40cal w. 1 round extension. I have a soft padded holster w. strap that fits pretty well to all 3 sizes of my DanaDesign packs. Readily available, somewhat discreet, and most importantly -- I dont notice it when scrambling up rock or ice.

Negative -- about the only thing that weighs more are my crampons!!!!!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I too would prefer a bit longer barrel then one can down load a bit from max and still maintain some vel.

I carry a TI41 mag now with 210 gr hard cast. But my 44 5.5inch redhawk with 315 hard gas ahead of 22grs of H110 would work better but weighs a lot more.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 329PD that I carry when I hunt. I've replaced the stock Hogue grips with Hogue's made for the 500 S&W. The entire backstrap is now padded and helps considerably with full house .44 mag loads. Most of the time, I practice with .44 Specials or downloaded .44 mag loads, Blue Dot IIRC.

mkane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that the S&W 4" Mountain Gun in 44 Mag, is the best compromise of, size/weight/power/controlability/accuracy, and carryability.

My wife and I both carry one when ever we are in the field.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having had some experience with a light .45ACP (325PD),I have no desire to experience a light .44 Mag (329). Although I am not particularly bothered by recoil in pistols, I once passed up a 629 Mountain Gun because it was obvious (upon actual firing) that the gun would be much slower on the second shot than I considered reasonable for its purpose. Sometimes you just have to put a decent gun (629?) in a decent holster (Summer Special? Renegade? DeSantis?) and put up with the weight.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recono:
Having had some experience with a light .45ACP (325PD),I have no desire to experience a light .44 Mag (329). Although I am not particularly bothered by recoil in pistols, I once passed up a 629 Mountain Gun because it was obvious (upon actual firing) that the gun would be much slower on the second shot than I considered reasonable for its purpose. Sometimes you just have to put a decent gun (629?) in a decent holster (Summer Special? Renegade? DeSantis?) and put up with the weight.

Good advice.

I have shot a couple of Scandium framed 44 Mags, with different full power loads.

IMHO, it is just too much of a good thing...
I have a S&W325 in 45 ACP and I like it, for what it is, recoil not bad at all...

However when you jump up to 44 Mag, you need a steel framed gun IMHO.

When in the field I carry my S&W 44 Mag in a De Santis crossdraw holster.

When I need to carry it conceled I use a Milt Sarks Summer Special.

Recono, the 44 Mag Mountain Gun is a little more "thumpy" than a standard 629, but it ain't that bad, the standard 629 is a little heavier than a 629 Mountain Gun, but not that much more.

one of us
posted Hide Post

I agree. The 4" 29 I was comparing was only a little better. Nowadays, I'm not sure how much I like it with full loads. Yet, I find the 325 acceptable, although it, too kicks some. There are a lot of factors, and what may be a little heavy for one might be just fine for another. Glad you're happy with the 629 - I'm sure carries a bit easier than my 29, and, most important, it won't rust so easily (important to me because I sweat a lot).

Recono

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Recono

While the wife and I carry our Mountain Guns most of the time, if I am going to be shooting near full power loads a fair amount I use the regular 29 or 629.

I really like the "little" 325, as I am fond of the 45 ACP for "urban" use.

I used a Mod 25 6 1/2" and later 6" as a work gun with excellent results.

Prior to "having" to go to the Mod 25, I used a 44 mag as a work gun with full power 44 Mag ammo.

I practiced with it a lot and when needed it worked great.

I do thing that for a fella that wanted to stay with the 44 Calibre, that one of the Scandium framed 44 "Mags" would make a great "urban" gun, with loads in the power range of the 45 ACP.. In such a light weight gun, even for a very experienced 44 Mag shooter, with full power ammo it has too much recoil/too long a recovery time, IMHO.

I would like to have a smaller more compact 44 Mag, as a spare gun on hunting trips, when I get one, it will have a steel frame, most likely.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course the beauty of a S&W 44 Mag, is you do not always have to shoot full power 44 Mag loads...

You only need to use them when you need them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I would like to have a smaller more compact 44 Mag, as a spare gun on hunting trips, when I get one, it will have a steel frame, most likely.

Tony,

Smith makes a model called the Trail Boss. Staniless with a 629 frame, 3" barrel that comes with a ported option. Not much weight savings, but it at least looks more compact than other 629's.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Jim,
I shot your Trail Boss in Brady,to finish that one hog,I thought it was a slick little gun,no recoil !!

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim,

I have actually shot the 3" and the 2 1/2" steel framed 44 Mags..

I like the "looks" of the 2 1/2", as it liiks like a 2 1/2 inch model 19/66.

I just like the look of it better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
Jim,
I shot your Trail Boss in Brady,to finish that one hog,I thought it was a slick little gun,no recoil !!

And you dispatched him with authority!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own (but rarely shoot) one of the 329PD'S by S&W. If anyone has any details on the photo's posted by BlackBearHunter, I would appreciate hearing them.

I bought it for a backpacking carry gun but, to echo others on here, about three shots with the .44 mag loads are enough practice for me, and I have "workin' hands". ow.

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote