New
Find
Notify
Tools

Huy Fong Foods "Sriracha"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is anybody here familiar with this stuff?

I love it!

I usually put it in the refrigerator when not in use...... but I've seen it left out on the table at restaurants all day.

My question....... is it safe to store this stuff unrefrigerated for back packing?

I'm thinking of packing it in smaller squeeze tubes for that purpose.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
It's great stuff, and used widely in Vietnamese food. The big company, Huy Fong, operates out of Rosemead, CA, if I am not mistaken. As far as taking it BPing, well, I dunno'. You're right about it sitting on tables in restaurants, but I'm not sure about taking it with you. The ones in restaurants (at least the ones I go to), the bottles on the tables get used over the course of a busy weekend, I would imagine.

I just looked, and saw nowhere on my bottle any warnings about refrigerating after opening. It does have at least two preservative additives, I noted.

HTH,

KG

P.S. I have noted in my experience that my home bottle gets *hotter*, taste wise, with age. Wink Oh, and I like a man who is serious about his condiments. Big Grin

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KG, I think Sriracha chilli sauce has storage charachteristics similar to ordinary tomato catsup.

I plan to get some smaller food grade squeeze tubes to fill with Sriracha just before I head out.

I was hoping I could find a source of individual packets of Sriracha, but no luck.

I did, however, discover a VERY INTERESTING SITE. Individual Sizes

Man, they've got about every individual sized (and small sized) condiment, dressing, seasoning, spreads you could think of ..... EXCEPT FOR SRIRACHA! Mad

Lobster Pate w/cognac, anybody? Wink

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote