New
Find
Notify
Tools

packable 22
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
Rather than backpack hunting, does anyone have suggestions for a packable 22 rifle that breaks down and isn't too heavy or bulky? My thoughts run from a 10/22 with one of the takedown stocks (which is a bit too heavy and bulky for what I want) to a browning 22 auto (weight again though) to possibly an AR7 (weight is OK but stock waaay too bulky, possibly make a solid buttstock from wood). A super light single shot would be OK too I think.

Anyway, any thoughts or experiences out there? If pistols weren't such a legal bugaboo in places I'd probably go that route, but that's life.

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you can go pretty light on the 10/22 if you want to spend the money. the ar-7's that I have had pretty much sucked. But you might find a good one. One idea which isn't the fanciest is try one of those chipmunk type "kids rifles" They are single shots but they can be had in stainless. Come with a peep sight and don't weigh much at all. plus if you need a bit more pop you can get one in 22 mag. Another option might be the browning buck mark rifle with one of the carbon fiber barrels. The barrels are made by butler creek and aren't that great but they are quite light and rather short.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I second what palladium has said, I bought an AR-7 in late '72 to carry in my cruiser's vest while working in the B.C. bush; it was a P.O.S. and I sold it to an Indian up at Ingenika in '73. I have considered the Browning as well, but, prefer something in an ultralight, reloadable round for my needs, a radically altered .30-30 with special-purpose loads is an option I have considered....just another possibility.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Chipmunk would make a neat little backpacking rifle with a few modifications. I'd have to the whittle on the comb a little to get at the sights comfortably. The stock could be lightened a little by shortening the fore end and spare wood in the butt could be removed with a drill. This all might be better done on one of their laminated stocks so that the durability of the lightened wood is less of an concern. A fella with access to a machine shop might shave off a few grams of metal but it's pretty light already. BTW count me among those who did not care for their AR-7. Mine was an early 80s Charter Arms; neither accurate nor reliable, light but bulky.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thinkt the Henry AR-7 is the way to go....but not out of the box. I have found a company that makes some great after market stuff for them. I have been wanting to "custumize" one for a while.

AR-7 Stocks and such.

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello;
I use a Savage 24C, Campers companion, I believe they called them. Nice and handy, .22 over 20 gauge. Not the firepower of the above, but you can always put a slug up the barrel and get serious.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, go to the following site. Might be just what you're needing for packing.

www.FeatherUSA.com

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about the Browning Buckmark "rifle"? Probably a little heavier than you have in mind.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/category.asp?value=004B

Another thought--if you can find one--the old Remington synthetic stocked .22s. I have a Nylon 66 semi auto that weighs about 4 lbs. It was made in bolt action as well.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
My friend and I built a light weight 22 for his airplaneback in the early 80's took a Ram line folding stock a ram line carbon barrel and a 2x leupold on it. weighs in less then 5 lbs. Would even be lighter if one for goes the scope.

Posts: 19421 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Veddy interwestin'.

The little Savage singleshot would be my first thought for this project.

Second thought would be to bullpup a 10/22.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
KOOTENAY - a radically altered .30-30 with special-purpose loads is an option I have considered....

Kootenay, just wondering what you might do to alter a Marlin 336 or Winchester 94 in .30-30?

Thanks.

L.W.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
There once was a little 22lr that could be taken appart, with the barrel sliding into the stock. It was ugly but definitely compact and made a great back pack gun for camp meat. Not sure who made it but is was not all that expensive. I don't think you could use a scope on it. Maybe someone will know what I am talking about.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Roscoe, that would be the AR7 mentioned earlier. I've never had one (though always thought they were rather interesting) but most everyone who has had one of them has complained about them.

223 Varmint V thanks for the AR7 link! That does look rather interesting.

Also, thanks to those who mentioned the chipmunk rifle. The funny part is I have one already and hadn't even thought of it! Actually, it is my kids gun but it gives me a platform to experiment with.

If the size fits however, I'll probably go with the papoose. I just do not know how bulky the stock is. I am assuming it is the same as my marlin 60. I think I'll look and see what smaller aftermarket stocks they make for them.

Thanks all so far!

Mark

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an AR7 it's a grand idea....unfortunately it's not reliable. As a "survival gun" is should be a bolt action or a single shot. Semi auto is just too unreliable. Also I get jittery about the method of attaching it to the stock, if the "tab" gets stepped on or otherwise broken it would be a problem.

Truthfully I have no use of a "survival gun" I got enough fat to survive a few nights.

the chef

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If you can live with a single shot, they make a folding stock for the t/c contender, and you have the option of more potent calibers. With a 16 1/2" barrel, I don't think you'll find a more compact fold up rig, and yes I'm kicking myself for having sold mine.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
They're making the Chipmunk in 17 HMR and 22 magnum now too.

Chipmunk Rifle

A takedown Chipmunk with a 2.5x Leupold would be a great pack rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are these available in Canada?

quote:
Originally posted by Skinner.:
They're making the Chipmunk in 17 HMR and 22 magnum now too.

Chipmunk Rifle

A takedown Chipmunk with a 2.5x Leupold would be a great pack rifle.

Posts: 186 | Location: langley,BC | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'll talk my son into posing with his chipmunk tomorrow. They are pretty nice rifles for being so tiny.

A problem I have with them is you have to feed the round into the chamber, you can't just drop it in and expect it to self feed, that won't happen. They would be a real bear to load in the dark, for instance.

Anyway, if you get one I'd suggest don't get the 22Mag or 17 HMR.
My brother got one of the 17 HMR Chipmunks, and he says it is loud as all getout. He has it is easily as loud as his shorty AR 15, so keep that in mind. The regular chipmunks with 22 shorts are really fun guns to shoot. In fact, last fall our dog took off after some critter into the woods and the closest gun was the chipmunk and a box of shorts so I grabbed that and gave chase. Never did catch up with the dog but had a great time shooting up half the box of shorts.

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leanwolff:
Mark, go to the following site. Might be just what you're needing for packing.

www.FeatherUSA.com

L.W.

I've always kinda liked these as well. Never had the opportunity to see one in person, though.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Captain, at the last two Boise Gun Shows, they have had a booth. I've handled the rifles and they seem to be very well made. Two of my friends here have bought them and really like them. They hump around up in the mountains quite a bit and say they pack very well, and are quite accurate. (.22 LR.)

Only caveat I can see is you must buy their magazines. It would be nice if they had a "univeral" type magazine.

L.W.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an AR7 that was made for the Israeli Air Force that works very well and has a wire fold up stock. It is accurate and has threaded muzzle (I don't use). It is reliable with Winchester ammo. They are around but not plentiful.
The Brwoning 22 is my altime carry 22-a Gentleman's Walking Stick".

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
The AR7 is a cheap and fun gun. Not very well made. I wore one out plinking and shooting ptarmigan. The thing was accurate.
I've got a few more, Old Bronco, Savage breakdown with different barrels etc. The one I like is the Springfield M6 Scout. Calibers are 22LR, Magnum, Hornet over a .410. They have a metal folding stock with holes in the stock for spare ammo. The military used to issue them to their pilots for a survival gun. I'm not sure they are available new anymore. You can find them used however.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brasskeeper
posted Hide Post

Posts: 135 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
If you can live with a single shot, they make a folding stock for the t/c contender, and you have the option of more potent calibers. With a 16 1/2" barrel, I don't think you'll find a more compact fold up rig, and yes I'm kicking myself for having sold mine.

Mmmm - now that kinda take my fancy - a larger calibre giving the potential for shot loads / game heads. Self defense, hunting, survival food sourcing - or just plain fun. Would take a bit of beating!

Wonder if you could fit a ghost ring to this set up to really enhance its utility??

rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Henry makes a rifle called the Minibolt.....stainless action and barrel....fiberglass stock....singleshot .22cal.
16.25in barrel...comes w/William's fire sights front & rear...30.25in total length....weighs in at 2# 13.2oz....fits nicely in my LonghunterG pack.....very accurate although the stock is short for adults.....great rifle for the kids as it has a safety on the receiver and has a manual cocking device on the rear of the bolt.....very useful pack rifle.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's interesting the traffic created by the packable 22 and the space blankets!! Some interesting points of view on two useless (apparently) items.

Although I have one....I can't for the life of me actually see a practical use for a "pack gun." I occasionally carry a sling shot for grouse while I'm big game hunting and it helps to fill the pot. In bear country I'd carry a gun capable of calming a bear down. When we go for moose we sometimes bring a 22 as a camp gun for grouse. But honestly I'd never carry a 22 in my pack, it just adds weight.

the chef

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The old Springfield M6 Scout Air Force survival rifle is a good fit for what you described. It came in 22 lr, 22 Mag or 22 Hornet over .410. I think they're discontinued now but they still pop up on the auction sites.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mmmm - now that kinda take my fancy - a larger calibre giving the potential for shot loads / game heads. Self defense, hunting, survival food sourcing - or just plain fun. Would take a bit of beating!

Wonder if you could fit a ghost ring to this set up to really enhance its utility?
I had just such a set up on the Contender with 16-1/4 inch tubes in 223, 30/30, and 44 magnum (do wish I hadn't let this last one go), Williams aperture rear, Choate folder and all. If only Choate used something other than truck tires for their "recoil pads" I might still own a folder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
calgarychef 1,

You carry a slingshot and you're talking about useless & not practical? Smiler Mr. Furry would love you beer

Just kiddin' guy.....to each his own, eh?

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to Canadian tire one year and bought a bear tag--I had already picked up my moose tag earlier. I bought the tag as well as new rubbers for my slingshot. I asked the guy at the counter "how close do I have to get with my slingshot to kill my bear?" His eyebrows went up and his mouth fell open and he just looked at me like I was from Mars... he totally believed me.

Damn it was funny.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GonHuntin:
Marlin Papoose?? 3.25 pounds

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/SelfLoading/70PSS.aspx

If these are as good as the older blue and wood ones, you won't go far wrong. Never had any trouble with mine, no tackholer but an honest 3 MOA, with Winchester Superspeed HP's. Or track down a Savage 24C in good condition.
JMHO

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My TC in 22lr, 1à inch barrel, choate folding stock and scope is heavier than my cz 452 silhouette (standard except for the 18 inch barrel).
The TC is NO light rifle. Compact, but not light...
A pistol with a small scope may be better suited to your needs. The anschutz silhouette is compact, light, and VERY accurate.
http://www.championshooters.com/images/ansguns/1416unlm.jpg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry you ruled out pistols ;-(
I would go for a customized CZ silhouette, then: barrel shortened to 16 inches, stock shortened a bit in the front, and cut behind the action to mount an M4 stock.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Oscar,

I'm sorry I ruled out pistols too! Unfortunately, IIRC some state/national parks have handgun bans, as does Canada. Otherwise a bunch of guns would work.

I also kinda like a readily taken down design like the papoose, as when it was apart it would be less hassle should I run into some officer somewhere concerned that I was carrying a weapon and such nonsense.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Taurus has their model 62 pumps. The 62-C is a takedown carbine in stainless. 4.5 pounds.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my stepson a CZ Scout. This use has crossed my mind. It could be lightened and shoots great. I mounted a Weaver D4 7/8" tube scope on it and it will even return to zero pretty darn good after taking it off. I think it has potential and is utterly reliable. gduffey

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
Hello;
I use a Savage 24C, Campers companion, I believe they called them. Nice and handy, .22 over 20 gauge.

Grizz, the 24-C is what I would choose too! thumb

The .22 barrel is very accurate!

PLUS! You can put one of these babies in the lower tube...... Wink

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw a Keystone Cricket with a plastic stock at Gander Mountain the other day. Unlike the Rogue Rifle Chipmunk the stock allowed me to get down to the sights. It weighs 2.5 pounds, is all of 30 inches long overall, and costs but $99. Hard to argue for a lighter or smaller foraging tool this side of a pistol. About the only downside is the Cricket uses plastic in a few troubling places - particularly the striker - where the Chipmunk is still made with steel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crickets are cute and I gotta wonder if you could run a .22 Mag reamer into the chamber and make a really useful survival/packing gun.....small and not much weight, but packs a punch.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote