Find
Notify
Tools

Ibex Wool Jackets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am curious that not many hunters get into the
Loden treated IBEX Wool Jackets. They are assembled in the USA and are extremely well made.
Presently they have a 40% off deal and they make
them 52 inch chest. The Loden wool is boiled so
it is machine washable without shrinking.

I am just curious why I always hear about crap made in Malaysia or Vietnam that falls apart and you never here about the IBEX stuff.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you referring to the Timaru Jacket?

I don't think there is an importer for the Ibex products here in the uk.

We do have a lot of Swanndri and Swazi stuff though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Vertigo Jacket. Its thin but warm to 0F. Some people complain about the itchiness of wool but I think they are just spoiled.
http://www.ibexwear.com/shop/products/4/0/mens-outlet

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
price may be a consideration, along with the fact that most of us already have a great selection of cold weather gear. The polypropylene stuff is warm, wicks moisture away from the body, and does not itch.

People who break out in hives just by contact with wool products do not consider themselves "spoiled".

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used about every synthetic available and have returned to pure woolen clothing for most backpacking, especially hunting, as nothing works as well. I have ruddy, sun-sensitive skin and some wools do itch and one cannot stand this when sweating and humping a heavy pack in steep country, so, I must agree with the previous poster on this.

I currently have Smartwool ( mediocre), MEC ( very good) and Icebreaker (superb) merino clothing and have not tried Ibex. However, a loden jacket is not a good choice for wearing when carrying a heavy pack as it is too stiff and will not allow your pack waistbelt to fit tightly enough, crucial under heavy loads.

I find that an IB t-shirt, SW longsleeve zip shirt, MEC heavier zip-shirt and very light windproof shell will take me to -10*F and I do not hunt in colder than that as our seasons are over before real cold weather begins. This layering fits so that I can adjust my various packs to fit as they should and still carry 100+lb loads, if I have to.

I was just adjusting an older, used pack I bought to train with so my newer hunting rigs will not get sweaty and loaded a weighed 120 lbs of sandbags this morning. With the layered softer wool clothing, I can get this tuned exactly as I like it and then start with 70 lbs. and work up to 120 as my training progresses.....it's getting so that I "train" more than I hunt....old age is hell! Smiler

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are hunting below freezing then down garments are a good choice...

But Wool is impossible to beat.

The right thickness of wool, layered properly, well there is nothing better.

Most especially if it is wet, and cold.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If, you wear down when it is merely below freezing, you will sweat like a horse and dampen your insulation and then it is useless. Down is for serious, sub-zero cold and is too "warm" for most hunting.

Even in Alberta, Saskachewan and the Peace River region of BC, where it can go down to -60*F in bad winters, down is not really suited for hunting, try Primaloft over merino wool, the best combo available.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kaboku68:
The Vertigo Jacket. Its thin but warm to 0F. Some people complain about the itchiness of wool but I think they are just spoiled.

The biggest problem I find with the back packing designed type jackets is they are often to short in the body length to use whilst hunting.