New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best mountaineering type boot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I grew up in the mountains but never bought expensive boots because we never had the money. Now I am a flatlander in NC. I was hit by a car this year and now have half Ti half shattered lower right leg. The PT says I am almost ready to do some weight bearing work but the only way to do yard work or even think of hunting this fall is to get a good pair of upper calf mountain boots. I am thinking Danners used to be good but Haven't really paid much attention since we have been here in NC for 7 years. One twisted ankle though could really mess me up now. Any suggestions are really appreciated. Looking for something I can wear for decades or years anyway.

Posts: 193 | Location: Raleigh,NC | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I,ve got heavy Danners for work boots, lot more ankle support than some of the cheap boots I,ve bought in the past.. Last pair made it ten years, figure the current pair oughta make it that long too. Being a bit of a cheap skate, I don,t like spending a bunch on boots, but it seems to be cheaper for me in the long run to buy once and cry once.
That being said, I,ve got a pair of Lowe Mountain Extremes in 13 wide that I paid a lot more for than I really wanted to. Mostly pretty comfy, lock my ankles down pretty solid. Not uncomfortable to walk in, plenty of fore and aft flex when needed, don,t think they,ve even come close to letting my ankles roll over.
I,ve got a pair of Chippewa loggers that I wear once in a while, like socks with soles by comparison.. I drive for a living, can,t afford to bust an ankle, so I figure it,s cheaper in the long run for me to get boots that provide a little protection when I,m out goofing off.

Kinda the opposite, a flatlander from Saskatchewan who ended up in the mountains,never had the money for expensive boots when I was growin up.

Scarpas are good solid boots too, bit too narrow for me. Theres some good stuff out there, once you find something that seems to fit well, you might try walking up and down some stairs, make sure theres no tight spots or too short for your toes.

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks I am definitely looking for a boot I can hike and hunt in the mountains in but also break in around the house if that exists. I tend to wear my boots forever so prefer something that I can get resoled once I break them in. Thanks for the suggestions.

Posts: 193 | Location: Raleigh,NC | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
I am an expert when it comes to ankles, boots and hunting, especially in the mountains, having had problems for 20 years and climbed Kilimanjaro, and done lots of walking. No matter what boot you use, tape your ankle using a non stretch tape to stabilise and prevent any lateral movement. Google "ankle taping" for videos. Good Luck and don't let it hold you back!

Posts: 263 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gremcat, sorry about your accident! I bet your rehab has been tough. Boot fit is a personal thing, but, I would suggest you look at Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. They are stiff mountain boots that provide excellent support. They do take a while to break in but once broken in, they are extremely comfortable. I'm in my 3rd year with mine and they still look almost new. Oh, and they can be resoled.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lowa Tibets are awesome! Ive had mine about 5 years and after several trips out west they are holding up great. They are very comfortable after being broken in. I am hunting Mt Goat next year and am thinking about ordering the taller insulated version(Sheep Hunters) just for some more ankle support and warmth. Im sure the Tibets would work fine though. I have been looking at the Kenektrecs(spelling?) also.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE