Find
Notify
Tools

Hike Trailer.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted
I am looking at starting overnight backpacking trips,my knees are not in the best of shape,I am wondering if I can pull a trailer instead of carrying a heavy back pack on my shoulders thus reducing the stress on my knees? anybody else do this? would love to hear of your experiences,thanks.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bal, probably depends on what kind of trails you plan on using. We hike in to a favorite fishing pond about 2 miles in, along a smooth horse trail, hauling a canoe on bicycle wheels and all the fishing gear. I fear that on a more typical hiking trail, you'd spend more time f'ing with the trailer than hiking.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Jon,
This is a kinda live & learn thing,I want to pick up pointers from other members,so far searching on here,I have come across the Dixon Rollerpack,seems interesting & should be ok for most trails?

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can probably use it on a lot of trails on National Forest System and BLM lands, but no wheeled vehicles are allowed in wilderness areas. Don't blame the Forest Service or BLM. It is due to the law passed by your senators and representatives. This also applies to wheeled carts sometimes used by hunters to pack out deer and elk.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at some of the single wheel carts out there.

Again a no go in the wilderness areas where one would really need it.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting stuff, and not too much more than the new-style backpacks.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14370 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HI I am in the middle of making one out of some canoe wheels used for portaging. I have an area where I get in as far as 20 km on good even trail with only a few areas I would have to carry it over, and a couple of creeks etc.
I will let you know how it goes. Sort of like a travois on wheels....

I suppose its more of a case of discovering the place where you could use such a thing then making one, rather than make one and go out and trying to find a place yu could use it in.

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dixon Rollerpack

Wonder if you replaced the wheel with a skid would it still be viable

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should consider the Pack Wheel, which is really an E-bike version of a game cart. They can hold 200 pounds easily, and go up to 50 miles on a charge.
Makes packing camp gear into the mountains a breeze. I have been using one to assist with both packing meat (elk , deer ,etc.) and for getting a nice camp far back off the roads.
As mentioned, they are not allowed in designated wilderness areas, but in virtually all National Forests and BLM areas.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
How about pushing instead of pulling? The Game Tote may be a bit overkill and a bit higher priced than what you're looking for, but it would work really well. With its single large wheel and tire, it fits most trails and can carry a significant load. I have carried several whole elk and oryx on mine with two people, and lighter loads running solo. You could easily carry all the gear for a one to two person camp without overworking yourself.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote