New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handgun for back pack
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am sure that this one has been ask and answered multiple times but I can't find a thread, so....

Looking to get a 44 Mag to carry when hunting in bear country. I have been leaning toward the Ruger "Alaskan" with the 2-1/2" barrel. However, several people in the know suggest that I go with a S&W. So, what do you learned people have to say? Which manufacturer and which model?

Thanks

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I now carry a Ti 41 mag. If one is carrying for protection the Lt weight smiths ect are very nice. They recoil more but carry nice.

In my opinon when it comes to carrying a pack for a week or more cutting down on the weight is very important.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If one is carrying for protection the Lt weight smiths ect are very nice

I was in a local gun store last week and handled both the Alaskan and the Titanium Smith. At 27 oz., the smith is incredibly light for a .44, and weight is a huge consideration for me when looking for a serious carry gun. The Alaskan is a nice gun, but I would recommend taking a look at the Smith for yourself before making your decision.

Posts: 373 | Location: Georgia, USA | Registered: 31 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry a S&W 360 kit gun in my backpack which I don't think they make anymore. Weighs something like 12 oz. Great to carry, but only 357 mag. Recoil is managable.

For me, weight is everything and I am willing to give up some stopping power for less mass.

If I were to go to Alaska, then I think I would want something bigger.

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the 44 329PD S&W scandium.Its tough to beat power to weight.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I just carry a Sig 9mm with deep penetrating loads such as CorBon DPX +P.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rsm458Lott:
I have the 44 329PD S&W scandium.Its tough to beat power to weight.

Now that's one sweet looking mag. Heck, I may have to get one just because....

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am planning on some bush trekkng in Alaska so I am going for the 329 pd possibly the sw 629 nothing less than 44 mag with garrets defenders 310 gr hardcast. We saw a brown bear last year the size of a toyota yarus!I am going to shoot both models rapid fire before I decide, bear attacks can happen very fast so you need to get 2-3 rounds off and hit. If the 329 pd is uncontrollable I'll suffer the weight and take the 629. I have a s&w 9mm I carry when in the smuggling or pot areas as well as my hunting rifle while hunting down here in SoCa.

one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
That 329 will bruise you palm, but with leather insulated gloves and a towel wrapped around a custom cushy grip, I can get a couple of cylinders shot before the real pain begins. It's nice and light though, so I'm keeping it!
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doublegun: . . . Looking to get a 44 Mag to carry when hunting in bear country. I have been leaning toward the Ruger "Alaskan" with the 2-1/2" barrel. However, several people in the know suggest that I go with a S&W. So, what do you learned people have to say? Which manufacturer and which model?

Thanks
If by bear you refer to black, . . . never mind. If by bear you refer to grizzly, there's no substitute for cubic inches. Having seen my first two grizzlies without bars between us, my Super Redhawk 480 Ruger is partway through becoming a 4.75-inch carry gun. And I picked up a Freedom Arms Model 83 (357 Magnum) that Jack Huntington will render as a 4.75-inch 500 WE.

To make a long story less long, the grizzly I encountered when wandering my hunting area this fall scared the -- well, caused me severe intestinal distress. The other one, two houses down and across the street was only slightly less disturbing.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Naphtali is right , Size matters . A 44 mag may keep you from getting bit , but they are on the lower end of the spectrum , like a 30 -06 .. And that isn,t from my own observations , .. John Linebaugh told me that also .....

When I went to packin the 480 Ruger with the 410 gr Buffalo Bore hard cast bullets I felt alot better than I did with the 44 and 45 Colt ...

I do think that for bear defense which would include from inside a tent ,something like a 300-360 gr bullet at not over 1100 fps is pretty useful ... I think the 2" barrel 500 S&W and 460 S&W and 2"barrel Ruger SRH Alaskan in 454 are very useful tools ... One thing is for sure , Coopers 1st rule is to always have a gun , so ya gotta have something .......

IMO it,s better to have a big gun and load it down than a smaller one and max it out.... A SRH ,BFR ect in 454 on up possibly with a shortened barrel will work ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Here,s my fallers pack with a 4 5/8" Blackhawk in 45 Colt on the belt ... If you are going to be carrying a pack you may as well let it pack your pistol ... In thick brush it is nice to have it immediately available .... However this is far superior bear protection , 416 Rem Mag

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote