New
Find
Notify
Tools

Up-date on backpack rifles...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just back from the Dallas show, where I got to fondle the Kimber in .30-06...OK, I am really in a pickle now...the stainless version comes in at 6lb 6oz, the wood version at 7+...what is there that I am missing...great rifle, good caliber/weight, good plastic stock...and all for considerably less that one can be put together...this would come out at about 7 1/2 all up and ready to go (and yes, Kutenay, they have them in the catelog in .338!!!)...all in the $1000 range or a little less...so the question: a) what am I missing? b) which caliber for elk, sheep and ability to shoot it? Do I need to keep looking/built my own? I am sorry for the new thread, but the other one is dated and a bit long--even if it has GREAT advice...Opinions NEEDED, please, before I plunk down the cash....I am really hurting here.

Oh, by the way, speaking of a big hurt...an all original .256 Model A by Gibbs....except for one thing, some fool ran a .264 mag reamer into her...I almost beat the guy then and there with her...he still wanted $4500 and the stock needed a refinish, but there was the barrel clearly marked .256 crosswise on the chamber...Arthur Olds

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy that Kimber, NOW! With the experience I have had with the two Kimbers I own, I think that, for a hunting rifle, there is no need to spend the big bucks for a custom anymore. I had my Kimber Montana .243 out this weekend and shot 4 or 5 3-shot groups at 200 yds that all measured from .75 to just under 1". I am still trying to get my money, or a decent rifle, from a well known builder of custom ultra-light rifles that presented me with a $2700 piece of sh%!. If I can get my $ back, I am going to buy another Kimber Montana in .338 if they offer one, or an'06 that will be rebarreled, etc, to .338. I know what to expect from Kimber!

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Kimber in a 17 Remington its a excellent rifle no way you can go wrong with a Kimber.

short and fat and hard to get at, hit like a hammer and never been hit back.

Posts: 251 | Location: Just north of Salingrad. | Registered: 07 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have looked at quite a few Kimbers and honestly am not too impressed with them. The Montana version, which I would consider to be the "backpacker" rifle of their line, has had boltface "rings" on every one I have seen, not acceptable in a brandnew rifle.(or a used one).

The weight is not much less than what can be achieved by using other platforms and they do not have, as far as I know, auxiliary iron sights, something I consider essential in a a BP rifle. So, they don't "do it" for me.

My latest BP rifle is a minty Husqvarna 4100 in .270 Win. that I "rescued" for peanuts from a local gunstore that tends to serve the "militia groupie/wannabe" crowd and I am currently accumulating the parts to make this about the lightest CRF mountain rifle possible.

The Husqvarna is readily available on the used market for a reasonable dollar and the quality is much superior to the Kimber, IMO. An interesting potential option to the Kimber will be the new Sako 85 CRF due out sometime this year, in various calibers; a "Finnlight" in this would be a real mountain rifle and, again, I think the quality is superior.

BUT, IF YOU LIKE IT, BUY IT as you are the guy who is going to pack and shoot it! As to .338s, I have five now and NO intention of buying another....I think???

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kutenay, I thought .338's were like Jello...there is always room for Jello.....or a couple more guns.

mgun

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arthur, I'm with Cobrad on this one.....I think the Kimber Montana would make a fine mountain rifle for you. Have guided several hunters who were shooting Kimbers and have taken a poke or two with them....very nice guns! I am hoping for more LA variety from them as I need a new .300 wm, maybe they'll pick up some of the slack from Win.

-Ron

Posts: 192 | Location: Anchorage, Ak | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AHHHH HA HA HA!!! I learned yesterday that my problem with the crummy custom gun appears to have been resolved and a check is supposed to arrive next week. I spoke with Kimber today and a Montana in .338 is expected to be available by mid to late spring. There is already an empty space in my rack with Kimber written on it!

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...has had boltface "rings" on every one I have seen, not acceptable in a brandnew rifle.(or a used one).

Kutenay, sorry to be dumb, but what are you talking about here, rotary machining marks on the bolt-face, or something else? Just curious; I've never seen a live Kimber rifle.

BTW, I really like Husqvarnas, too.

Steve

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
for the money that kimber in 30-06 is hard to beat. Add some $$ to get the LOP where you want it and soem good iron sights and QD rigs and bases and you are set

one of us
posted Hide Post
I played with a Kimber Montana in a 7-08 when they first came out. The action was rough and looked to lack quality control. Later, I met the man who bought it at the local range. He hated the rifle, wouldn't shoot, bound up, ect. Sent it back to the factory and they smoothed it out and made it feed right. It shot better but still not great.
The newer ones feel smoother and much better than the originals but you still hear of a lot of people sending Kimber back the factory to get it to fix some problems. Thankfully, they seem to have good customer service.
Don't forget Weatherby ULW and Remington Ti for a lightweight rifle. Used ones can be had for pretty good price if you look around a bit. I have both, and both are sub-moa with several loads.

Posts: 167 | Location: Eastern Shore of MD | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about a CZ527 rebarreled to 6.5 Grendel (6.5 PPC)? I have one, very accurate, very light with a Burris 2x to 7x compact scope. Check out the forums here...

www.65grendel.com

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
If anyone is looking for a Remington 700 Titanium, I have a brandy new one in the box in 7mm SAUM, plus three boxes of factory Rem. 140 gr. PSP Corelok ammo for it. Interested parties can send me a private message here. Otherwise, it's getting listed on Gunbroker.com next week. -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote