THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Anybody start their training program yet?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody start their training program yet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I didn't get drawn for anything, but hoping for a second chance hunt somewhere.

Walking 7 miles every tuesday, thursday and saturday.

doing the slow burn routine on the days I don't walk.

No dairy products, no wheat products. Liver flush.

Whats everybody else doing?

posted Hide Post
I have a goat hunt in BC in just over two months. Been hitting the stairstepper, treadmill, or bike 3-4x/week. Then once a week trying to get a short hike 3 miles or so with about 1000' elevation change and then once a week a 10 miler.
Low Carb diet - lost 70 pounds since January 1. Still have about 10-20 pounds to go.
Unfortunatly I still feel out of shape and not like I'm in "goat shape". My body is stiff and sore from yesterdays 10 miler (3800' climb)

Posts: 21 | Location: Rexburg, Idaho | Registered: 07 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leaving for the Yukon in 4 weeks. Been lifting 2-3 times a week since Jan. I've gotten some good muscle back while concentrating on legs and core body strenght. I'm trying to step it up now on cardio. Could stand to drop a few more lbs. but having trouble doing it. 163bc

Posts: 285 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I train year around. run 3 to 4 times a week bike a lot when it is not winter lift most days.

But that said if I were planing on climbing some MT's I would be hitting it a bit harder.

Posts: 19402 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My training time has just about come to an end. I leave July 27 to head to the Cassier Mts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What ya going for? Stones?? Good Luck!! 163bc

Posts: 285 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started it and ended it in one trip. Broke my leg 3.25 miles into a 4.5 mile hike. Spiral
fracture on the fibula down low. Walked on it
1.5 miles then waited 3 days for a ride out.
Did not set right so now loking to get it pinned. All I can say is carry plenty of ace bandage and a air splint.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
KK

I sincerely hope that your healing process will be fast and that you will soon be able to get back out there. Take care of yourself!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Two one-hour bike rides a week, and two 4-mile 'power' walks should help maintaining the basis. Though I might not hunt sheep this year, or not seriously anyway, due to time constraints, I will add another bike tour just for the fun of it. The landscape around here is pretty undulating so that gives the heart, lungs and legs a good work-out. I also do some sit-ups and push-ups when I feel like it, all pretty low intensity. It all helps to keep the weight below 135 lbs, as does a bit of self-discipline with regards to food intake. I think I'm fit for a desk jockey, but dramatically undertrained for a sheep hunter!
Frowner

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frans

135 pounds? I haven't weighed that since grade school?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I weighed 117 lbs when I started university.
A few years of dilligent (OK, lets call that brutal; five times a week, sometimes twice a day, as heavy as I could pull) weight training and eating brought me up to 140 lbs at my peak. I hit a ceiling there, and never got any heavier. The eating regimes that some of the real heavy muscled types in the gym suggested didn't seem too healthy to me. I dropped down to 130 lbs and stayed that for a decade. Only the last year I put on a few extra pounds.

I guess I'm not realy concerned about being overweight. But I'll trade you that for a couple of good strong knees!

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frans Diepstraten:
I weighed 117 lbs when I started university.

I dropped down to 130 lbs and stayed that for a decade. Only the last year I put on a few extra pounds.

But I'll trade you that for a couple of good strong knees!

Frans

Good to know. This is the stuff thats important to consider if the opportunity to hunt moose or elk together ever arises! Wink Razzer

beer
Canuck

ps: I haven't weighed 130 since about grade 6. Smiler I sure do wish I was 20 lbs lighter than I am currently though!

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
Good to know. This is the stuff thats important to consider if the opportunity to hunt moose or elk together ever arises! Wink Razzer

Are you fishing for an invitation? Big Grin

Doc ordered me to wear orthotic soles, that is supposed to alleviate the knee aches... I have to admit that the daily pains have subsided. I can't wait to get out and put them through a real test! Just imagine what I can achieve if I can actually train the body as hard as the mind still seems to want. clap

Frans

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you fishing for an invitation?

Depends. Wink You bringing any big guys with strong backs and weak minds, or would I be the only one? Big Grin Actually, my card still reads "Have Pack-board, Will Travel".

The orthotics will help. I needed some for plantar fasciitis many moons ago, and I think they help my knees too.

A friend just put me on to an interesting book a few weeks ago, that seems to be helpful. Its called "Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue. Has some neat stretching excercises that unload joints by balancing muscles out. Seems to really be helping with some chronic muscle issues I am having in my left leg and lower back. There's a section in there on knees, as its pretty common for either your quad or ham to be overly tense and pull the joint out of whack enough to cause pain.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I leave for a dall sheep hunt in Alaska on August 8. Right now, I am walking five to eight miles while carrying a pack. My route is up one side of the mountain close to my home and down the other, back up and back down. Most of it is on roads or trails.

Having been there, I know there is no such thing as getting in shape for the elevations I will encounter, since the mountain I have to use is only 1800 feet high and rises from a valley that is about 900 feet. I have given up trying to lose weight, since I like food too much, and will try to get this pudgy boddy into as good shape as I can. Wish me luck. This might be my last sheep hunt, as I will go on medicare in January and my wife thinks it is time to become less foolish.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kaldevass
posted Hide Post
I,ve been spinning 3-4 times a week and general weight trainning 2 times a week. Every weekend I'm walking with my backpack increasing the weight in the pack graduly. I have 6 weeks before I hunt.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Posts: 38 | Location: Bergen Norway | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
You bringing any big guys with strong backs and weak minds, or would I be the only one?

There aren't too many weak-minded, strong-bodied individuals out there, that I can trick!
I know a few strong-bodied individuals, but they have seen moose up close, and aren't THAT weak of mind. Razzer

Gotta look for that book on muscle stretching. I'm beyond the point where I was too proud to admit that I need all the help I can get! Frowner

F.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm beyond the point where I was too proud to admit that I need all the help I can get!

Me too. My back spasmed on me a few months ago for no apparent reason. I am MUCH better now but still not straightened out completely. It seems however, that sitting so much (in front of a computer, on planes, driving, etc, etc) has "shortened" my hamstrings (not technically correct, but in effect) and it is causing a chain reaction via my gluts that is aggravating my back. It hasn't been causing any major grief lately, but it just won't go away. Massage therapy and stretching have been helpful, but I have found that they tend to meter out the therapy and suggested exercises in a way to keep you coming back. And thats why I went to look for a book! The Egoscue stretches do seem to be helping a lot. Unfortunately, with only 46 days to my big trip I am probably overdoing the excercise which is slowing the healing of my aggravated muscles.

Cheers,
Canuck

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I work-out year-round, had been cycling until April when I switched to hiking a local State forest w/the backpack. I'm up to 65lbs (with the pack) for 1.5-3hr hikes 4x a week, circuit training 25-30 sets for upper body the days in-between, a hill run here and there...trying to maintain my weight/strength now and not injure anything. Backpack hunt to the NWT for Dall in a few weeks.

Good luck to all you others heading out [UP!] this season!!! thumb

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For all of those who think that you actually strengthen your heart and lungs by jogging, go have an ejection fraction test before you start your program, and then after you have been on the program for awhile have another test. You will be surprised to learn that aerobic exercise really doesn't do much for the heart and lungs in their own accord.

May I recommend to everyone to purchase and read the book entitled

The Slow Burn Fitness Revolution by Hahn. read it a couple of times. What it says, and what the studys show, will surprise you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I work out daily, but I'm getting to the age (49) where my workouts are a bit shorter than they used to be. I guess I'm lucky, since I've never really had a weight problem, I actually weigh the same exact weight as when in college. The only problem is that at the same weight my waist is 5 inches bigger, so of course it came from somewhere. I lift weights every day and run 1-2 miles, and have for years. Once you get started, it needs to be enough of a routine that you don't feel right if you miss a day. I have been lucky, but did have a round of back spasms several years ago and they definitely suck. Mine were so bad I couldn't even get up the couch to relieve myself, had to have my wife retrieve a bucket. That will make you feel old quickly.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote