New
Find
Notify
Tools

44 special loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just picked up a 44 special carry gun and need some loads please. The gun is a Rossi with a 3 inch barrel. I will be carrying the gun, primarily when I am fishing because I fish in the brush along the small streams in Maine. I have never encountered an animal with rabies but our winters are getting warmer and shorter so I want to be prepared. I hunt with a 44 Mag Ruger with a 7 1/2 barrel but it is not comfortable to carry while I am fishing. Thank you for any info that I can use.

Posts: 116 | Location: Eastport Maine | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Depending on which source of load data you find, 6.5 to 7.0 grains of Unique behind a 240 cast SWC will do an admirable job from a .44 Special.

If it's varmints you are talking about (i.e. skunks, raccoons, etc.); Speer makes a 200 grain Gold Dot designed for velocities under 1100 fps. This bullet weight is about 40 grains under what I recommend in a .430" bore. However, I did try it out on some groundhogs a couple of years ago and it does make a mess of one. I'm loading these ahead of 8.0 grains of Unique in my revolvers.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you MS. Hitman, that is exactly what I have in mind. I use unique in my 44 mag and it works well. Thanks again.

Posts: 116 | Location: Eastport Maine | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started using Universal Clays in .44 spec. with excellent results. I now use it for .44 mags as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger
If you are worried about animals like bears, mountain lions, coyotes, wild dogs, etc, then I would use a 240gr hard cast over 7.5 gr of Unique, or equivilent.

If you are worried about skunk sized animals I would load a Speer shotshell or two in the first 2 cylinders followed up by the 240gr hard cast.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
I am with Tony, 7.5gr Unique is my go to load for the spec. I load it with Lyman's 429421, Keith's 250gr SWC.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote