Find
Notify
Tools

Goin' bear huntin'!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted
I've put in for a MI black bear tag and the odds are pretty good that I'll get one. This will be the first time ever hunting toothy critters and I am looking for recommendations on a proper bullet in my .454 Casull. I've hunted deer extensively with the pistol and am happy with the 240gr XTP/Mag. For bear I am considering the Sierra 300gr JFP Sportsmaster, FA 300 gr JFP, or a CP 370 gr WLNFPGC. Am I on the right track or should I reconsider? TIA.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have never taken a bear with a handgun but I have taken a lot of bears and I have used my .454 to take a lot of big game so maybe I can give you some input that has some value.
I prefer heavey hard cast in a revolver. Having said that I use only jacketed bullets in my F.A. .454. The 1 in 24 twist and the short cyilender won't allow for the big 375 gr. hard cast I use in my redhawk.
I used the 250 gr. xtp on a large 200 pluse pound hog and had great results. good bullet retention and it stopped under the skin on the far side. dropped in his tracks. I also used some 240 gr. jacketed hornady's on some hogs from my .44 back before I got into bullet casting. Nothing took more than one shot or ran more than a few steps.
I now use the 300 gr. XTP mag from my F.A. .454. I've shot some deer with it and been happy with the performance.
A black bear is thin skinned enough that any of the bullets mentioned here will be more than ample for the hunt.
Last year one of my hunters shot a bear with his bow and it only ran about 30 yards.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
go with the cast bullet.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
XTP's have worked good for me. I actually have shot at a brown bear with them. Wink

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both the 300 gr. Sierra JFP that you mention, and the Hornady XTP Mag. will work fine on black bear. I've used both on a great deal of african game, including that same Sierra on african lion.

Posts: 272 | Location: North Carolina,USA | Registered: 17 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Cast bullets is the way to go. That is all I shoot in my handguns for hunting, no matter the animal.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of loboman7x57
posted Hide Post
i shoot hardcast and heavy loads of h110 in my 45 colt blackhawk, i would say in the 454 i'd go with a lbt or lbt style bullet in the 325 to 360 grain range. i would NOT use the xtp, i've had them blow up on whitetails. i have had good luck with the speer 265 mag hollow point on whietails if you really want a jacketed bullet.

i think i may decide to get my black bear permit in michigan this year, i have 5 preferance points and am almost 100% sure to get any tag i want other than drummond island.

how many points do you have? the dnr has the drawing results on their web site and you can see how many points it will take to draw any given hunt period in any given hunt area. you said you already put in for a tag, how? the application period doesn't start until april 15th, if there is a way to apply early please share it so i can get my app in too.

get some wolfie !!

Posts: 23 | Location: saginaw, michigan | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loboman7x57:
i shoot hardcast and heavy loads of h110 in my 45 colt blackhawk, i would say in the 454 i'd go with a lbt or lbt style bullet in the 325 to 360 grain range. i would NOT use the xtp, i've had them blow up on whitetails. i have had good luck with the speer 265 mag hollow point on whietails if you really want a jacketed bullet.

i think i may decide to get my black bear permit in michigan this year, i have 5 preferance points and am almost 100% sure to get any tag i want other than drummond island.

how many points do you have? the dnr has the drawing results on their web site and you can see how many points it will take to draw any given hunt period in any given hunt area. you said you already put in for a tag, how? the application period doesn't start until april 15th, if there is a way to apply early please share it so i can get my app in too.
Dang, I guess those whitetails are tougher than our Kodiak Brownies.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sometimes conclusions are made on the basis of one or two occurrences. It's best to rely on a larger base of experience before making hard recommendations.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry, I misspoke. I haven't put in for the tag, I've notified our "party leader" that I'll be in for the application. I'm waiting for the party number to actually apply. Anyway, I've got four points and am hunting on Sugar Island (Newberry BMU). Last year's results show 100% success rate in that BMU for the hunt we are putting in for. Good luck to you on your hunt!

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of loboman7x57
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MS Hitman:
Sometimes conclusions are made on the basis of one or two occurrences. It's best to rely on a larger base of experience before making hard recommendations.

true, but, i tend to not give things that give me such unsatisfactory results a second chance. i felt that a 300 grain bullet that would absolutly disintigrate on a small michigan doe (120 lbs) at 1250 fps was not worth trying again. she was broadside to me and i hit her square on a rib, the bullet broke into several pieces, a couple came out the other side, a couple went back through the guts, and one big piece went up through the loins and out the back. she was about 50 yards from me at the shot and dropped instantly but a lot of meat was ruined. it was after that that i switched to hard cast, i used the 265 jacketed bullet due to an elk hunt in colorado and that states requirement of using an expanding bullet in handguns for big game hunting. i used them for whitetail that year here in michigan since my ruger was already sighted in for them, i took a buck with it and the bullet mushroomed perfectly even though i hit him in the spine, the bullet was recovered stuck between two vetibrae. i was pushing the 265 at 1350 fps and the buck was shot at 40 yards.

get some wolfie !!

Posts: 23 | Location: saginaw, michigan | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of loboman7x57
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]Dang, I guess those whitetails are tougher than our Kodiak Brownies.[/QUOTE]

lol, my loads are a little overkill for white tails. i wouldn't hesitate to use them on a brownie hunt if i ever get lucky enough to have the chance.

i once shot a bowling ball that a friend had out on his shooting range, (i told him he didn't want me to do it but he insisted i couldn't hurt it) i did split it in half. he about took a dump in his pants.

get some wolfie !!

One of Us
Picture of Gentleman Jack
posted Hide Post
I used 260 grain for my elk. Try the winchester partition gold 454.

"There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books, and I have killed them all......"

Posts: 273 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
loboman7x57

That sounds good on the hard cast in 360 gr.
I use a 375gr wfn in my redhawk but I don't know what kind of revolver Juggernaut76's .454 is. If it's a freedom arms those long heavy bullits wont work. If they even fit in the gun with the FA's short cylinder they won't shoot very well with the 1 in 24 twist.

Wich 300gr. XTP did you have the problem with. I shoot 300gr. XTP mags in my FA and they work really well.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Picture of loboman7x57
posted Hide Post
Akshooter,

the box has #45230 on it, no "mag" anywhere on box. must not be the mag version. i wasn't aware that there were 2 different types. i bought them at a local store with the recomendation of the counter guy. most likely the reason it blew up, pushing it faster than design speed. i still favor the hard cast over jacketed anyway.

get some wolfie !!

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Loboman 7x57

I'm glad the hard cast work in your gun. I agree would rather shoot them in my FA but dosn't give me the accuracy of the xtp mag and I have to seat the big bullets so deep in the FA I loose to much capacity.
The 375 gr. WFN that I shoot in my .45 redhawk on the other hand is sweet.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124