Find
Notify
Tools

T/C encore hunter packages?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
I have been thinking on getting a encore pistol for deer hunting to 200 yards and was wondering how the hunter packages were. I am looking at the 308 winchester package , with a 15" barrel and a t/c 2x7 scope.How are there scopes or do you guys think i should just buy the encore pistol and purchase a better scope. Also are there any other calibers i may want to consider. This would be just for whitetails to 200 yards.( and a coyote or two)

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
If bottle necked handgun cartridges are legal for deer where you live (they're not in Ohio), a 308 Winchester would be a fine choice.

I think the T/C 2-7X & 3-9X scopes are fine; I, in fact, use a couple. That said, I'm going to the Leupold 2.5-8X scopes in guns chambered for cartridges with heavy recoil. I also like my scopes secured with SSK Industries T'SOB scope mount.

There are a number of other cartridges that would be good for deer such as the 243 Winchester, 25/06 & 7mm/08 Remington. These would have less recoil. Unless you're comfortable shooting heavy recoiling handguns, you might also want to consider a muzzle brake.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had T/C scopes mounted on 5 of the barrels I had. T/C has a mounting system called Duo-Ring
your hunter will probably come wit that mounting. If it doesn't the T/C product number is 9817 for the Encore barrel. This mount was designed by T/c to mount T/C scoped on the handguns. It is dead tough and you scope will not move even with the heaviest recoil.

Love Those .41s'

Posts: 80 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
The hunter package comes with weaver base and weaver rings and only 3 calibers the 22/250 , 270winchester and the 308 , i am now leaning to the 270 but if the encore comes in a 25/06 i'll get the pistol and scope seperate .I'll go to there website and check all availible calibers.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
The 25-06 barrel is available for Encores.

The DuoRing works fine for cartridges with low to medium recoil. It would probably be OK for a 25-06 and does make for a neat scope installation. I have learned from experience that they won't hold a handgun scope firmly enough or even stay firmly on the barrel with the likes of the 460 S&W and 500 S&W Magnums even with Locktite.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Ive decided on the 308 package deal , i will give the t/c scope a try. I chose the 308 as i see the short action cartridge only loses around 200 fps over a rifle barrel as compared to 500 fps with the 25/06 . I guess the long action shells cant burn all the powder in the shorter barrels losing more velocity.