THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Standard Manufacturing Single Action Revolver Home

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Standard Manufacturing Single Action Revolver Home
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have already had a very difficult, but profitable year. I have been looking and handling my way through a number of Colt 1873 Second Generation, Colt Third Gens, and the Standard.

Today, I drove up to Lexington and chose the Standard Manufacturing Single Action Revolver.

I have named him Wallace. The name is in Honor of William “Bigfoot” Wallace. Wallace was a native Kentuckian who lived in Lexington. Wallace upon receiving word that his brother was killed in the Texas-Mexican War (First One) rode to avenge his brother. He became a legendary Texas Ranger.

I divide quality into three categories:

Quality of Materials-what and what process the
firearm is made from.

Quality of Construction-the fit and Finnish how the materials come together into cosmetic execution.

Quality of Result-how does the material and construction of that material come together to produce hits on target or operation.

Wallace scored higher than the Colts I looked at across three states.

MY Gun: 7 1/2 inch, 45 Colt (not long Colt, not 44 Russian, Not 357 Magnum .45 Colt as God intended enough of this cartridge choosing. Such is an abomination. Next thing you know, 357 Magnum Single Actions will be doing commercials at this rate) charcoal and bone case Harding (not coloring) on the frame. Wallace’s CCH is deep, rich and vibrant blues with sunburst browns. All screws are timed. Small parts including the removable barrel busing are charcoal blue.

General Pros:

The frame, backstrap, grip frame/tigger guard and all small parts are made in house by Standard from billet tool steel.

The barrel is forged.

Real Color Case Harding done in house by Standard on the frame and hammer.

I love the charcoal blue small parts.

100 percent American Made down to the springs and screws.

The near brile, walnut stocks are subdued gorgeousness.

Every screw is timed even the grip and tigger guard screws.

The small parts that would have assembly numbers if done by Colt have the same treatment with part of the Serial Number.

True Colt Action.

The Construction uses No Cast Parts.

Availability. They are pricey, but a good deal less than what people are asking for Colts when you can even find one.

The Fit and Finish is near flawless the Colt’s that were options to me at more money had some cosmetic warts being late 70s and early 80s pieces.

The checker on the hammer is well executed hand cut.

The cylinder uses the free, cylinder busing.The cylinder bushing is even charcoal blue.

General Negatives:

He is not a “Colt.” One will not see the rampant pony or the Words, “Colt Single Action Army” No matter how well and of quality components this Firearm will never be a “Colt.” Colt is the name known around the world. Colt is Colt by all the powers between Heaven and Hell (It is going to take all that power to get Colt to ever make another SAA again). I get that. I do not care. Others will and do care very much. I suspect that much like Standard’s predecessor the later USAF revolvers, we will appreciate Standard after it is gone. The action frame is .020 hundreds larger as is the cylinder. The one piece stocks is more flat not having that believed 20 degree cut to the stocks. Likewise, some will object to the wonderful deep and vibrant Case Color Harding preferring the more sedate grays, and reddish pinks of a good Colt job.

While not a 2,500.00-3,000.00 dollar price tag, they are pricy. Mine will cost anywhere between $,1900 and $2,000.00 dollars. The most expensive Colt I looked at was a late Custom Shop with an asking price of $4,000.00 dollars. Most were $2,500 to $3,000.00 dollars. Still, a Ruger Vaquero of Taylor/Cimmarron Uberit will start at $500.00 and top out at $1,000.00.

That brings us to the next general negative. Like USFA before, the Standard does not copy or follow Colt Dimensions. Standard, like USFA, follows Uberti dimensions in the frame and cylinder. Standard is denying the company is using USFA’s tooling. The foot print is the same. Standard says there is a smaller frame/cylinder in development not being sold. I actually like the larger cylinder and frame with just a hint more 4140 billet of steel. The top strap does not angle, as sharp or thin, down like a Colt.

Yankees who make these can be hard to deal with from my research. I did not deal with any. I went to the Lexington Dealer Buds and got to inspect fully.

Some My Gun Positives:

The timing is perfect. I have shot Wallace 50 times today and no drag mark is developing. The bolt stop does not engage the cylinder notices until the fourth click right in the center of the cylinder notch. The cylinder is not traveling. Likewise, the timing on ejection is perfect. The gun ejects empties by just turning the gun up. I do not have to use the ejection rod. The hammer has just a hint of overtravel. The trigger breaks at 2 pounds. These observations should go under general positives.

The gun is an amalgamation of 1st, Second, and 3rd Generation Parts. For example, the firing pin is the old, solid cone firing pin, but the rest of the hammer, besides being color case harden is hand cut third gen checker. The front sight and rear sight grove is 3rd Gen. That might be a negative to you.

I shot Wallace today with a 255 grain Keith bullet at 1050 fps. First two shots killed two Coke cans’s in the 8:00 p.m. nearing dark dusk for light at 20 yards.

The backstrap ears meet near, dead even with the curve of the hammer. The meeting of the one piece stocks, grip frame, backstrap and action are near as flawless as man can make them.

These are not problems; just interesting observations.

First, my experience is heavily Ruger which means my brain wants to go on auto pilot and do things like put the cylinder back in the frame without bring the action to the Second Click. Do not be so stupid.

Second, Wallace is tight as a very chase and virtues young woman on her wedding night. I was near to promising God, I would convert to Catholicism when the cylinder pin finally came loose. What finally got it out was I put my thumb nail in the slot of the retention screw and finally got it compressed far enough to release the pin. The cylinder bushing only required me to think on the merits of Judaism before God intervened.

Happy 150 Year Anniversary of the Colt through Richard and Mason gifting the world the Firearm and its Action.

Leather shall be here shortly. Shortly being approximately 3 more weeks.

The best Colt I got to handle, best from a cosmetic stand point, was the late Custom Shop, 3rd Gen. The second best was a non custom shop 3rd Gen from the early 2010s, and it was very good as well.

Posts: 10821 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing I forgot, and the reader can select which category this belongs in, the Standard should not be dry fried by express statement in the owners manual.

The manual stated the firing pin may break.

Posts: 10821 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Do they offer 44-40?

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one a couple of years ago. A fine shooter.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
Do they offer 44-40?

There was talk of them offering a 44/40 and black powder frame. They were announced, a few ordered, and then disappeared. You can find a link to Standard’s page about them, but the page on their website has been removed

One guy on a forum got them to build a nickel one in 44/40. The checker on the hammer was poor. Otherwise, as fine as one can imagine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine has absolutely Zero, not one bit of cylinder play/end shake or movement side to side.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
Do they offer 44-40?

There was talk of them offering a 44/40 and black powder frame. They were announced, a few ordered, and then disappeared. You can find a link to Standard’s page about them, but the page on their website has been removed

One guy on a forum got them to build a nickel one in 44/40. The checker on the hammer was poor. Otherwise, as fine as one can imagine.

Looks perfect to go with my Turnbull 92 deluxe takedown in 44-40.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 09 July 2023 19:23 Hide Post
One thing I forgot, and the reader can select which category this belongs in, the Standard should not be dry fried by express statement in the owners manual.

The manual stated the firing pin may break.

Is deep frying okay?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hah, probably would damage the color Case hardening. Although, the manual is silent.