Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.460 roland conversion
 Login/Join

posted
Has anybody tried any .460 roland conversions for the 1911-A1?
I am thinking about converting a 1911 to thin for wild boar.

Posts: 1 | Location: Texas, Fort Worth | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HHI812
posted Hide Post
Got one, but sorry to say, haven't hunted anything with it. Got it from a buddy of mine, who used it only a short time, and chronoed some 230XTP's at 1400+fps. Picked up some 300 grain jacketed bullets to try in my 45 ACP, but I think I'll try them in my 460 Rowland conversion. Should be a thumper!

Posts: 298 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one and have shot hundreds of rounds with it. This is my wifes under arm gun. She loves to shoot it as she is very small framed.
I would not ask her to shoot my heavy loaded mountain .44.

Havaing nothing but good to say about the cartridge.

Neal

one of us
Picture of HHI812
posted Hide Post
Neal, is that you in Kodiak??? What load is your wife packing in your bear country?
Dennis

Posts: 298 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Dennis that something greater than 13 grs of HS 7 behind the sierra 200gr incapsulated semi-wad cutter is what is loaded.

Start low and work up as one is suppose to. Follow the direction that come with the conversion kit.
Remember this is a defense round so 8 shots at
close range will pretty much put a serious attitude adjustment on anything.

Neal

one of us
Picture of HHI812
posted Hide Post
So Neal, your preference is a lighter bullet going fast over a heavier slower velocity bullet? I was trying to decide on which option was better? Don't really have anything to test penetration?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sir Dennis

I use the same bullet that I use in bowling pin matches. I suppose big may be better in many cases but I know this bullet at this velocity
makes the pins fly and does not expand. 41 Mag shoots a 210 jacketed bullet a bit faster and it has never been thought of as not adeguate?
Neal

one of us
Picture of HHI812
posted Hide Post
Neal,
So this is your wifes "packing gun" when your out in the bush?
Dennis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir- I modified and old duty Jackass style shoulder holster for her frame. I cut down the barrel and machined a new sight for a Redhawk and that is what I carry.

By the way-that frame works great. It has a 16"
376 Steyer barrel on it.
Neal

one of us
Picture of HHI812
posted Hide Post
If that 460 works with that load, I may have to use a similar bullet and load, since your in constant griz country! What length is your Redhawk? There are a couple of those 4" Redhawks starting to show up in town. Glad that Encore frame is working for you. 376 Steyr!!!
Dennis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I cut it back from 7.5 to 4 5/8
Neal

one of us
Picture of HHI812
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, have you ever shot any game with the Rowland? You think it could match the power of any of the magnum cartridges?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Case is to small Dennis to actually compete with anything. .357 Mag is very successful and deer. This round is very effective on deer. I would suspect that it will take any game you want to take at under a hundred yards. Yes it puts deer in a world of hurt very well.
Neal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny you mention that conversion, I just received my Handloader Jornal magazine and they did a article on that topic.. Check it out..

one of us
Picture of HHI812
posted Hide Post
Dirknar,
What issue is this! Would like to see what its all about.
Thanks,
Dennis
dennis.madriaga@gmail.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry for the late response. I forgot to check back. It is the most current issue out right now.. I got mine in the mail last week.