Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 460 or BFR 475
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 22Rimfire
posted
I am ordering a new pistol for the battery and I am between the Smith 460 and the BFR 475 in 6-1/2". I handload everything so ammo is not an issue.
Any thoughts recoil, size, ect?
Thanks

Ignore your rights and they will go away!

Posts: 149 | Location: Talkeetna Alaska | Registered: 13 September 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
The X-frame Smith is a chunky monkey. I spent some time in the field with one and it was hard to pack. Also very loud. Don't see the real reason to push a .45 so hard. The .475 has no flies on it whatsoever. My .500 JRH with a 6.5-inch barrel is actually a packable revolver -- which will dimensionally be the same as the .475 with the same length barrel. The X-frames I have shot have been accurate, but so have the BFRs, which come down the assembly line with a Badger barrel. Really hard to beat the BFR in my opinion.

I never found the .460's recoil objectionable, and only started really noticing it when I moved to the Corbon 395 grain loads at 1,500 + fps. The .475 will definitely get your attention when load to its max levels (400+ grain bullet at 1,350 or so).

If it were my choice to make, I would choose the .475.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
That bullet looks like it has lost a majority of its lead and subsequently its weight. I'm willing to bet it wouldn't penetrate very well. Why would anyone use such a light bullet in a .475?? Confused Just curious.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Between those 2 I would base my decision on whether I wanted a DA or a SA hunting revolver.

If it is about caliber, there is a 454 BFR, and a 500 S&W.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GS:
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
That bullet looks like it has lost a majority of its lead and subsequently its weight. I'm willing to bet it wouldn't penetrate very well. Why would anyone use such a light bullet in a .475?? Confused Just curious.

Varmits. Two and four legs. Lead fell out at the house, not in the dirt. NOT a bonded core bullet.

No thanks, I have lesser calibers for varminting.......

Semper Fidelis

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
What type of setup are you looking for? Iron sighted wheelgun that can be used effectively offhand for big critters as far as you can accurately place your shots? Or a hyper velocity scoped behemouth that you'll shoot from a stand and want to extend your range with?

To me, a hunting handgun is an iron sighted gun, and you just can't beat the flexibility and accuray of the .475" bore with light to heavy cast bullets.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
If you want a long range handgun, get the 460 Mag, if you plan on just doing regular handgun hunting, go with the 475 Linebaugh.

I owned 6 of the 460 Mag, and had a blast shooting them. 150 and 200 yards shots with this gun on a rest was very doable. I shot 4 inch clay targets all day at them ranges with my S&W 460 Mag,

I no longer own any of my 460 Mag, but I do however still own my 475 Linebaugh, if I want to kill something really big, I load up the 475 Linebaugh, regular deer, hogs etc I use a 480 Ruger in the 475.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I'm inclined to agree with Redhawk: it all depends on range. Just one man's opinion, but as much as I like the concept of the .460, teh .480 has it beat out to 125 yards.

And, to be honest, I have no business beyond that with a revo anyway.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Well, with practice you can use your .475 at 200 yards as well and it will kill with aplomb and certainly is a viable 200 yard cartridge. I would consider the package and the use. Unless the .460 has a really short barrel, you won't be crrying it on your belt. It's a lot of cartridge to house in a revolver that consequently needs to be large.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Personaly i think for 99 percent of even experienced handgun hunters shooting a relover past a 100 yards on a living target is a stunt and if you insist on doing it your using a scope and its a simple matter to adjust your scope for the differnce in the 475 and 460 at 200 yards. I shoot rocks and various objects out to over 500 yards routinely and find little differnce between shooting 1000 fps 45 colt loads and 454 loads that scream. Its just a matter of learning your load and how much sight to use. I also shoot cast bullets exclusively and know that 1200-1400 is about the uppper limit to what any alloy will stand so for me anyway the 475 is much more versitile. I allows me to shoot heavier bullets with bigger metplats at those velocitys. Ive got 454s 475s and 500 linebaughs and the 475 is probably my favorite and the best ballaced round of the 3.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Dustin Linebaugh killed a Grizz in Alaska a whille back at I believe 186 yards with a 1200 FPS 420 grain hard cast.

I do not remember precisely the distance, but it was a fair piece and a 1 shot kill if memory servers

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Lloyd, I got a deer with my 460 Mag at over 150 yards with one shot off my shooting sticks. One I practiced at that range, and with the 460 there is no guess work with long range shooting. I love the 475 Linebaugh, but it is not as flat shooting as the 460 Mag is. I am not a big fan of the 460 Mag, but it does work as advertised.

I agree with you one the 100 yards Lloyd, as a matter of fact, personally I like getting up close and personal, hence getting rid of all my 460 Mags, it was like using a rifle.

Still love my 500 Mag X-frame still and will always have one. Yep big, but it works.

Marko, I am sure it can be done with the 475 Linebaugh, but the 460 Mag is one flat shooting round. I had my gun sighted in at one in high at 100 yards and could hold dead on at 200 yards and still be in the kill zone with only about 3 inch below point of aim. We had this discussion a long while ago. When you are smoking a 200 gr. bullet at 2200 fps, it is like shooting a rifle.

JWP, no doubt it can be done, but not buy the average handgun hunter that does not shoot like some of us do.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote