Find
Notify
Tools

480 Ruger or the 500 S&W??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted
I'm looking at stepping up in bullet diameter and these are the two options I'm considering. The 475 or 500 Linebaugh would be great, except for the cost. These two are available in less expensive guns. You don't hear much about the 480 Ruger anymore. I think this cartridge makes it ballistically, so I'm not sure why it didn't catch on. The nice thing is you can pick up a super redhawk in 480 pretty reasonably. Does this one have any real strikes against it? I see them for sale with the 7.5" barrel, and I believe they were made as a 2" or so barreled snubbie. Were these made with a 5.5" barrel (or thereabouts)?

The 500 S&W has oodles of power - more than the 480. I doubt I would be using full-house loads anyway. I'd prefer a heavy bullet at more moderate speeds, and this one lets you load it all kinds of ways. I would choose the 6.5" barrel for this one. Would this have much affect on velocity? I can't see it would matter too much. I don't like the bigger size/weight/price for the X-frame, but it would be the simplest way to get a .50 cal handgun right off the shelf.

Realistically, I don't see a lot of performance difference once you are above the .45 caliber offerings, unless you shoot real full power 500 Mag loads. Any thoughts either way, recommendations, or comparisons for these would be great. I suppose they each have their merits, but are there any real drawbacks to either one, especially if going with a shorter barreled 500S&W?

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually if you add a little more money there are several options.A bfr can be had in 475L at sometimes reasonable prices and you could pick up a 50ae and have a new cylinder built for 500jrh for less than 400.Just some thoughts.

But of the two you specifically mentioned I like the 480.It comes in a more packable package than the x frame.And the 480 will handle what most of us hunt,JMO.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy

Posts: 237 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I agree with cottonstalk. The X-frame Smith is just too big to be considered "packable." The SRH with a 7.5-inch barrel can be worn on the hip.

As cottonstalk mentioned, you can get a BFR in .475 Linebaugh new for about $800.00. They are great revolvers.

What do you intend to hunt with your new revolver?

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a SRH .480, I really like it, a good friend has a .500, recoil is noticeably more. I
wonder if the SRH could be rechambered to .475 Linebaugh. You would have to check pressure levels and the distance between cyliners, wall thickness. Just a thought, is anyone making new cylinders for the SRH? Frankly I will stick to the .480, has done everything I wanted it to do, is actually not bad at all to shoot.

Posts: 1382 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 10 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really wanted a 480 in 5 shot, but Ruger dropped the ball...again. I was showing the wife a clip of a HUGE bear and she said I needed a bigger bear gun for AK; just happened to be a special run of 4" S&W 500s for sale and I got one for Christmas. I really like the .500. I shoot a mild/med. load of 440 gr.

Posts: 278 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that X-frame is just too large now that I am thinking more about it. Too big to put in a holster and walk around all day. I have a Ruger bisley blackhawk in 45 colt, and a redhawk in 44 mag - so I really don't NEED a new handgun to hunt deer/hogs/black bear. Really, these will do all I need a handgun to do. I just want to try moving up a notch in bullet size. The 454 and the 460 don't do anything for me. Pushing the same .45 bullets faster doesn't help. I don't shoot far enough out to make a trajectory difference anyway. It looks like the 475L or 480 is the way to go.

The newer model SRHs had 5-shot cylinders. Should I stay away from the older 6-shot models? I've never heard of one of these failing. Never handled a BFR. Between the SRH and the BFR, are there any quality differences or is it just the choice of SA vs DA? I must say, I really like shooting the .44 redhawk I have, even after being a blackhawk purist for a long time.

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_captain:
Yeah, that X-frame is just too large now that I am thinking more about it. Too big to put in a holster and walk around all day. I have a Ruger bisley blackhawk in 45 colt, and a redhawk in 44 mag - so I really don't NEED a new handgun to hunt deer/hogs/black bear. Really, these will do all I need a handgun to do. I just want to try moving up a notch in bullet size. The 454 and the 460 don't do anything for me. Pushing the same .45 bullets faster doesn't help. I don't shoot far enough out to make a trajectory difference anyway. It looks like the 475L or 480 is the way to go.

The newer model SRHs had 5-shot cylinders. Should I stay away from the older 6-shot models? I've never heard of one of these failing. Never handled a BFR. Between the SRH and the BFR, are there any quality differences or is it just the choice of SA vs DA? I must say, I really like shooting the .44 redhawk I have, even after being a blackhawk purist for a long time.

It's basically a preference issue between a SA and a DA revolver.

As far as 5-shot SRHs are concerned, from what I know no 5-shots made it out of the factory with a 7.5 or 10.5-inch barrel. Evidently only a small number of Alaskans (2.5-inch barrel) ever made it into production. There are no strength issues with the six-shot SRHs and I wouldn't hesitate to pick another one up.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think it was a strength issue with the SRH. The metal (on some) would "flex" and the fired cases would stick in the cyl.

Posts: 278 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LeonardC:
I don't think it was a strength issue with the SRH. The metal (on some) would "flex" and the fired cases would stick in the cyl.

This happens to virtually all revolvers.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you thought about the 38 Special?????? animal

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
Have you thought about the 38 Special?????? animal

I was specifically thinking about the .38 special! dancing

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you like, go with what you like, not what others tell you. The 480 is a great round in my eyes. But I love the 500 mag as well. Anything in a big bore double action is going to be big. The BFR in 475 Linebaugh is also a great option, as you can shoot the 480 Ruger's as well.

Go shoot both and pick the one that you like.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can find a 480Ruger get it... If not you get the 475 Linebaugh...

The only advantage is the Linebaugh will shoot the heaver bullets a bit faster.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by temmi:

Are you following me, temmi? LOL! jumping

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am pretty happy with my .480 Ruger in the 7.5in SRH. With the Tamer grips on the pistol it is quite enjoyable to shoot. I don't think you would be disappointed with the .480 Ruger. I have no experience with the .500S&W other than holding it so I can't speak on it. In holding it I noticed how large and heavy the pistol was and thought I wouldn't want to have to pack it around to far.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
The 480 would be my choice, no question about it.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a 500 but did take my SRH .480 Ruger on my first ever Africa hunt. The only thing I would have done different is use heavier, solid, lead bullets vs. the 325 gr. XTP's. (I do see that Hornady does have some 400 gr. XTPs) The bullets expanded fine, it's just that I would have preferred a bit more penetration. Next time it'll be some 400+ gr. SWC's.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
quote:
Originally posted by temmi:

Are you following me, temmi? LOL! jumping

Maybe.....

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
LOL!! Big Grin

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
We used the 500sw very often because one of my friends and local expert in big bores ,guillermo amestoy has one ,we took hogs ,and buffalo with it -the post is here-we use solids cast bullets ,and the results were great .I took several buffalos with 44mag and i recomend for buffalo a 500sw.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
I use my 500 S&W with 600 grains bullets at 1000 fps, a pleasure, no too much recoil, but as You said is too much bulky gun, my dream a 5 1/2" Bowen, 5 shot cilinder S.A. in .45 or .50 cal. Good Luck. G

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a batch of 300MP for my 480 Ruger
It looks good…

This is from the Alliant web site:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/r...bulletid=77&bdid=983

It will drive a 325 g Speer jacketed bullet 1,621ft/sec, H110 (what I have been using) maxes out at around 1518 ft/sec. (I load to about 1400ft/sec).

H110 has been very accurate so we will see if the extra energy is worth the effort.

It is listed at pushing a 400g bullet 1,368ft/sec… much faster than anything else.

We shall see.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
temmi, I think you will find that a 400 grain bullet at 1,200 fps is more than a match for any animal you will encounter on this continent as well as a few others!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Assuming the load data I am using is realistic, the 480 trails the 475 Linebaugh by less than 100 fps in any given bullet weight.

480 Ruger:
Bullet Powder gr fps pressure
370 GR. CPB LFP H110 26.0 1454 41,500 PSI
370 GR. CPB LFP Lil'Gun 26.0 1539 46,800 PSI

400 GR. HDY XTP H110 20.5 1258 46,600 PSI
400 GR. HDY XTP Lil'Gun 18.0 1229 45,600 PSI

405 GR. CPB (w/GCK) H110 22.3 1328 45,200 PSI
405 GR. CPB (w/GCK) Lil'Gun 21.0 1337 43,900 PSI

420 GR. BTB LFN GC H110 20.0 1203 38,700 PSI
420 GR. BTB LFN GC Lil'Gun 20.0 1267 46,000 PSI

475 Linebaugh:
370 GR. CPB LFP H110 29.5 1476 45,200 PSI
370 GR. CPB LFP Lil'Gun 28.5 1531 46,300 PSI

400 GR. HDY XTP H110 25.5 1330 43,900 PSI
400 GR. HDY XTP Lil'Gun 24.0 1344 46,500 PSI

405 GR. CPB LFP GC H110 26.5 1393 48,500 PSI
405 GR. CPB LFP GC Lil'Gun 25.0 1389 46,900 PSI

To me, this is less than the variation one can expect just by shooting the same ammo in different guns. In any case, I think any possible performance gain to be had in a 475 Linebaugh doesn't justify spending a ton more on a gun. It'll be at least $300 more to get into a BFR, and way too much more to get even a field grade FA. All that plus the SRH is a 6-shooter. That S&W M500 is just too big all around for easy carry. I believe I have just decided to go with the SRH in 480...

thanks all for the input. I'll have to do some shopping around.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Captain, you are making a wise choice. I have had two SRHs in .480 and they have served very well. I am sure you will not be disappointed. Keep us posted!

Semper Fidelis

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I posted this on another forum, I'm too lazy to type it again:

I've put a few rounds through my srh 480, I lost count after about 4000 a few years back. My perspective is based on shooting many 44 mags, 45 colts, 454's, 475 linebaughs and 500 Linebaughs. After that experience I settled on a 7 1/2" srh 480 shortly after they came out, and I've never wanted for another hunting sixgun. Well I still want another srh cut to 5", and and FA mdl 83 w/ a 6" octagon barrel would be pretty slick, but the 480 has never fallen short of what I want in a hunting handgun.

First the bad, the 480 has always been a handloading proposition due to limited availability of factory fodder, and that won't get better.

If you handload, and better yet can cast bullets, then the 480 will offer this: The most power you can accurately shoot in a moderately heavy and sized revolver that doesn't require a muzzlebreak. Yes, there are undoubtedly more powerful handguns, more practicle handguns, and many will say better looking handguns. But I have yet to have a factory mass produced revolver that was so accurate nor one that I'd feel confident using on any NA game. How accurate? Honestly I don't know as I figure I've been the limiting factor, but I have shot countless 5 shot 1" groups at 50 yds with cast bullets from 310 to 460 gr. I even shot a 1 1/2" 3 shot 100 yd group with the 310's, and have no doubt they would grouped at 1" or better if I was able to hold more steadily.

It's a very simple gun to load for, get the hornady 4 die set, some brass, and cast bullets. If you crimp and bell too enthusiastically you'll get split brass, but once you find the right setting, cases will last a long time.

I can eliminate your load work, get a 390-410 gr cast bullet (I've tried 4-5 different designs in this weight range) load them over 21 gr of H-110 lit off with a CCI 350, and they'll clock 1200 fps give or take from a 7 1/2" revolver. All of those bullets grouped into 1" at 50 yds for five shots, and I never tried to find the most accurate chambers in the cylinder. I'd just load 5 cylinders, and take careful aim.

I know much has been written to malign the 6 shooter 480 srh, but I'll chalk it up to people have either never shot the gun, or put a box of factory fodder through it for a gun review and just had to find something to whine about. I have only fired a cylinder full of 325 gr factory fodder through my gun, and extractin was very slighty sticky. That didn't bother me, as my 400 gr 1200 fps loads have always fallen from the cylinder with no hesitation, proof that they were running lower pressure than factory fodder. While working up loads with the 460 gr, I did get truly sticky extraction, but they were clocking 1150 fps. I backed off to 1050 and all was good. Those big slugs also would print 1" at 50 yds. The gun is plenty strong, and as I've proven to myself, will stand up to many, many loads.

If the 45 colt walks all over the 44 mag as a hunting round, then IMHO, the 480 is the nee plus ultra of shootable iron sighted sixguns you can pack on your hip and won't knock your hat off w/ muzzle blast. Unfortunately too many people had to have the biggest and baddest and the best was left out in the cold.

I don't know any 480 shooter who has been disatisfied with the round. It doesn't garner any bragging rights, but it is an outstanding round.

PS, I've never had a desire to try a 500 S&W. If I ever feel the need for more power, I'll tote a rifle. I have a 500 Jeffrey, the most powerful 500 S&W loads are plinking loads in the Jeffrey, my starting loads are 600gr @ 2200 fps.

PPS, I've also never considering re-chambering the gun to 475 Linebaugh. My buddy had mountain molds make a custom 400 gr mold that has an extra long nose, the bullet is seated out nearly to the face of the cylinder, and thus the 480 has the same powder capacity as the 475 linebaugh. He was pushing those loads 1350 fps, with no pressure sighns. That said, watching him shoot the gun it was obvious that the recoil was greatly encreased over the 1200 fps loads. The DA frame is just nasty on the web of your hand, and IMHO, a 475 linebaugh is of questionable shootability in a DA frame. The SRH with the hogue tamer is a very shootable gun, don't believe the hype that you need more power.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H: The DA frame is just nasty on the web of your hand, and IMHO, a 475 linebaugh is of questionable shootability in a DA frame. The SRH with the hogue tamer is a very shootable gun, don't believe the hype that you need more power.

Paul, it's not that bad. My SRH is loaded with 420s at 1,350 and while it does kick, with practice you get used to it. I love my .475!

.500 S&W vs. .480? The .480 can be packaged in a revolver -- one that fits on your hip. The .500, on the other hand.....

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
The biggest difference between the .480 and .475 is the .475 can shoot with less pressure and can use heavier boolits.
A friend found new BFR .475's on sale for $500 and did not tell me. I paid $715 for mine.
You CAN find a BFR cheaper then a Ruger.
I would think there are many used ones out there because some take a shot or two and can not take the recoil. I have seen too many .44's for sale for that reason. They are sold with the original box of ammo with a few missing.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bfrshooter:
The biggest difference between the .480 and .475 is the .475 can shoot with less pressure and can use heavier boolits.
A friend found new BFR .475's on sale for $500 and did not tell me. I paid $715 for mine.
You CAN find a BFR cheaper then a Ruger.
I would think there are many used ones out there because some take a shot or two and can not take the recoil. I have seen too many .44's for sale for that reason. They are sold with the original box of ammo with a few missing.

There is only 2000 PSI difference in the max SAAMI average pressure for the 2 cartridges hardly enough to get excited about

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is only 2000 PSI difference in the max SAAMI average pressure for the 2 cartridges hardly enough to get excited about

True, but a heavier boolit at the same pressure as a light one in the .480 is still a gain.
It is why using a boolit that can be seated longer in the .480 can give almost .475 performance.
The .475 still performs better overall but that does not make the .480 take a back seat.
When you get into the very heavy boolits, more case capacity is better.
I refuse to compare them as to which is better because it is silly, it depends on what a guy wants to shoot. Both work in their limits.
The point is economics. If I can get a BFR in .475 cheaper then a SRH in .480 it is what I would do but there is nothing wrong the other way around.
Since the rate of twist is faster in the BFR, YES, heavier boolits shoot better.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote