New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheap .22 - Concealed Carry
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Quite often I get the urge to go buy myself a Walther TPH and use this as my concealed carry gun. Frankly, I would feel about as well prepared for whatever as I do carrying my PPK, all things considered. But mostly I'd just like to have an inexpensive gun to leave in the car all the time.

Does anyone have any .22 auto pistols in the TPH class that they would recommend? Preferably MUCH less expensive. Gotta be reliable and shoot pretty accurately.

Thanks for your ideas.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Please explain what TPH class stands for.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swede, the TPH is basically a scaled down Walther PPK. TPH stands for Taschen Pistole Hahn. (Pocket Pistol, w/Hammer.) Here is a pict. I think Walther makes this gun only in .22 and .25 ACP, although I've never seen one in .25. My gun dealer tells me he sells a lot of the TPH for concealed carry.

And they are available in stainless as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My father often carries one of those little revolvers that fits in the palm of your hand, I can't remember who makes them now. They're stainless, with wood grips. No trigger guard. He carries the 22 Mag version, and that little gun can shoot. Wasn't sure if you were specifically looking at an auto but thought I'd atleast throw this one out there.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Thats one neat looking pistol if I buy one it will have to be Stainless Steel.

Beretta made/makes ? a nice 22 compact auto you might check into.

I bought a Jennings 22 to sum it up in one word "Junk" It didnt stand up for more than a couple of boxes before something broke inside I traded it off.

I used to want a Davis Derringer in 22 I thought they were neat. I went to visit my cousin who lives in the country he has a Davis 22 we shot it at a old refrigerator at 20ft it bounced off more "Junk"

I used my 6" S&W K22 (Mod 17) shot all of the way through the fridge with the same shells.

Best of luck on your search for a carry gun.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just remembered who it was that makes the one my father has. They're made by North American Arms.

http://www.naaminis.com

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I've seen the pistol you speak of, King, and sort of have it in my head I want an auto.

The Jennings was the pistol I was thinking of but couldn't remember the name. I shot one once and it shot pretty well if you could hold the little devil...but quality wasn't obviously a top concern for them.

The Beretta is a good pistol, but about as expensive as the Walther...and since I've already got the PPK.

I think I'll just try to work up my nerve for a TPH. It will be stainless.

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Geez Paco the post read cheap .22.I bought an old double 9 High Standard for $29.95 on special from a Buttrey's store in Boise Idaho and shoot brick after brick thru it and six kids later we accasionally hit a can.

Thats a cheap .22 back then........Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
There was a company that made a TPH clone. Don't remember the name. I got one at a Police auction. It shot great, but I sold it, couldn't keep them all. I think they went for around $100 or so. They used to made 3 different 22lr models, the TPH, a small 1911 ish and something different, don't remember right off hand. I also picked up an RG mod 25? revolver. They were cheap, but this one shot well and was accurate.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jaco - I was hoping in this thread that someone could give me a great alternative to the expensive TPH....that's why it said "Cheap .22"

Problem is nobody has come up with satisfactory substitute. I should have stated I am looking for a cheap Concealed Carry Gun

My fault.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos45
Do not bet your life on a cheap pistol.
The small Betetta's work pretty good. The Double action 22 is a good choice, but I think the 25ACP's are slightly more reliable. The Beretta 32 ACP is also a good choice, and has a litle more power than the 22/25's.
When it is all said and done it is hard to beat an airweight
S&W five shot revolver in a Galco Horsehide front pocket holster model number PH158.
Them S&W belly guns don't never jam.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE, I take your advice seriously and always have. Shucks...I don't even bet my fun and hunting on cheap guns. All my guns have always been top drawere and even then they had better perform as advertised.

I'm just crying about having to shell out about $400 for another Walther. But I know I won't settle for or be content with lesser quality.

It's the old "Champaigne Appetite VS Beer Income" Syndrome.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Having had 5 friends with TPHs, 4 of them the stainless American made ones, I can only advise not to buy one...and if you still want to two of my friends would like to dump theirs. The only one that worked well was a blue German made gun that a friend got before the ban on importation.

The cheap .22s are just that CHEAP. I have not run into one yet that is not a Jamamatic.

If you want small, ultra light and reasonably priced get a KelTec .32 or the .380. Used guns run between $150-225. New ones $210-250. I have 10 friends with them and only one lemon in the bunch that was returned and made right by KelTec. I use mine every day while jogging and never ever notice the weight.

Take No2's advise. You personal protection firearm is your Life Insurance Policy. Would you buy your life insurance to protect your family's future from a company with a known bad track record.....Bob

Posts: 601 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos

I'm a state licensed concealed carry instructor.......if you had any idea how many misfires I see with 22 rounds you would NEVER trust your life to a rimfire!

Lot's of my students qualify with 22s, either my own rugers or something they bring.......we have misfires/duds in almost every class, that is with different brands of ammo.........

They are better than rocks, but not as reliable!

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pecos,
I've had two 22 "pocket" autos. One was a Jennings which was a real POS. The other was a Beretta that never failed unless the round was a dud. I would think (?) you could probably find a used Beretta for $200 or less.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
If you're in the market for some sort of cheap pocket pistol, I'd go pawnshopping down "cross the tracks." There's bound to be a used something down there; if you're after something you can leave behind the seat of the truck or in the glove box, I'd start by looking there.

Dad has a CnC permit and carries a Taurus 9mm. He also keeps a little Jennings behind the seat just in case. Personally, I've never been much on that little pistol or Saturday Night Specials in general. If it were my keister on the line, I would prefer the Taurus. But, I guess a gun is better than no gun... I would sort of think a little more before I invested in something like a cheap pistol. That however, is just my $.02.

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote