Find
Notify
Tools

Best full-size 45 ACP
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree, I became interested in the CZ 75 initially when Jeff Cooper went on + on about how great it was + for him to say anything positive about a 9mm was worth checking into. I bought one + love it.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found a special edition Colt I couldn't pass on.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
dancing

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vwery nice indeed!

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you going to carry it or look at it.

Obviously it hasn't been carried very much at all.

But give it a few weeks in a holster and it well not look that nice.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still getting a Glock 21. This one is more of a "dressing up for church on Sunday" piece :-)

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is one beautiful colt now go inside of the barn so you can hit it Big Grin

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A barn....will that help???

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
A glock 20 can be a 21 easily. Probably 21 to 20 also.

quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Still getting a Glock 21. This one is more of a "dressing up for church on Sunday" piece :-)

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Very nice. I’ve never seen that one.

https://www.coltforum.com/thre...n-definition.377536/

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got a Glock 21 Gen 4 today for a 45 ACP I don't have to be so careful with.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Careful? It's more difficult to experience an AD with a cocked and locked 1911 than with a Glock.

1911: Maintain pressure to grip safety, flip off manual safety, pull trigger.

Glock: Pull trigger.

rotflmo

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I meant I don't need to be careful with, as in I don't want to scratch up the Colt. A Glock you can treat like the tool that it is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly! That's why I don't carry my Les Baer, but my thoughts are mainly that if I use it I will lose it + most likely not get it back. But the similarity reminds me of when I bought my son a 64 Chevy P.U. many years ago + had a new paint job done. He was frantic that NO ONE got too close to the vehicle to scratch with their belt buckle. I told him, just take your key + walk down the side + get it over with. You'll sleep better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not to get all churchy… but a fitting verse for a fitting firearm applies here.

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Posts: 161 | Registered: 19 September 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AMEN! :-)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Kimber I just couldn't turn down, it prettier than a Cajun queen and shoots like a target gun, feeds slicker n snot..I couldn't find a colt commander LWT, for under $2000..so Im close but no ceegar, I just have a "thang" for colt 1911s in one form or another! tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
Careful? It's more difficult to experience an AD with a cocked and locked 1911 than with a Glock.

1911: Maintain pressure to grip safety, flip off manual safety, pull trigger.

Glock: Pull trigger.

rotflmo

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YnoJ4uqUa1U" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

There are more accidental discharges with striker fired pistols than any other make. However, 1911's will discharge if the sear breaks.

All those safeties, thumb, grip, etc, they are all sear blocking safeties. Break the tip off the sear and there is nothing in the safety system that will block the fall of the hammer.

The match director at a near by Bullseye pistol match, during the load command, released the slide so his pistol would chamber the round. This was at the start of either timed fire or rapid fire. The sear broke and the hammer followed the slide down. The pistol went full auto, and it was lucky that the magazine had only five rounds in it. The fifth round went through the brim of shooter's hat! It used to be, that in Bullseye Pistol matches, you were required to hold the hammer back, when you released the slide. The grip safeties of the era had enough clearance that you could hold the hammer back with your thumb.

This pistol has the Clark 180 beavertail, which was designed for Bullseye Shooters, and has enough clearance to hold the hammer down when the slide is released

If you read his patents, John Browning intended for the pistol to be carried, round in the chamber, hammer at half cock.

How do you think this was carried?

Study the evolution of John Browning's pistol designs, he designed them, if carried with a round in the chamber, to be carried at the half cock.

As far back as the 1903 model, he designed the pistol to be carried at the half cock, and his design intentionally locked the slide in place when the hammer was a half cock.

The Army would none of that half cock stuff, the safety was strictly a short term measure to make the pistol safe with one hand. And once his horse stopped bucking, the Trooper would lower the hammer all the way down, and place the pistol in the flap holster.

This is the Army mode of carry in 1913

The Navy would have none of that round in the chamber stuff, and from the earliest days of Navy carry, all the way past WW2, the approved Navy carry was nothing in the chamber, pistol in the flap holster. Gotta tell you, you were more likely to get a pistol than a magazine or rounds if you were expected to stand guard with a firearm. The Navy is very aware that an accidental discharge inside one of their steel ships will cause a lot of problems with the bullet rattling around a lot of swabbies and fuses.

John Browning offered a system that would prevent the pistol discharging if the sear broke. He was well familiar with sear breakages. You drop a 1911 on its hammer, and if it is fully cocked, or at half cock, and break the sear, the pistol will discharge.

This is the patent, and you can find the text.

notice that the hammer configuration was not incorporated into the military 1911.

However, accidental discharges occurred when individuals lost control of the hammer when lowering. By the middle 1930's, Hatcher mentions the carry mode became round in chamber, safety on, and in the flap holster.

many soldiers still carried the 1911 the old way, hammer down, during WW2

by the time you get to Vietnam, how you carried the pistol in the field was up to your unit commander, but the allowed carry in cantonment was magazine in the gun, no round in the chamber, pistol in the flap holster. I wondered about this change, and then at one National Match I talked a Kimber employee. He said that the Army had over thousand Jeeps, from 1940 to 1970, with a 45 caliber hole in the transmission transom, all due to 1911's discharging on the floor of the Jeep. He said what happened is the Officer removed his web belt (to include 1911 in the holster) off and placed it on the floor between the seats. And then, during the wild rides these guys sometimes have, the web belt and pistol would slam against the transmission transom, and that free floating firing pin would ignite a round. There is a drop safety issue with a series 70 M1911

Be aware of the limitations and risks of the series 70 design, and act accordingly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Horse hocky, Ive packed a 1911 and a Browning HI power for over 60 years and survived, Guns go off with idiots that screw up...The double action pull on a auto is normally a miss...All that negative masterbation is worthless, and based on what if..If there was ever a proven weapon it is the 1911 and its counter parts..Thats my story and Im sticking to it! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:

Beautiful! I got lucky and picked up a Springfield Pro about 5 years ago. Love it.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck, you have enough magazines there to clear the streets! :-)

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Some very nice pistols there! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the back cover in the latest copy of Sporting Classics, there are 2 long slides 1911s'by Springfield Armory "Garrisons" that are very appealing.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Good dedicated forums for discussions of all the various 1911s out there at 1911forum.com.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Agree!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a P220 compact ready to ship to Florida. Really liked it but too much for old guy. Frowner

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1056 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SpicyCrabDip
posted Hide Post
I might be late to this party but I thought i would add my two cents as I am looking to take my 45 hunting this year and was perusing the internet for some confirmation bias.

I just read an article about the 'best 45 ACP handguns', read it here at gun university .

it looks like the P220 was their favorite, but the 1911 was second. that is what i chose. the glock 21 was a close second for me as i have familiarity with glocks, but i liked the idea of a nicer trigger from the 1911. I used the sig P series many years ago and just could not get into it, so it is definitely not my number 1.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The double action pull on a auto is normally a miss.

Sounds like someone needs more training and practice.

I have seen hundreds of thousands of good first round hits from double action revolvers and double action semi autos.

Given proper training and practice.

If you can't make a good first round hit using the double action. You need better training and more practice.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Exactly! That's why I don't carry my Les Baer, but my thoughts are mainly that if I use it I will lose it + most likely not get it back. But the similarity reminds me of when I bought my son a 64 Chevy P.U. many years ago + had a new paint job done. He was frantic that NO ONE got too close to the vehicle to scratch with their belt buckle. I told him, just take your key + walk down the side + get it over with. You'll sleep better.

My thoughts re this is if I have a really good and accurate handgun that is reliable, I don’t care if it’s a $5000 Wilson gun, I carry it. The odds it will save my life vs. a less familiar gun that isn’t as good make it a no brainer that I’d rather lose the gun afterwards and be alive to be pissed off.

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote