THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Black Bear hunt which gun to use???
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black Bear hunt which gun to use???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Well I went to the indoor range today and shot the 480 Ruger. I did a sight in of the Ultra-dot and on the 3rd shot I was real close. I made a few adjustment and started shooting.
I was using Speer 400 gr. soft point bullets and 16.5 gr. of Lil'gun for my initial get on the paper loads. Shot 1 was 4 inch's to the right and 3 inches high, I made an adjustment and shot 2 was centered but 3 1/2 inches high. I made an adjustment again and shots 3,4 and 5 were 2 inches high and close to center. Made another small adjustment and shots 6 through 12 were about 1 inch high but dead center.

Moved on to shooting load number 2 with 400 gr. Speer JSP with 19.5 gr. of H 110

I shot two more targets with 6 rounds each and my groups were Ok, I was shooting off a bench and held the gun unsupported. (NO REST) on the first target, the second 6 shots were off hand rapid fire with a 2 1/2 inch group. The second set of 6 shots was with my 400 gr. hard cast loads with 20.5 gr. of H 110.

Then I moved to a 3rd target my first 5 shots were all touching each other with one flyer, my fault. Awesome group about a little over 1 inch.

Last target was also with my 400 gr. hard cast bullets with 20.5 gr. of H 110. Another awesome group just over an inch with one flyer, again me looking to see and not concentration on shooting but more looking at the target.

Over all I am very impressed with the Ruger and the Ruger 480.

I shot a few more targets playing around after all is said and done, I shot 70 rounds. Big Grin

Time to reload......

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an excellent trip to the range.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Excellent!! That is promising to say the very least! It doesn't surprise me that the SRH is a shooter! So, is the .480 going to get the nob on your black bear hunt?? Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
Excellent!! That is promising to say the very least! It doesn't surprise me that the SRH is a shooter! So, is the .480 going to get the nob on your black bear hunt?? Big Grin

Either the 45-70 BFR or the 480 Ruger.
If I take the Ruger, I need to get a holster for it. I have a nylon one, but I want a leather one.

Whitworth, if you want, I can send you pictures of the targets I shot today?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Send 'em on, I'll post 'em up! Big Grin

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Whitworth, you got mail.... Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Here are Redhawk1's target photos of today's range session -- I'll post in parts and let him explain them.......

Semper Fidelis

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
More Redhawk1's photos......

Semper Fidelis

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
And last but not least.......

Semper Fidelis

posted Hide Post
Looks like it's got real potential.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
All targets were shot at 25 yards. I shot off a bench only using my hands to support the gun, no shooting vice of rest was used.

Whitworth's first post.
The top target is 6 shots, all 5 are touching each other with one flyer. Using my 20.5 gr of H 110 and Montana Bullet Works 400 gr. hard cast bullets.
Second picture is the same information as above.
Third picture is the start of my sighting in process. Shots 1 &2 are the high shots.
3,4,and 5 were shots after an adjustment was made.
Shots 6 through 12 were 7 shots to finish off my sight in ammo. (Speer 400 gr. soft point bullets and 16.5 gr. of Lil'gun)

Whitworth's second post.
Top picture just shows the first 2 shot taken with only one adjustment made to the left.
Second picture is 6 shots using 400 gr. Speer bullets and 19.5 gr's of H 110 Again 5 shots in one small group and the flyer. I get to excited and loose focus when I see a small group and somehow pull my 6th shot.
3rd picture is my 400 gr. Hard cast bullets and 20.5 gr, of H 110 shooting off hand standing rapid fire.

Whitworth's 3rd post.
All the pictures are of the same target, this was a 6 shot group with my 400 gr. Hard cast bullets and 20.5 gr, of H 110. 25 yards sitting and supporting the gun only by my hands no rest.
Once again a very nice 5 shot group with my normal flyer.

Thank you Whitworth for taking the time to post these. thumb

Yes this gun has a lot of potential.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Not a problem. My SRH as a .480 was also very accurate.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redhawk1 did you chronograph any of those loads?

I would be curious to know what velocities you are getting. I have a .480Ruger SRH that I need to make some loads for. I have the 400gr Hornady's and intned to use H-110.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Demonical:
Redhawk1 did you chronograph any of those loads?

I would be curious to know what velocities you are getting. I have a .480Ruger SRH that I need to make some loads for. I have the 400gr Hornady's and intned to use H-110.

No I did not, it was a quick trip to the indoor range and they don't let you set up a chronograph.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Redhawk, I think you are doing very good. Take that .480 and kill some bears. Make sure we see the results.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I know it will be in the truck with me when I go to Maine, so will a few of the others. But I got 3 months left of shooting before I go and have to decide. Now my BFR in 45-70 shoots a lot more accurate, but then again I was shooting kind of fast with the 480 also. The BFR 45-70 I have is a tack driver. Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I'll bet with some practice and fine tuning that SRH of yours will also be a tack driver!! thumb

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I am sure it will, I have been reloading again today, I got 100 rounds total loaded for the 480 Ruger now. I will head back to the range and take my time shooting this time. I may have to take a trip to my outdoor range so I can shot it at 50 yard also.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I casted about 130 420 grain WFNs today....... Next week, lube, size and load....... dancing

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I casted about 130 420 grain WFNs today....... Next week, lube, size and load....... dancing

I also loaded up a bunch of 45-70 rounds for my BFR and a bunch of 440 gr. bullets for the 500 Mags.

I only have 100 more rounds to do tomorrow for my Encore 308 Winchester.

I wish I could load them as fast as I shoot them... rotflmo

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
No kidding! It is time consuming. I also casted about 35 277 grain bullets for one of my .44s........

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I don't think I want to ever get into casting bullets, that would just be one more job. I think it would take the fun out of shooting so much. I will stick to ordering bullets from Ranger Rick and Montana Bullet Works.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redhawk1 at some point will you Chrony those loads and provide the results?

Observation:
I'm a bit confused that you did not first build a safe load based on Chronograph data before going into full-bore production and shooting. Confused

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Redhawk1 at some point will you Chrony those loads and provide the results?

Observation:
I'm a bit confused that you did not first build a safe load based on Chronograph data before going into full-bore production and shooting. Confused

Why the confusion, I am using load data that is available from Hodgdon.
I am using the data for the 405 gr.hard cast bullet. The starting load is 20.0 gr. of H 110 and the max is 22.3 gr. of H 110

I am using 400 gr. Hard cast bullets with 20.5 gr. of H 110. I am just 0.5 gr. over the minimum load.

I am not a newbe to reloading, I have been reloading for over 25 years.

As for the chronograph, I will have to wait for my shooting buddy to get back from TDY so I can use it. I never felt the need to own one because I use printed data and as long as I stay inside the recommended data and I get good accuracy that is what matter most to me. But on occasion my buddy and I chronograph loads just to see how close the books are.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums?a=prply&...4105168&qm=776108568

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
The chronograph doesn't provide much anything that is valuable in my opinion -- and yes, I like to use them, but they are an afterthought. Redhawk1 is using published load data -- and that will be the determinent factor in safety -- in other words, he is not exceeding or loading under safe published loads. You work the load until you get the most accurate one, and then, if you're so inclined and curious, you can chronograph......JMHO........

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The chronograph doesn't provide much anything that is valuable in my opinion -- and yes, I like to use them, but they are an afterthought. Redhawk1 is using published load data -- and that will be the determinent factor in safety -- in other words, he is not exceeding or loading under safe published loads. You work the load until you get the most accurate one, and then, if you're so inclined and curious, you can chronograph......JMHO........

My thought exactly...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redhawk1, I've loaded a heckuva pile of bullets for rifle from .270 up to .458 Lott and I always thought the correct method was to load a few and fire them over the chrony to check velocity and then go from there.

I guess for revolver it's different. My bad...

Anyways, I'd still be interested to know your velocity results, if you get a chance to run them through the chrony.

Good luck with your bear hunt and be sure to post pics!

Jim. Smiler

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Redhawk1, I've loaded a heckuva pile of bullets for rifle from .270 up to .458 Lott and I always thought the correct method was to load a few and fire them over the chrony to check velocity and then go from there.

I guess for revolver it's different. My bad...

Anyways, I'd still be interested to know your velocity results, if you get a chance to run them through the chrony.

Good luck with your bear hunt and be sure to post pics!

Jim. Smiler

If you use printed data, and are not exceeding or loading under safe published loads, in my opinion a chronograph is not going to make any difference. Most printed data will give you a ball park figure of the velocity and usually it will be close.

I do take different loads for each gun I take to the range. Weather it is a rifle or handgun. I shoot them until I find a load that gives me good groups. I guess we all just do it differently.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I like to chronograph as well, but it's just not always practical to use one. Accuracy comes first for me and as Redhawk1 pointed out, I too have found that the ballpark figures listed with published loading data is usually close enough for government work. Don't get me wrong, I do like chronographing loads, but it's more to sate my curiousity that anything else. JMHO.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk1:
I am going on a black bear hunt in August. I have to figure which handgun I want to take.

I have already taken black bear & deer with my BFR in 500 Mag, deer with my 44 Mag.

I have a BFR in 45-70 with 405 gr, head cast bullets that is a tack driver, a S&W 460 Mag with 300 gr. hard cast bullets, a new Ruger 480 that I will be reloading some 400 gr. hard cast bullets and a T/C Encore in 500 Mag with some 440 gr. hard cast bullets.
My set up is going to be from a ground blind less than 20 yards from the bait. So this is a up and close hunt.
I have also considered my 4 in S&W Mag with some 440 gr. bullets. Now I have shot and am real comfortable with all my guns mentioned, except the new 480 Ruger. (which has not been to the range yet)

What would you all choose in my position? Right now the BFR in 45-70 is my front runner.

So, how did the hunt go?

It is snowing and people are getting ready for the coming spring and gun shows are opening up and I remembered this thread.

Curious minds want to know. At least, I know my mind is curious. Everybody who knows me thinks I am "curious"

Lost Sheep

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Lost Sheep,
I ended up using my new 510 GNR Revolver with open sights, and got a 206 pound black bear at 25 yards. One shot and a 20 to 25 yard recovery on my bear.

Going back this year hoping I don't get an itchy finger, and trip the trigger on another small bear. I want a big boy this year.

I am hoping my 475 Linebaugh will be ready from Gary Reeder to go on the hunt, if not my Encore 375 JDJ or my Encore 375 H&H pistol barrel's will get the nod.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
And here is the awesome mount done by Mr. George Roof thumb:

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Thank you Marko for posting that pic. George does very good work for an old fart.. Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
That looks great! thumb

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk1:
Thank you Marko for posting that pic. George does very good work for an old fart.. Big Grin

And where in the world is George? He hasn't been here in a long time.

Semper Fidelis