THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Any ideas on which 6.5 caliber to use?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any ideas on which 6.5 caliber to use?
 Login/Join

<Dodgy Doug>
posted
I'm working on a new project. I want to have a bolt action pistol built based on a xp100, or Savage Striker in a 6.5mm. What ever version of a 6.5 I chose I want to be able to get about 2800 fps with 120 grain bullets from a 15 inch barrel. I was thinking about a 260 improved, or Lazaroni Phantom but would like other peoples suggestions who may already have something in a 6.5mm caliber that meets my criteria. Your help is appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
have you considered trying a 6.5/284? I would think it to fit and the cartridge is supposed to work really nice in rifle for serious range.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Paul Dustin>
posted
The 6.5/284 should do you a good job I have a 30/284 and I can get a little over 2800fps from a 125gr bullet out of a 14" BBL

<pehantel>
posted
I have been playing with 6.5 Mini Drednaught from SSK. It does about 2700 FPS with a 120 and I got over 3000FPS with the 95grn V-Max. SSK does really good work too. They are supposed to be comming out with a 6.5-06 which ought ad about 300 FPS to the above numbers.

<gone hunting>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Dodgy Doug:
I'm working on a new project. I want to have a bolt action pistol built based on a xp100, or Savage Striker in a 6.5mm. What ever version of a 6.5 I chose I want to be able to get about 2800 fps with 120 grain bullets from a 15 inch barrel. I was thinking about a 260 improved, or Lazaroni Phantom but would like other peoples suggestions who may already have something in a 6.5mm caliber that meets my criteria. Your help is appreciated.

i'd vote for the 260imp 35* but which ever you choose go with the XP100.
My Striker has the worst, dumbest designed trigger of any firearm i've ever seen. although i really like the left bolt right port feature.

------------------
born on a mountain, raised in a cave, hunting and fishing is all i crave!

<Dodgy Doug>
posted
I really appreciate everyone's reply. I am strongly leaning towards the 6.5/284. But will continue to keep an open mind.

posted Hide Post
My suggestion would be a XP-100 R in .260 rem
with a 15" Bbl with a muzzle brake.
I currently shoot XP-100 R in .223,22-250,.243,260,7mm-08,308,350 rem mag.
All have Leupold 2.5-8X EER scopes mounted on them.
Each gun will shoot .5 & under at 100yds.
The .260 pushes 140gr bullets at 2550fps easily with hand loads.
Ammo is available at most gun shops if you are not a reloader.
Keep'em in the X ring DAN

Posts: 13 | Location: Fairbanks,Alaska | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Dodgy Doug>
posted
Ok, Thanks everyone for the good input. I have now narrowed my caliber choice to either a 6.5/284 or 260 AI. From what everyone is saying I think the 6.5/284 should do 2800 from a 15" barrel using 120 grain bullets, and the 260 AI will probably do just over 2700 with the same bullet/barrel combination. With the 6.5/284 I'm probably blowing a lot of powder out the barrel for the small gain over the 260AI. I know the 260 is great on its own, but I just like the AI and hey its my project! I also decided on a bolt action with a mid grip. I have a HS Precision in 6mmBR that shoots in the low .3's. But I don't know if I want to spend all that money, and then send it out and have the chamber cut to the AI version. Maybe should look for used Rem. XP and rebarrel (probably would cost less). I'll keep reading the forums till I can make up my mind.