Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How slow is too slow.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
...and THEN there was the case of a new reloader who was trying some newly reloaded .45 ACP rounds at a local range. Someone remarked at how quiet the rounds were. "It's a pretty light load", quoth the neophyte.

"oh really?" said the onlooker, "What load IS that?"

"it's 3 grains of Hodgdon Clays, with a 200 grain semi-wadcutter." answered the neophyte.

"THAT'S interesting...how're you measuring the charge?" asked the onlooker.

"One individual grain (granule) at a time, with tweezers." he quipped, "How ELSE do ya do it?"

I wasn't personally a witness to this conversation, but I can SOMEhow envision the entire exchange, with the neophyte never even cracking a smile.

"Howard Help Us!"

Posts: 5 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 23 March 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kosh75287:
...and THEN there was the case of a new reloader who was trying some newly reloaded .45 ACP rounds at a local range. Someone remarked at how quiet the rounds were. "It's a pretty light load", quoth the neophyte.

"oh really?" said the onlooker, "What load IS that?"

"it's 3 grains of Hodgdon Clays, with a 200 grain semi-wadcutter." answered the neophyte.

"THAT'S interesting...how're you measuring the charge?" asked the onlooker.

"One individual grain (granule) at a time, with tweezers." he quipped, "How ELSE do ya do it?"

I wasn't personally a witness to this conversation, but I can SOMEhow envision the entire exchange, with the neophyte never even cracking a smile.

"Howard Help Us!"

Yikes!! It takes all kinds! jumping

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No Whitworth, it doesn't take all kinds; but you surely do have them.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed! Can you imagine how long it would take to load some hotter loads? What kind of equipment would it take to turn a grain of powder into a half a grain of powder? dancing

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMiller:
I did think that UNIVERSAL CLAYS and CLAYS were the same powder.

quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
The powder companies shoulder never have named the 2 with such close sounding names.
I almost got sucked into this with 4350 powders a few years back.
There were 3 different 4350 powders (IMR, Hodgdon, and Accurate) luckily the guy at the counter opened up a reloading manual and it was IMR that I needed. 4831 is another “multiple†powder.

There is also International Clays powder, to go along with Clays and Universal clays.
Not the smartest thing to name different powders with close to the same name.

You can’t possibly be the first guy to do this, nor the last…

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Guy in the above post must have had some good and hot primers.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMiller:
Puma454 you can come back.

This sight has lots of good info we can all learn a thing or two every once in a while. Even if its not how to do something.

Rmiller,

Thanks for being kind to your detractor. Shows a lot of class.

Did you know Clay's makes three powders. Universal Clays, International Clays and what I will call "No-name" Clays? VERY confusing, at least, to me. By coincidence, yesterday I spent 20 minutes trying to get a (knowledgeable) clerk at Sportsmans Warehouse to explain to me the reasoning behind Clay's naming conventions. He could not do it. But it was not his fault. I could not understand it because it is just not understandable. You just have to accept it. Or switch to another powder, tell Clay's why you are not using their powder and wait for them to make the shooting world safer by using reasonable names.

On a slightly off-topic note, I still do not understand why jacketed bullets at slow speeds are dangerous. Can the jackets actually peel off or something? Maybe a dumb question, but I have not had the experience, nor know anyone who actually knows (or is willing to reveal this secret). Just everyone SAYS so.

A friend and I worked up some loads for his 500 Smith & Wesson for practice, familiarization and for his wife to shoot. (No sexism implied. She does not like recoil-her preference.) We got around 500 fps with a 300 grain jacketed bullet and no discernable problems. (There were no cast lead bullets available anywhere we could find.) Then, I heard from IMR that "Trail Boss powder does not like jacketed bullets." No explanation, no other comment.

I emailed back "How does Trail Boss express this dislike for jacketed bullets?" Two weeks. No answer. Perhaps IMR does not know.

It may have been stupid of us to shoot these bullets rather than pull them. I don't know, but we are being careful that there is nothing left in the barrel after each shot as we wait for Trail Boss to complain to us in person. In the meantime, they shoot just fine.

Larry (Lost Sheep)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When did I say you could shoot 475 Lin in a 480 Ruger? I don't remember saying this? Also I may be a dumb ass but I still have all my fingers and my face is intact! Smiler

One shot One Kill

Posts: 64 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 08 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
In the lever gun forum.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=754106518#754106518

Live and learn.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have worked up some very quite loads with only a couple of grs of powder any thing that gets the bullet out the barrel works. For real quite stuf with enough energy to kill I found about 600 fts works I notice a differant in sound when I get to around 800fps then more at a 1000 then when when I break the sound barrier it gets a lot lounder.

Posts: 19379 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote