THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Any Smith & Wesson 41 owners ( .22 cal )

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Smith & Wesson 41 owners ( .22 cal )
 Login/Join

<corbon01>
posted
I would like some feedback on the .22cal Smith & Wesson model 41. How good does this rimfire semi-auto shoot? what kind of ammo does it like? If anybody ownes one please, please give me some input on this Model.

Thanks ! Paul

one of us
posted Hide Post
Although I am boycotting current Smith products, I do own a pre-sell out 41 and it is an excellent target pistol. Be aware that the tight tolerances may give some feeding problems with some brands of ammo if the gun is not aqueaky clean. This will tend to resolve itself as you shoot it more. Probably the most accurate American target pistol, the High Standard being the only other in the running. I like the shorter barreled version, seems to hang better. Good luck.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Jeff in ND>
posted
I had one and in a weak moment (low cash) sold it to a buddy, now he won't sell it back to me. I have a couple of High Standards (Victor and Ciation) I shoot in our local NRA bullseye league. I think either the High Standard (old ones) or the Model 41 are great. Kind of the Chevy/Ford argument.
BTW Chevy and High Standards are better then Fords and S&W :-)
Good Hunting
Jeff in ND

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got an S&W Model 46 - 7 3/8" bbl. I believe it's the same model as the 41, except not so pretty. It has nylon grips and a matte type finish.

I got it used about 20 years ago, and have put literally thousands of rounds through it with never a jam. Only problem was an occasional misfire from cheap ammo, and I've put pretty much every type of target ammo through it.

AFA accuracy, on a good day, I can shoot four out of five empty shotgun hulls off the target stand @ 25 yards.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
corbon01 - Welcome to the forum. In 1980, I bought my model 41 with a 7" and put a Burris 4X scope on it. For 10 years I shot small bore silhouettes with it. The gun is by far the most accurate small bore that I have ever shot.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't like to be reminded that I sold mine about 30 years ago. Big mistake. More accurate than other pistols I've owned, more accurate than I could shoot one-handed, ever.

No problems.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<IM4RMEF>
posted
S&W M41- The most finicky, jammo-matic you will ever love. I had two and traded the long barreled one towards a .22 match rifle.
I love my M41 but the first 50-100 rds was tedious as it malfunctioned repeatedly. After a while it worked out of its finicky ways.
Four of my friends also use 41's. One sent his to the factory at least twice to improve function. They told him to use CCI ammunition.
Another friend had similiar results and sold his in disgust.
The other two love theirs and wouldn't shoot anything else.
One claims that the longer barreled versions are less troublesome. I believe that high velocity CCIs are best for break in. Mine were NIB but manufactured in the 70's. The two misfit examples were of more recent manufacture. The accuracy and triggers are EXCELLENT!

<migra>
posted
I was on the opposite end of a deal like Jeff in ND had. I had a friend that had one and needed money. That was over 15 years ago and he still wants it back. (fat chance) It's the most accurate easy to shoot handgun I own. I mostly shoot bargain basement ammo through it because it shoots better than I do with cheap ammo. If I ever got really good (once again fat chance) I'd feed it better ammo. I have gotten it fouled enough that it jammed but after cleaning it always works fine.

<quickdraw>
posted
I love my s&W 41. I don't think I have EVER had it jam. I shoots exceptionally accurately. Mine is an older one that my grandfather had for a while. My step-dad shot bullseye and preferred the High-Standard (he was a 2600 club member). I think it's a great pistol, but be sure to buy a pre-sell-out one.

--QD

<Paladin>
posted
I used a Model 41 years ago for target shooting, but after being allowed to shoot some of the other competitors' guns, sold it in favor of a Browning Medalist --which I then used to thoroughly stomp the competition. Repeatedly. Year after year.

The Model 41 is a classic target pistol and an excellent example of what can be done with human craftsmanship in finishing a mass-produced firearm, but they didn't get the grip angle quite right. They designed it just at the time when formal, gallery-type bullseye target shooting was changing stance and form, going from a slightly bent-elbow stance to an extended-arm stance. I shot extended-arm stance, which the Medalist had been designed to compliment.

Ah, well... does anyone shoot formal bullseye competition anymore??? I suppose those are the old, dead days......