THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Any one else hunt small game with a 32 H&R mag pistol?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any one else hunt small game with a 32 H&R mag pistol?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I like shooting snow shoe hairs and porcupines with my 32 H&R mag single sixes.I think they are the neatest little pistols.I have shot alot of critters with my 32 mags.I load up loads that are only fit for rugers or other strong pistols.I love the 100 gr hornady xtp bullets.I also shoot alot of 115 gr flat points.Its alot more powerful than you would think loaded up.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I don't have one but I think it would be great.
when I'm at my cabin in the winter I carry a .357 for fur bearers and this may be to heavy for some
I think Ross Seyfried hunts with them and list it as one of his favorite revolvers.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I hunt with my a good bit. It's a great little round and I've taken game up past coyote size.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

posted Hide Post
Yes, the H&R is a great little cartridge. I own three handguns for this little round, a 6 1/2" Ruger SSM with a 2X Leupold mounted, a 5 1/2" with adj. sites and a fixed site S.S. Bisley .32. I plan on having adj sites on the Bisley when I get around to shipping it out to Texas for the work. They all make great little plinking or small game guns. I usually load 85 gn. Hornadys or 100 gn. SWC home cast. Squirrels, rabbits, and, on trips to S. Texas, an occasional Javelina. Love my little 32's. In the Ruger, I have safely exceeded published data, as it was developed for the comparatively weak first platform for the round, the H&R revolver. I don't recommend you doing this as you are completely on your own when you exceed published data, only commenting on performance with my loads in my firearms. Truth be told, staying within published guidelines the round will do everything I ask of it for small game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO don't u think .32 Magnum might be a little overkill for small critters,and it's cost r more expensive?I would stick to .22 or .22LR to do the job.What u think?

posted Hide Post
No, I do not consider it overkill; and because I can reload the round, it doesn't really qualify for being cost-prohibitive. I can load the ammo for around the cost of magnum rimfires and it is a great deal more effective.

Then you just get into I like to shoot my .32Mag and it's all good.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
cast your own bullets out of free wheelweight and if you have your brass it costs about 2 bucks a box to load. most 22 lr will cost about the same.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
32 H&R mag is not only a revolver cartridge. Marlin makes a lever rifle so chambered.

I find that the Speer 100 grain HP's work good also.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was using my .44 mag, shooting hard cast .44 special loads, for small game until I got tired of carrying the weight on backpack trips. NOW, I carry a single six in .32 H&R. This is a great combination, light, remarkably accurate, and hard hitting for the marmots I shoot. My daughters and girlfriend like shooting it as well.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its an awesome round thats a big step above a 22 pistol.I let lots of friends shoot mine and they love them.I had a dan wasson ISHA 32 mag that shot 1" groups at 100 yards.I sold he to a guy who could not live without it.I just bought a pair of dan wesson 32 mags in a pistol pack.They were the last two made by Dan Wesson I am told and are consecutive.I cant wait to shoot them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
dgr416 I agree that the .32 H&R is a big step above the .22. I do a lot of marmot hunting and have found that the .22 results in too many that get back down the hole, and too much chance for a wounded animal. Those marmots are tough! That's why I was using the .44, and why I now use the .32. Oh, and I love those Dan Wessons clap My .44 is a DW, and I am constantly tempted to get one in .32.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know from marmots, but Pennsylvania groundhogs are tough varmints. .22 long rifles work OK if you shoot them in the head. But the .32 H&R and hollow points kills 'em dead even if you don't manage to hit the head. I'm not saying a tail shot will anchor them, but any shot to the CNS.

Mine is a S&W square butt K-frame, model 16-4 with 6" barrel.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outside of the groundhogs mentioned by onfunz, it is illegal to hunt small game in PA with the 32

The Lord Bless You

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
In a word, Yes..."Manually operated rifles and handguns less than 23 caliber" are legal for small game.

"Note: Rifle and handgun caliber restrictions do not apply when hunting woodchucks."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 32 Mag. is one great round. I have used most all types of production revolvers made for this .32 with the exception of the H&Rs. This includes the S&W, Wesson, Ruger, and Taurus. I have not had a chance to try my Freedom yet. I have found the Rugers (older adj. sight models and Bisley)to be the most consistantly accurate of the lot so far. They are reasonable in price as well. The 85gr.jhp has been my choice for PDs. The Hornady outshot the Speer. Commercial cast 100gr. SWCs have been great for general use. There is no free lunch, so the price for performance is loud blast. Wear you ear protection

Posts: 402 | Location: Hurricane Central, FL | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been a fan of the 32 H&R for quite a few years. Have used several S&Ws with 4, 6 and 8 3/8s barrels, one H&R, a couple Ruger SSs (1st run) and a 10" Contender. I settled on the 6 1/2" Ruger SS (1st run) and the 10" Contender to keep. They are both wonderfully accurate handguns. The .32 with a HBWC at 700+ fps or SWC in the 1000-1100 fps range is a much better killer on small game than any .22LR cartridge in a comparable handgun. I cast my own (6 cavity Lee TL314-90-SWC and Lyman 313631 a SWCGC desinged for the ,32 H&R) and with salvaged range lead and the 6 cavity mould the cost of reloading the .32 is about what high end .22LRs cost as Lloyd mentioned. For commercial bullets the Speer and Hornady HBWCs and particularly the Hornady 90 gr SWC are hard to beat. I load on a Dillon 550B so that is an easy and quick chore. I load the Lees (or Hornady 90 gr SWC) over 3 gr of Bullseye for 1000 fps in the Ruger and the Lymans over 6 gr of Unique for 1350 fps in the Ruger. Federal factory SWCs and HPs run 1025-1050 fps out of the Ruger. All these loads run close to 200 fps faster in the Contender with very, very good accuracy. A wonderful cartridge for a light small frame revolver (I hardly know the 61/2" barreled Ruger is on my hip) with more killing power than a .22LR yet without the attendant muzzle balst and recoil of the bigger CF handgun cartridges.

BTW; I've also a fondness for the S&W M31 with 3" barrel in .32 S&WL. A very fine little 6 shot "kit" gun. The Speer or Hornady HBWC over 2.1 gr Bullseye is a very effective killer of small edible game animals with minimal meat damage. I've shot many a cottentail and grouse for the pot with my M31 and that load.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I see Ruger making a SP101 I believe, but with the interest, it SEEMS they would offer the Stainless Single Six adj. sight to regular production? I don't understand.....it may be of interest in cowboy shooting but it seems like a top contender for a trail packin pistol round and small game hunting round. I might own one if the above config. was mfg.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I passed on the S&W 31-1 because of the lack of decent sights. It's OK for personal protection, I suppose, but it's sorely lacking for any kind of small game hunting. That's why I went with the 16-4...good adjustable sights.

Good luck trying to find a Ruger SP101 with 4" barrel. I couldn't even find one new for sale.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
I passed on the S&W 31-1 because of the lack of decent sights. It's OK for personal protection, I suppose, but it's sorely lacking for any kind of small game hunting.

My M31 hits point of aim at 25 yards with the HBWC load and about 1" high with the Lee 90 gr cast SWC or the Hornady swaged SWC over 2.7 gr Bullseye. As I said, I've killed many a cottentail or brush bunny and grouse inside 30 yards or so with that load. These days I do have to tip my head back a tudge so the Bi of trifocal brings the little sights into focus. I have played with several M31s over the years and most all of then didn't have windage problems because of the minimal recoil. The elevation is cured by switching to lighter or heavier bullet, changing the powder charge or filing or adding to the front sight. All are easy enough to do. However as to the theme of this thread an adjustable sighted .32 H&R is much better. That's why I just love the Ruger SS.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As one of those folks whose hands just don't like the classic single action grip, I'd love to have a stainless steel small frame Ruger Bisley in .32 H&R Magnum, with adjustable sights. I guess the fact that I fired my first two handgun shots from an old Colt Bisley .45 was an omen of sorts. I'd really prefer a stainless steel Smith & Wesson K-32, but, when found, they're priced for collectors, not mere small game hunters.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TwentyTwo:
I'd really prefer a stainless steel Smith & Wesson K-32, but, when found, they're priced for collectors, not mere small game hunters.

Every S&W K-32 combat masterpiece was chambered in 32 S&W Long and was blued steel with walnut grips. Only about 3600 were ever made and yes they are quite pricey. They are model 16. The only one chambered in 32 magnum was the 16-4, made from '89 to '93. But still not stainless steel. S&W do make lightweight versions in 32 mag but they all are snubbies.

The only stainless version I know of is a Ruger such as this with 4" barrel and adjustable sights: https://www.snipercountrypx.com/pc-2786-1522-ruger-ksp-3241x-32-hr-mag.aspx
Long since discontinued and I couldn't seem to find a used one online.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a couple of Dan Wesson's that were stainless offered on the various online gun auction sites.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I'd really prefer a stainless steel Smith & Wesson K-32, but, when found, they're priced for collectors, not mere small game hunters.

Every S&W K-32 combat masterpiece was chambered in 32 S&W Long and was blued steel with walnut grips. Only about 3600 were ever made and yes they are quite pricey. They are model 16. The only one chambered in 32 magnum was the 16-4, made from '89 to '93. But still not stainless steel. S&W do make lightweight versions in 32 mag but they all are snubbies.

The only stainless version I know of is a Ruger such as this with 4" barrel and adjustable sights: https://www.snipercountrypx.com/pc-2786-1522-ruger-ksp-3241x-32-hr-mag.aspx

The Ruger is verrey nice I picked one up at a gunshow a while back. I am happey with it it shoots better than I do. I bought a case of the "cowboy" loads for it and have ben shooting plates with it. I can't get much below 4.8-5.0 sec but it is fun and that is about as good as I can shoot a revolver.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

onefunzr2: Thank you for the correction to my semi-senile memory! I mixed my memory of collector's prices for S&W K-32 and Model 16 revolvers with my wish for a stainless steel version of those revolvers. There's no experience to match that of being returned from confusion to reality!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a ruger single six in 32 h&r in 1987; I was going to hold out for a Bisley but couldnt wait. I couldnt even get 32 mag brass for the first year and used 32 S&WL brass loaded up. I hunted with it for a few years, made some clean kills on cottontails, armadillos and such and loved it. In a moment of insanity I sold it to a good friend and he mounted a scope on it. He loaded light loads using S&WL brass and shot ragged one hole groups at 25 meters. The best thing he ever did was trade it back to me a couple years ago for a used SKS. I missed the gun and love it more than ever.
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
finelly got my pair of consutive .32 mags in Dan Wesson with a pistol pack for one of them.It has the 2.5" barrel,4",6" and 8 inch stainless with a muzzle break.I hope I get to shoot some snowhairs with them.My .32 mags are all accurate.I have a pair of .32 mag single six rugers 6.5" with adjustible sites.I want a marlin lever action before they disapear.I heard Tarus was supuse to make a lever and pump action ,32 mag I want two pumps.I have loaded about 3,000 32 mag loads.The Starling brass is alot stonger.I have gotten up to 1500 fps with the 100 gr xpt hornadys and Win 296 powder and yes small rifle primers.I have shot 1" groups at 50 yards with it.I had a Dan Wesson Isma competion gun but sold it only 40 were made.There are not many Dan Wesson 32 mags.They were built on .357 frames.Its a hoot to shooit I love it.I also shoot 115 gr hard cast bullets at 1000 fps.They are little Elmer Keith Specials that really wack rabbits.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting a Freedom Arms M97 in .32 H&R Mag. for several years, mostly with the 85 gr. Hornady XTP. It's a great accurate cartridge, and lethal on groundhog size animals. In years past, I also owned a Contender and a S&W Mdl.16 in .32 H&R. All have been great guns, although the Mdl. 16 was a bit heavy with that full underlug barrel. Anyone with an interest in an accurate mild recoiling gun should try a .32 Mag.

Posts: 272 | Location: North Carolina,USA | Registered: 17 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Huh huh huh huh huh. Be wary qwite!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The SP101 is a great shooter although it has only a windage adjustable rear sight. It is a tad heavy for a small frame gun since for some reason they insisted on a heavy barrel. I found them easy to find when I was searching. The jobbers couldn't sell them.

Posts: 402 | Location: Hurricane Central, FL | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a few Ruger Single Six revolvers in .32 H&R Magnum and one Blackhawk but have never really shot them all that much. Currently I have one 4 5/8" SS left.

Was shooting with a friend last week who has several .32s and is a big fan. We were shooting my Single Six Hunter in .22 Magnum and talking what perfect platform that gun would be for a hunting .32.... But for walking the woods my friends favorite gun is one of the rare S&W 4" stainless kit guns..M631...really too bad S&W doesn't see fit to bring that one back...

Bob

Posts: 601 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RJM: Does your friend have any good loads for the 631? I have not had good luck with making mine shoot. The Rugers are overall very accurate. Accuracy wise my Rugers have beat all my S&Ws (M16-4 and 631)as far as the 32 mag. goes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting the 32 H&R for years. one is a 4.75 inch single six and the other a 6.5 inch Rurer Bisley.My reloading records for the Single Six show 11gr.Lil Gun with a 95 gr. lswc chronographs an avg. velocity for 10 shots as 1556 fps with a sd.of 1.8,an es. of 4.5 and a mad of 1.2. This is with CCI BR4 rifle primers and the empties fall out of the cylinder.I haven't shot the Bisley much but it shows good accuracy also.I'm now looking for a 3in. Ruger SP101 for an occasional concealed carry piece.
I could not be without a 32H&R, a very versatile cartridge.

Sam

Formerly registered as Bravo 51

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I ve been eyeballing the 32 Mag for about a year, and I finally found in new condition a Ruger Single Six with a 6.5 inch barrel in 32 H&R mag. I jumped all over it, and now have a 10 day waiting period. I ve ordered some ammo, and intend to reload for it. I consider it a great cartridge when you want something with more horespower than a 22 Mag, and it can handle a 100 Lb lion on down, so to speak. At any rate, I cant wait to start shooting it, and then loading for it.

Socialism works great until you run out of the other person's money......

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
on another note, my gunsmith told me the Ruger Single Siz's in 32 H&r MAG are becoming a sought after revolver by gun collectors. Not sure if that is true, but that's what he told me.

Socialism works great until you run out of the other person's money......

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My carry pistol is a 1st run Ruger ssa with a 61/2" barrel. I load 85gr hornadys with universal in starline brass.I just load to the manuel's maximum. I've killed 1 dog & a few cats. It is the perfect weight to drag around in the georgia summer.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tom ga, that is the same load and brass I use in mine. Pretty potent load in this light and accurate pistol. I bought mine for backpacking. I like to hunt marmots with it.