New
Find
Notify
Tools

.44 240 gr JHC & deer?
 Login/Join

<brewtcl>
posted
These were the only availible .44 bullet at my local gunshop. I am waiting on Waiting on some 280wfn gc from beartooth that I perfer more, but I guess these will do for now. I'm shooting them out of a super redhwak 7.5 " barrel and a 14" contender. The load is 23.3 grs. of W296 and 240 gr siearra jhc, very accurate and nice to shoot.

Any experiences whith this bullet and deer or any other helpful comments are welcome.

<Paul Dustin>
posted
I use the 210gr sierra JHC in my SRH 71/2 and they work great I have taken 2 deer with this bullet. My load is
Sierra 210gr
WW296 28gr
Primer CCI350
Case Win
1583fps
1168me

<Made in Sweden>
posted
I haven�t tried the Sierra 240 on game but I have used the Federal American Eagle 240 JHP for beaver and deerhunting. I think the bullet is a bit on the soft side, because it ruins a lot of meat. I have just recently switched to Norma 240 JFP at a higher speed. These bullets won�t separate and the effect on game is quite the same (One shot = one entirely dead beaver/deer) I guess the difference in speed has something to do with it (Federal 360m/s vs. Norma 420m/s) but thats probably not all because the Norma has higher speed but still hold together better than the Federal.
Good luck!
/Peter

quote:
Originally posted by brewtcl:
These were the only availible .44 bullet at my local gunshop. I am waiting on Waiting on some 280wfn gc from beartooth that I perfer more, but I guess these will do for now. I'm shooting them out of a super redhwak 7.5 " barrel and a 14" contender. The load is 23.3 grs. of W296 and 240 gr siearra jhc, very accurate and nice to shoot.

Any experiences whith this bullet and deer or any other helpful comments are welcome.

<brewtcl>
posted
Thanks for your replies.

Made in Sweden, where do you find the 240 gr norma? My father loved the bullet but I haven't been able to find any here. I guess I'm looking in the wrong place.

<SlimL>
posted
I haven't had experience with the Sierra JHC but the Hornady XTPs in the same weight have performed great for me in deer. With a shot right behind the shoulder from about 30 yards the bullet went all the way through and stopped on the far side up against the skin. Meat damage was minimal, while taking out both lungs. 24.4 grains of 296. 1425 fps at 8 feet from the muzzle. Slim

<Made in Sweden>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by brewtcl:
Thanks for your replies.

Made in Sweden, where do you find the 240 gr norma? My father loved the bullet but I haven't been able to find any here. I guess I'm looking in the wrong place.

I bought the bullets in a store here in Sweden in a town called Ornskoldsvik. The store is called Fjallraven. If you want to I could see if I can get ahold of some bullets and send you.
/Peter