New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Deer of the Season
 Login/Join

Picture of Whitworth
posted
Shot this doe yesterday afternoon as the sun was sinking low. It was about a 35 yard shot off a stand and I punched a big hole through her heart. I used my BFR in .500 Linebaugh pushing a 440 grain bullet (bfrshooter's design) over a stiff charge of 296.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Way to go Marko... tu2

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Alex!

Where've you been??

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whit; Congratulations!!!! A darn good job for being so "overgunned"!!! Big Grin

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Hey there are no degrees of dead and therefore no such thing as "overkill!" Big Grin

Thank you!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
....didnt say "overkill"...said "overgunned". My Daisy Red Ryder could have gotten the job done at that distance. I will send it to you for next years deer season....as long as you promise to shoot only one deer with it. Anymore would stir not be considered fair...to the deer!....by the way, hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, a great thanksgiving to all of you fellas and your family's too.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Happy Thanksgiving, gentlemen!

Semper Fidelis

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flat top:
....didnt say "overkill"...said "overgunned". My Daisy Red Ryder could have gotten the job done at that distance. I will send it to you for next years deer season....as long as you promise to shoot only one deer with it. Anymore would stir not be considered fair...to the deer!....by the way, hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

At 35 yards my Daisy Red Rider would not have exited and I find that unacceptable. At 34 yards, maybe.........

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
WHitworh, you shoot more does than bucks isn't that dicriminatory?? Shouldn't the bucks get equal oportunity???

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
Thanks, Alex!

Where've you been??

I have been around, don't post much any more... Been busy with out 9-12 group.. I am one of the founders and it requires a lot of time.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Whit, and happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Posts: 141 | Location: FL to WV | Registered: 06 October 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
WHitworh, you shoot more does than bucks isn't that dicriminatory?? Shouldn't the bucks get equal oportunity???

Are you suggesting that I am a sexist deer hunter? Confused

Can't eat the antlers...... Big Grin

Semper Fidelis

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Farrier Matt:
Congrats Whit, and happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Thanks Matt, same to you!

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Marko loves my BBQ made with a whole shoulder. The stuff vanished so fast from his plate I was taken aback. I can't chew that fast! rotflmo
Here it is for all of you.

A tip to make it better, instead of ketchup, use 1/2 to 1/2 to a full bottle of Heinz Kicker's hot and spicy Ketchup.
Antlers makes it too chewy and can break teeth! jumping

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrat's Whitworth!

happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Big Grin

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whit; I just found out last night that we have an "antlerless" deer season here that goes till Dec 5th. Any unfilled regular firearms season deer tags can be used to continue hunting deer till that time. Although I have made commitments to squirrel hunting (my favorite), when time permits, I am going to try to take my "small, underpowered, diminutive, lackluster, small bore" 44 mag out and see if by chance, I can bag a deer.........and, it looks like I will have a tasty new recipe to try out as well.....Thnaks for that one BFR!!! My mouth is already watering!!!!

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Hell, bfrshooter, you don't do anything fast! Big Grin

Thanks, guys!

Flat top, I am going to protest to the Magnum Handgun Bureau that the .44 magnum has been falsely called ".44 Magnum" since its inception. I will then petition the renaming of the diminutive and rather weak-kneed cartridge the ".429 Not Quite Magnum." Do you think it will fly??

jumping jumping

Just kidding! Happy Thanksgiving!

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
congrats marko have yet to see one.but i did see the track of a big buck that is less then a day old so maybe get one yet

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.......wont fly Whit! See, heres the point, first there was the 357 Mag, and then the 44 Mag and later the 41 Mag appeared. after that, all the other "Mags" were mags in name only. The 357, 44, and 41 actually doubled the power of the parent cartrides, and thus "earned" the title of magnum, The 454, 460, 475, 500's and others, have bettered nothing...they are the parent cases, and until cartridges come out that double the power of these, we can only say that these big bores are just regular old run of the mill cartridges! Big Grin...............and a Happy Thanksgiving to you!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We didnt get a doe season here this year, they said the past winter killed off too many deer. I dont doubt it, we got a lot of snow last winter. I havent seen a deer all week, guess I shoulda kept squirrel hunting. Oh well, maybe tomorrow or saturday.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
.......wont fly Whit! See, heres the point, first there was the 357 Mag, and then the 44 Mag and later the 41 Mag appeared. after that, all the other "Mags" were mags in name only. The 357, 44, and 41 actually doubled the power of the parent cartrides, and thus "earned" the title of magnum, The 454, 460, 475, 500's and others, have bettered nothing...they are the parent cases, and until cartridges come out that double the power of these, we can only say that these big bores are just regular old run of the mill cartridges! Big Grin...............and a Happy Thanksgiving to you!!!!

You're right, real men's cartridges don't have "magnum" suffixes, they end in "Linebaugh" and "JRH!" jumping

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whit; I did not say or imply what you have stated......

If a mans manlihood is judged by the cartridge he shoots, wouldnt he be more of a man by getting the job done with a smaller or less powerful cartridge? (I think so!!!)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Farrier Matt; sure hope you get one....I was going to go out again this morning but, I have an ear infection thats driving me nuts....its so bad, I am having a real hard time hearing Whit degrade the 44 mag.... Big Grin

Anyway good luck...hope to hear a good hunting story from you soon!!!

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whit; I did not say or imply what you have stated......

If a mans manlihood is judged by the cartridge he shoots, wouldnt he be more of a man by getting the job done with a smaller or less powerful cartridge? (I think so!!!)

Just pulling your leg, flat top.......

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whit; AH HA!!! Now that I have put forth a bit of common sense logic, you back off with a concilitory statement: "just pulling your leg, Flat Top". You are probably sitting there thinking to yourself "why did I ever get duped into this "big bore is better thing", when I could have just bought a 44 mag, and had everything I could have ever needed, and on top of that be envied by all those wimpy big bore shooters!!! Big Grin Its ok Whit....many make that mistake, but, there is hope...you CAN create change in your life!

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving....I am still stuffed!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job Marko, good shooting, now for some good eating!

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whit; AH HA!!! Now that I have put forth a bit of common sense logic, you back off with a concilitory statement: "just pulling your leg, Flat Top". You are probably sitting there thinking to yourself "why did I ever get duped into this "big bore is better thing", when I could have just bought a 44 mag, and had everything I could have ever needed, and on top of that be envied by all those wimpy big bore shooters!!! Big Grin Its ok Whit....many make that mistake, but, there is hope...you CAN create change in your life!

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving....I am still stuffed!!!!

No, I just realized that no matter what evidence you get presented to you as to the superiority of the tru big-bores over the little .429 magnum, you have already made up your mind....... Big Grin Can you tell I'm married? LOL!

My one question is whether or not you have used any of the bigger bores like the .45, .475, etc. on game? I think that you may like the way they kill. You don't even have to push them hard and they make really big holes!

I occasionally use the .429 when I have to (for articles, etc.) and though they work, I just find them underwhelming. They do work, but the .475 just works so much better.

Semper Fidelis

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Matherne:
Good job Marko, good shooting, now for some good eating!

Thank you, Larry, I appreciate it!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whit; I hear that (they work much better) from a lot of folks, but, dead is dead whether it be by a spear, a bow, a 44 mag or a 700 Nitro Express. As I said before, I can shoot the 44 mag...very well for an old blind guy, and hitting the target is more important to me than the size of the bullet I hit it with.

.... yes I can tell you are married...and, happily married I would assume!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flat top, Marko just likes big bullets, works good for him, me I'm partial to the little .410, I seldom use it on deer though, mostly hogs, when a knife won't do.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry; If that 41 will kill hogs, it will certainly take down any deer, and a buddy of mine took the large bears, moose, elk, etc, with his 41....it aint no slouch!!!!

I can tell Whit likes those big bullets...thats ok, someday he will see the light!!!

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Flat top, I am hoping that some day you will see the light...... Big Grin

Yes, it will do all of the above, but the bigger cartridges just do it better. Now, if the person can't shoot the bigger calibers, then they should stear clear, but if you can shoot the bigger ones, there is absolutely no down side, but there are advantages. Bigger holes, for one.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I agree that the .410 is no slouch, Marko is right, a .475 or a .50 properly used on deer or hog size game is better. Bigger wound channels just have to be better, especially if things aren't quite right with the shot placement.

I'm not so much a handgun hunter as I'm a hog-hunter. My hog encounters are generally at handshaking distance, speed of application is paramount, in this game I'm happy with my little .41 S&W Mountain Gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know Whit, I kinda see your point. I grew up in south FL, and used to do a lot of hog hunting and trapping. I carried Dads old Marlin 22 mag every where I went. Catch a hog broadside, tuck behind his ear, and it was lights out. Then one day I shot one with a 44 mag. How cool! Seemed like I could just point the thing in the general direction of the hog and bang flop! He was dead! Now Im exaggerating a little, Im pretty picky about placing my shots, but my point is, I didnt have to be nearly as precise, and if I didnt have a head shot, no problem, put it in the vitals. My biggest was a 350 lb boar hog shot at about 30 yards. Right at dark. My 44 landed on the point of his shoulder and he was dead when he hit the ground. That wouldnt have happened with Dads old Marlin. Im still a fan of the 22 magnum, and I love my Hornet, but the bigger stuff definitly has some advantages. Now Ive never shot a 475 or 500, and will probably stick with my puny 429, but I can see your point in how they offer a little more than the smaller ones.
Im gonna hunt this evening, maybe with the full moon gone and some cold weather finally, the deer might move a little, so maybe Ill be able to try out these new fan dangled cast bullet things. LOL Take care everybody.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Matt, they do offer a bigger margin of error, but that being said, I am still an advocate of accuracy first with my loads. If I can't shoot them accurately, I won't use them.

The .429 is a fine round, but we've made some progress and now we have some much bigger rounds that are also very fine in that they are inherently accurate and offer more in the way of lethality. What's not to like?

How did your hunt go last night?

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted in a blind built under a cedar tree. Didnt see any deer, but got to watch about a dozen turkeys go to roost. Had 3 hens within about 30 feet for a little while, which was pretty neat. Had a good evening. You know the best thing about not killing a deer? You have to clean it. LOL I headed to FL tomorrow for a week, might get to chase a pig while Im their. Then Im back in WV for blackpowder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whit; I will never see the light, because I just cant see that well anymore.... Anybody that has to carry 5 pairs of glasses to hunt deer with, has no business shooting anything larger than a 44 mag!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fattest doe, closest to the road on the uphill side. Meat hunting.:-)

Posts: 435 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Marko. tu2 tu2

That one will definitely provide some wonderful tablefare.

Nice shooting, too, by the way. But to those of us who have been around the board a while, that sort of accuracy from you is no surprise!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote