THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Handgun to carry for piece of mind

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handgun to carry for piece of mind
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a question and I hope you people can get me pointed in the right direction. I am in the market for a handgun. I have various specialty handguns but I am looking for something to carry while I am either out walking in the woods or bowhunting. I spend a lot of time in some pretty wild wooded areas and the last couple of years I have encountered Bears, wolves, coyotes, skunks, porcupines, fishers, coons, and on a couple of occasions some pretty aggressive dogs. I figure it is time to get a side arm just for piece of mind especially for some of the mile plus hikes out in the dark. Twice I have bumped into a sow with cubs and that tooth popping makes my skin crawl. Anyway I am looking for something strictly for protection. I want a handgun that is comfortable to carry and I don't care for the big magnums. I was wondering about an automatic like a Glock, just not sure of caliber. Basically a caliber that would have good whack at 25 yards and less. It by no means has to be a Glock and if you have comments about Autos, pro or con, let's hear them. My handguns are all custom made for long rang hunting, as a result they are big and heavy. Anyway if you have it in your heart to take a moment and make a suggestion, I would certainly appreciate it!

WS

Posts: 94 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
None of this post adds up, but assuming it to be legitimate, I would say your goals are not clear enough. If you want a close range bear stopper, (how you'd shoot one in the dark without a laser is another question) then you're almost going to have to use a larger caliber revolver.

Other than that, I'd probably say a .357 revolver would be a good choice since you can practice with .38 spec wadcutters and load a chamber or two with snake loads if that's a consideration.

Nothing wrong with a Glock or other auto (think 1911 Smiler) if you take bears out of the picture but an auto is going to be much shorter ranged than most mid sized or larger revolvers.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"None of this post adds up, but assuming it to be legitimate, I would say your goals are not clear enough"

Well I meant it to be legitimate. I thought I was pretty clear but maybe I can do better. I don't want to end up attacked a mile back in the woods by a pack of dogs or wolves. I (as stated) have been closer to bears than I wanted but they are not my main concern. I have little experience with wheel guns. Most of what I own are long range specialty pistols like a custom XP-100 in 6.5 x .284. Needless to say way to big and heavy for my purpose. When I come out after dark I do have a head lamp. With it I can, if put on high, see pretty well out to 25 yards. I very well may never even have to fire this hand gun I am thinking about. However before some critter eats my butt hole out after first roto-tilling me into the dirt, I would like to have a shot at it. Guess that's about as clear as I am capable of making it. Right now I am thinking a Ruger Red Hawk 4" in 44 Mag.

WS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In many states it is illegal to carry a firearm of any kind while bowhunting. You should check into this before making a decision.

Time is but the stream I go a'fishing on

Posts: 54 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep it is illegal here also. The thing is we are talking a fine only situation. Now if the handgun was used to illegally shoot a deer then it would be a fine, loss of privileges, and loss of equipment. I have talked to the wardens about this already, I like to know what I am about to get into before hand. Anyway this being the deal the wife already has the fine money in an envelope in the safe.

WS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind a wheelgun, then a 44 mag or 480 Ruger would be much more satisfactory against a large bear than any auto that you can easily carry on your hip.

Take a look at the Ruger Alaskan in 44, 480 or 454 - it's designed specifically for bear protection. It is a bit bulky but will definitely do the job. The 480s are next to impossible to find right now, but supposedly a new batch will be coming out of the factory soon (crossed fingers). The 44s and 454s are "sort of" easy to find.

A 480 with 400 gr cast bullets is my choice - I've been waiting for 9 months for a 480 Alaskan and haven't found one yet.

Ruger Alaskan

If you want an auto, I wouldn't pick anything other than a full sized 10 mm - with a high capacity mag it's pretty strong medicine on most animals, but very marginal on bears and moose. You'd have to shoot for the skull and keep pumping in the rounds, rather than going for a chest shot. For woods carry, Double Tap makes some excellent high velocity, heavy full metal jacket loads that would be the best choice for penetration... but not so good against human predators.

John Davies
Spokane WA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like "carried for months, needed almost never" type of situation. With that in mind I would go with an ultra light 44 mag or a J or maybe K frame size 357. I guess a Ti 41 mag would work too. All with heavy for caliber bullets. I like revolvers because they have more powerful calibers, I know you are giving up rounds. Even for dogs 5-6 shots should be enough. Jams are less likely too. I don't tend to jamb autos, but if Fido just amputated 3 fingers off my strong hand I may just limp wrist with my off hand... The main problem would be practice. I personally would use the same heavy bullet ammo I would carry and just use some heavy gloves so I could tollarate the recoil. I like shooting heavier guns, but something you carry all the time should error on the side of too light, not too heavy. Just the way I would do it.

If you like Glocks, the 10mm would not be too big. Also IMHO.

Posts: 967 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 28 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I agree with you about its just a fine thing. IMO its better to get caught with it than to get caught without it.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
However before some critter eats my butt hole out after first roto-tilling me into the dirt, I would like to have a shot at it.
A black bear sow with cubs might work you over if you surprised her just right. And dogs running in packs can be pretty scarey. Otherwise none of the other critters you mention strike me as aggressive or unavoidable. Still, if a pistol makes you feel better I'd recommend an alloy J-frame in 357 magnum. It's light, handy, easy to conceal, and more intuitive to use under stress than a selfloader. I'd forget about 25 yard shots though, especially if you plan to claim self defense. For your purposes about 25 inches is a more realistic distance.

One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
A Glock 20 10mm stoked with Cor Bons would do just fine.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My choices are Sig P 220 45acp with Corbon +P's,Ruger 4 5/8" BH in 41mag or 45lc with Grizzly or Buffalo Bore ammo or S&W 6" Mod 19 357 with my pocket rockets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've not hunted in Minnesota, but out here in Idaho, there are some large Black bears, plenty of Mountain lions, wolves (Can't shoot 'em!), and some feral dogs. Give or take an animal or so, can't be too much different from your area.

My sidearm for "the boonies" is my S&W 57, .41 Magnum, 4" barrel. They're kinda hard to find these days, so....

I suggest a stainless S&W .44 Mag. Mountain Gun with a 4" barrel. That will handle anything you might run into up there, just as it will out here. Not too heavy as to be uncomfortable.

Plus, were you to have the unfortunate experience of running into some two legged predators, it will serve you in good stead there, too. Always carry a speedloader with extra ammo.

Just my opinion.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the same advice you got on another board.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it does sound like the same advice. Thank you to all who took the time to give me some input. I have some time to decide being I won't need it for a few months and also there are a couple of good gun shows coming to our area very soon. Anyway thanks again I appreciate it immensely!

WS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
IMO its better to get caught with it than to get caught without it.
I figure in most places a fella is much safer once he gets into the woods than he was in the city or driving to or from.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I alternate between a 22LR and a 357 snubby. Sure, the 22 is not ideal for black bear, but it could be used for that purpose if the need arose, and the 22 is handy for varmits, snakes, and grouse.

The 357 is perfect for bear but takes practice to shoot well. Loaded with hard cast, it will certainly do the job. I wouldn't trust jacketed soft/hollow points in that caliber, though.

I used to carry 44s because they made me feel like Elmer Keith/Dirty Harry, but the bigger guns are a nuisance to carry (Elmer rode a horse) and simply are not necessary.

In theory an auto would be adequate, but in practice is going to be limited by bullets. Hollowpoints are not the way to go on bear. Most of the FMJs and hard cast are too pointy. If your auto can feed a hard cast or FMJ that has a large meplat, that would be perfectly acceptable.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have pistols in numerous calibers from 22 45 in both wheelguns and autos and I've been carrying a sidearm since 1990. I don't have to contend w bear, but I have low end rental properties and I hunt in some pretty remote areas. I have carried my model 29 classic w/ 8.75" barrell and my model 57 on different occasions. I have old mans butt and as heavy as they are they tend to pull my pants down. I've come down to a Glock 36 in 45acp w/ tritium night sights. Its so light you can carry it in a belt slide and forget its there. I stoke it w/ 230 gr jacketed hollow points. Of all my pistols I've had the occasion to put down two deer and numerous hogs in traps w/ the 230 grain jhp's and they work pretty good. Another option as you do not like the mags is a 44 special in a short barrelled ruger blackhawk or titanium tarus. Load this up w hard cast lead and a stiff load of powder. This should give the penetration you want without the recoil.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the S&W mountain revolvers or the Thunder Ranch revolvers would be good choices. powerful enough to discorage even a black bear but not large or heavy enough to become a burden. place it in a GOOD holster behind your hip and literaly forget it's there until you need it.
james

Posts: 74 | Location: East Kentucky | Registered: 22 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whopper, in Texas if you have a concealed carry license you can carry a handgun during bow season, you just cant hunt with it. I dont know if your state even offers concealed carry, but if it does it would be worth looking into. That aside, I would opt for a S&W Mountain Revolver in 44 mag, get some shotshells for snakes/dogs/pests, and some heavy hard cast SWC for the nasties. With a pair of speedloaders and a good holster you should be in business.
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't brother a me a bit to carry a mid sized 357 in MN.

For protection have done so for many years in Wis. I now carry a TI 41 4inch tracker why because it is light and handy about 6 oz lighter then my stainless Securty Six.

Carried my glock 40 and browning hi power, Charter arms 357 2.5 inch also somtimes it is my 22 auto pistol.

Then I have been know to carry my 44 redhawk too.

What one is the best the one I have on me when I need it.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second the Ti 41 mag in ported 4" bbl, even though mine is the same thing in the 45 long colt, which is even better.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Cimarron Thunderer in 45 Colt, or for a small piece, in .357. Easy to carry, accurate, and potent. wave

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote