New
Find
Notify
Tools

44 mag data needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need a 44mag load using 300 gr. lead semi-wade cutters. Unable to locate data in my reloading manuals. thanks guys. Pistol is S&W 629 8 3/8" brl.

Posts: 55 | Location: Wichita Ks. area | Registered: 30 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are these hard cast, soft, or what?

Are they purchased cast bullets or did you cast them yourself.

The only reason I'm asking is if you cast them yourself, then you know exactly what alloy the bullet is from and can make the bullet what ever hardness you want for any specific velocity.

For me personally, I shoot a 300gr. hard cast bullet in my 44, that I cast myself and heat treat. Because of the hardness I get my bullets, I use anywhere from 20gr. to 22.5 grains of WW296, with very good accuracy.

If I did not get the bullets to the 30-35BHN that I do, I would drop my powder by about 10-15%. The softer the bullet the higher the pressure has been with my pistol. Harder has less friction going down the barrel.

Just my .02

Good shooting,

HL

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Are you looking for topend velocity, or just something comfortable in the 1200fps range? How long is the bullet and how long is the nose from the crimp groove?
A bullet seated out farther will lower pressure and allow for higher velocity with heavier loads.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Linebaugh has some upper end loads for the 300gr. cast bullet and H110. I developed my loads after reading his article.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good advice. I make my boolits a little hard by adding a small amount of antimony and tin to WW's. Water dropped WW's also work fine. Start at 19 or 20 gr's of 296 and work up. Look for accuracy at 50 yd's. I shoot 320 and 330 gr boolits with 21.5 gr's. Compare mag primers with standard primers too. My best accuracy is with Fed 150's.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased from a friend. Total length .865 the distance to crime grove from nose tip is about .330 Hope this helps..

Posts: 55 | Location: Wichita Ks. area | Registered: 30 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Need the length from the crimp groove to the base of the boolit. Mine are about .500". Anything from that to less will shoot OK with 21.5 gr's of 296. measure from the very front of the crimp groove. The nose doesn't matter as long as it doesn't stick out the front of the cylinder.
You are showing about .535" in the case so you want to work up carefully. I have worked to 24 gr's with mine but accuracy falls off as soon as I go over 21.5. You should be safe to 23 gr's. but 20 to 20.5 might be the most accurate. Keep us posted. Remember to shoot at least 50 yd's. 25 yd's won't tell you a thing. The worst loads I ever made shoot small groups at close range.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Ya, what BFR said. I asked for the nose length to get the length in the case from the bullet length.
20 gns of 296 should be about 100% load density, but you can compress the load some and be fine.
Quickload thinks 20 gns should go about 1300fps.

You could try 2400 also in the 14-16gn range for similar velocities. Or you could go lower for milder recoiling loads. 12 gns should be around 1000 fps.

Work for the best accuracy instead of max velocity.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote