THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Need forum for cast bullet (LBT) discussion?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need forum for cast bullet (LBT) discussion?
 Login/Join

<changeling>
posted
Evidently I am in the wrong place. I thought this forum was for pistol/revolver shooters. I am interested in the 44 Mag, and 45LC, with LBT style bullets. Can you please direct me to such a Forum?? Thank you.
Changeling

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
With no intent to offend you, what exactly do you expect for replies? There are likely darn few folks with the exact mold you have, that have done the necessary testing to know how the bullet will perform, in the parameters you give.

I've done some relatively extensive testing, that is still ongoing, with LBT style bullets in the Ruger .480, both LFN, some LFN/WFN 1/2 breeds, and soon a WFN. From that experience, as well as work a buddy has done with a 45 bullet that has a very large meplat, my take is, you'll simply have to test the bullet and see how it behaves. Just because Veral and Pierce said it won't work doesn't mean it won't, test and learn for yourself!

The only way I've been able to learn as much as I have about the 480 is by pouring powder, seating bullets, and punching lots of paper, as well as taking chrony readings.

It kinda ticks me off when folks post a question, don't get the answer(s) they're after, and complain about the forumn. Always, the best bet is to find out how your gun and bullets behave, no one on the net can answer that. The time you spend finding out will make you a better shot, and a more knowledgable re-loader.

You might want to try sixgunner.com, find the link to the campfire, and post questions there. You'll likely get a response from John Taffin, Tim Sundles of Buffaloe Bore, maybe Paco Kelley or Lee Juras. Then again, maybe not. If you whine about not getting the answers you want, you just may get several not so kind replies.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Mark C. Kimmell>
posted
Try Beartooth Bullets at www.beartoothbullets.com They have a shooter's forum with good information and load data. Cast Performance has starting load data on their website at www.castperformance.com Hope this helps Mark.

<changeling>
posted
Thanks Mark, I will give them a try.
Paul, I didn't give you any parameters. I gave you specific calibers! I am interested in any information concerning the LBT bullets. It appears your testing is for you alone, that's fine by me, just don't try to give someone that song and dance about different guns and testing for myself. A pistol is not a rifle and exhibits statistics very similar in a given barrel length and caliber with the same bullet and load, in different guns. This information can help an individual trying to get a good load to start with in his particular gun, and from there make the slight adjustments in the components relative to his particular cartridge/gun for "his" best load.
If anyone has a question concerning the 44 Mag with "Jacketed bullets" I would be more than willing to share all of the information I have accumulated for the past 20 years.
It is nice Paul to see that you enjoy the shooting sport so much as to "pour all that powder, seat all them bullets, and punch all that paper, as well as chronograph".
Now, why don't you post your findings? That way guys like me could read and you wouldn't have to take up your valuable time with ballistic dribble about me!

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Here is my take, you post all over the net asking these questions, and when you don't get the answers you are after, you whine, obviously I'm not in the right spot? Maybe I just took it wrong.

I do not know of any forumn geared specifically towards LBT handgun bullets, it is simply too limited of a subjet to warrant a forumn dedicated to it.

I've read your posts in regard to the 260 gr WFN in the 44 mag, and whether it'll tumble if launched at less than 1200 fps. I haven't seen anybody post a specific answer that they have thoroughly tested those parameters.

I have corresponded with many, many folks who shoot LBT style bullets, in 44's, 45's, 475's and 500's. It is my impression that the statement that WFN's tumble below 1200 fps is based more on opinion then thorough testing. Maybe somebody shot a 300, or 320 WFN at 1000 fps, and it tumbled, does that mean all WFN's tumble at this speed? Does it mean that the paticular gun had a barrel with a twist too slow to stabalize it? Gun writers like to propogate myths and "common gun knowledge". I don't buy the WFN's have to be driven 1200 fps line, just doesn't jive with my experience.

There is plenty of published data for loading cast bullets in the 44, the LBT designs don't require anything special. Try from 7-10 gr unique, 17-21 gr 2400, and 24-25 gr H110. Posting questions on the net won't answer the question as to whether or not the bullet will shoot accurately at sube 1200 fps, only you testing your bullets in your gun will.

As I mentioned, go to sixgunner.com, look up the archived articles by John Taffin and Paco Kelley, lots of good load data for the 44 and 45.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by changeling:
It appears your testing is for you alone . . . Now, why don't you post your findings? That way guys like me could read and you wouldn't have to take up your valuable time with ballistic dribble about me!

changeling,

Paul has posted his findings. Had you taken the time to do a little reading before you started whining again, you might have found his 480 Ruger thread in the "Favorite Loads" forum.

The tone of your first post was rude and sarcastic, and totally uncalled for. Paul's comments were right on the money -- and considerably more polite than mine would have been. Your response to him was just childish. These are the best shooting forums on the net, but we don't have much tolerance for rudeness. Show some manners, and you will find that the members here share a tremendous wealth of knowledge.

[This message has been edited by Cannon (edited 09-26-2001).]

Posts: 269 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<changeling>
posted
Paul, the loads you suggest, up to 21g 2400 and 24 or 25g of H110 would give velocities well in excess of 1200 fps. These loads do not even relate to the 1200fps question I asked! But with all that experience you knew that, right!
Your second sentence/paragraph would probably have been a great answer if you had just left it a that!
But when you start accusing me of whining and addressing me like I am some kind of idiot running around the internet pursuing all sorts of questions you are only showing your snobbish ignorance!
Now for your information, other individuals shooting the bullet I inquired about would have information that is very valuable to me! It can tell me if other people are having similar problems with using low velocities with that particular bullet.
But then I forgot, you said everyone has to shoot there own, in there own gun!
Now please answer a question for all of your admirers, like rubber lips tush kissing cannon! If the loading information I am seeking is not going to do me any good, "WHY" did you post your 480 findings, why are there message boards discussing loads and there accuracy, why are there reloading books????? According to you these are all a waste! After all didn't you say "only you can determine a load and bullet, by shooting it yourself".
Now if you don't know the answer to a question just say so or give some positive advise, instead of making a jerk of yourself.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I guess you didn't bother to find the place I mentioned, so look here http://disc.server.com/Indices/47763.html

If you can't get an answer that satisfies you there, you certainly won't find it on the net, likely anywhere. Some of the folks there are in contact with Veral through his wife.

I just don't understand your reluctance to test the bullet in your gun, or the assumption that someone else can give you a definative answer as to whether or not it'll work in your gun. Seems like the energy you are using to ask the questions could be focussed for testing, and then you could share your results with others.

What set me off is, you ask a question, then when you don't get the answer you like, you make a posting saying you must be in the wrong place. There are lots of good folks here, if you don't get the answers you want, perhaps you should re-state your question. If you, being new, decide you would rather insult the folks here, that is your decision. I gave you many tips to help you out, if you don't want to follow them, that is up to you.

I think what we have here is, failure to communicate.

One last thing, I'm sure you think I'm a jerk, but if you use the same tone over on the campfire, where you'll find hands down the most experienced cast bullet wheelgun shooters in the world, they will rip you a new one.

[This message has been edited by Paul H (edited 09-27-2001).]

<Lee S. Forsberg>
posted
I shoot a 300gr LBT 45 caliber bullet in a T/C using RL7. I also us RL7 in 44 mag with 250gr and 300gr bullets. Start with around 23gr and work up. Each gun is different, be careful.

------------------
LSF/375