New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holster help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I anm looking for suggestions for a holster for my S&W 629 with 5" full underlug barrel.

I need this for field work for bear protection. I want a leather holster that rides high, has good retention but no thumb strap.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Greg

Posts: 187 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
http://www.simplyrugged.com/index.html

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2578 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I have a Bianchi shoulder holster(X-15) that is very comfortable to wear. It fits all of my large frame revolvers except the 500 S&W. It has a clam shell spring loaded inside the leather which holds the gun very securely. You can leave the trigger gaurd strap off and stand on your head or do jumping jacks and the gun will not move.
It's made for the 8 3/8" barrel M-29, but works just as well with a 4.5" barrel Blackhawk or Seville.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second-the-motion on Simply Rugged Holsters.

I've been using one for several months and have been very satisfied with it.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ElPaso Saddlery makes some nice ones. usually takes at least 6 weeks though.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
I just went through the same search after the seam holding the nylon strap in the front of my el-cheapo Sidekick loosened and started snagging the front sight (after 15 years!) I tried a Bianchi 5BH but didn't like the high ride as it put the gun butt right under my elbow and that's no good for my arm swinging on long hikes. Also the closest size is for a 6".

Smith & Wesson offers a DeSantis Dual-Angle hunter for the 5" Performance Shop 627 and I just recieved it today. It rides a little lower but I've yet to take it out for a stroll. It fits my 629-3 5" underlug perfectly. It's a thumb break though.

For exactly what you want, you could go custom if your willing to pay for it.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Mernickle. 2020

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I am curious as to why no thumb strap?
I have a Bianchi #5BH belt holster for my 4" GP-100 and the thumb strap is very easy and natural to hit while takeing ahold of the grip.

Back side of the Bianchi.

EJH Saddlery makes some nice holsters. The cross draw is on the top and is comfortable to wear. It doesn't get in the way when getting in and out of the truck.
The strong side is nice to wear, but it does get in the way when getting into the truck.

At first I was a little hesitant about the long straps, but in an email the guy said that they handgun hunt in Texas and finally settled on this for what worked best for them. It's not as quick as the thumb break, but is easy to feel and undo without looking and I haven't had it come undone at all when going through thick brush.
You can find the EJH holsters on Gunbroker. They started with single actions, but now have a wide variety.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like this for bear defence so I do not want to fool around with a strap.

Posts: 187 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to give this outfit a look. The holsters are easily adjusted to fit in or outside your hunting wear (coats etc..) they are very well made also and make the heaviest handguns easy to carry. Greg
http://www.davidjohnstonleather.com/

"These are the times that try mens souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman." Thomas Paine winter of 1776

Posts: 115 | Location: Wasilla Alaska | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will second SimplyRugged and add Bob Mernickle. SimplyRugged on top w/ Mernickle's below. They both make DA versions of the same.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best holster I have found to carry a big revolver [I carry a 4" S&W 44 Mag] is the DeSantis cross draw holster.

The crossdraw offers the best access to the revolver when seated or when wearing a coat in the cold or wet weather.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I absolutely agree with the cross draw carry. The two holsters shown in my post can be worn either strong side or cross draw.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Sparks 200AW for beltguns. I've got one each for my GP100 and my M629 Mtn Gun and have come to use nothing else. Comfortable, fast, and secure. I've seen their HSR done as a crossdraw which might be better for a five inch gun.http://www.miltsparks.com/