THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Suggestions for mounting Red dot on 1911 style.....

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for mounting Red dot on 1911 style.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
...I just bought a used Nighthawk Heinie 6 inch 10 mm. Using very rough measurements, it has a custom night hawk tritium open sight on it. This sight is similar to bomars, etc and is on rear of slide which has been milled out roughly 1/16 inch so it will sit lower and then has another lower cut on hammer end of slide to allow adjustments to fit. The slide cuts, together are about 1 1/2 inches long and then has a (again) roughly 5/16 inch dovetail to attach it.

It's kind of hard to describe, but here is a link which sort of shows what I am talking about.

http://www.nighthawkcustom.com...es/heinie-long-slide

I'd like to mount a red dot sight, such as a Fastfire III on it. Anyone got any suggestions as to where to look for a "thingy" which will fit the slot and have some method to mount sight.

I called Nighthawk, and they said for $410 they'd mill out slide, and install a sight. Plus they recommended that after doing that they'd need to refinish slide. I don't really want to do either if I can avoid it. I'd like to punch out sights, install some kind of mount into dovetail and be done with it. Any help or suggestions where to look would be appreciated. I can see sights as is with my glasses on, but seeing sights and target (game) would likely be nearly impossible. TIA.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wiegand makes scope bases to mount to a 1911. I believe a red dot would take a severe battering if mounted to the slide.

I believe most of the IPSC shooters use optics now, so there should be several makers of bases.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to argue, but that is what the MOS Gen 4 Glocks are designed for. I've got one of those in 10mm at my FFL now waiting for a custom trigger.

I bought a target style Beretta 92 with a Fast Fire II installed on slide by smith/maker, admittedly a 9mm.

However, there are numerous reports on net of a FFII, which is basically the same thing and wt holding up to a .45 and a .460 Rowland so I don't think the recoil is an issue.

But I appreciate the help. There are several 1911 type bases out there, but I'll have to do some research to see if they'll fit the Nighthawk slot.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with those sights and the link did not work for me, so no arguments on this end.

Best of luck with your search.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with Gary Reeder. He is making custom bases for revolvers...fitted to your gun, for red dots like the fastfire. 100-125.00, which is pretty good for what you get. He might make one for the auto slide as well, but you will have to ask him. To see what I am talking about go to his web page and where you see the "green" blocks on the main page...look on the left side and see the one that states..."GNR sight base".

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it. Brownell's has some bases for FFs that might work, but eyeballing them, I think the dovetail is not in the right position to fit the Nighthawk.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
GG I think you are on the right track, just a little ahead of the game. I am assuming that there will be some kind of industry standard for the dovetail to mount a reflex sight, or even an insert that will allow a reflex sight mount, I just don't see it yet. It is worth pointing out that there have been plenty of reports of dirt etc. from the ejection port getting on the front lens of the reflex sight. That is why some of them have the base angled upward to guard the front of the lens. Don't know whether this problem has been solved or not.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
There is a mount that replaces one of the grips. On the frame! Should be a different kind of stress, maybe less then when mounted on the slide.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JP Enterprises/Rifles makes red dot mounts that fit in the standard 1911 rear sight slot and have mounts that will fit in a melted in Bomar or Novak rear sights.
J-Point Mounts

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
There is a mount that replaces one of the grips. On the frame! Should be a different kind of stress, maybe less then when mounted on the slide.

I've got an antique 1911 .45 Clark grip replacement mount with an equally antique Aimpoint on it. I haven't shot it enough to have his come up, but the problem with grip mounts is the screws that hold the grips on are not designed to take the stress of the mount and scope. They shoot loose. I'm sure you could probably fix this by more screws, solder, whatever but considering the 10mm has considerably more recoil than the .45 I think this idea is a non-starter for a couple of reasons, one the problems of shooting loose, and two, the ergonomics of a grip mount for hunting, but thanks for the suggestion.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Craig:
JP Enterprises/Rifles makes red dot mounts that fit in the standard 1911 rear sight slot and have mounts that will fit in a melted in Bomar or Novak rear sights.
J-Point Mounts

IF one of them will work, I might well go that route, although I'm not sure of quality of JP red dots. The sight costs about $80 more than a Fastfire III but rather than putz around with trying to find a mount for the FF that would work on the Nighthawk, I would gladly pay the differnce. Thanks for the suggestion.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI, the Doctor red dot adapter bottom of the page for the JP mount will allow the Burris FastFireIII red dot to fit as they (Doctor/Burris) have the same footprint.
Good luck on your project.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nighthawk dovetail cut is a Bomar cut. Burris makes a mount for the Bomar dovetail for the FFII or III.

Bomar mount for FFIII

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered one from MidSouth, we'll see. Thanks for the help.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a JPoint mounted on a 44 Mag S&W Mountain Gun in a JPoint mount for three years shooting lots of full power loads with no problems. Great products all three, the sight, mount and gun!

Posts: 257 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my mount for my Kimber Stainless Target that slides right into the dovetail on the slide and the FastFire mounts to it. I put several hundred rounds of heavy 10mm through the gun and the FastFire never shifted point of aim or failed in anyway.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Do you prefer the FastFire for specific reasons?
I have a new G40 too and before
I jump in with both feet for a quality red dot
I want a cheap test drive. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote