Tools

Re: weird POI shift
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The loads were:
300 gr XTP, 20 gr Lil'gun, CCI LP primer
250 gr Meister cast, 24 gr Lil'gun, CCI LP primer

Shooting from the bench, and (trying to) allow the gun to move freely in recoil. I was pretty satisfied with the groups for each bullet, but the XTPs were way off to the left. I've just never seen that big of a difference before. I do try and maintain a consistent grip, but that could be the problem. I'll have to try these 250 gr XTPs and see how they work. I really don't NEED the 300 gr ones here anyway. I had just tried them to see how they worked. So, if the 250s shoot ok, then that is what I'll use until I head out for bigger stuff than deer and pigs.

Yesterday, I tried on a pair of waterski gloves. Man, are they nice. I think they would be perfect for shooting - tacky grip, stretchy thin neoprene, waterproof... thanks for the replies so far. maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have used just about every handgun shooting glove out there but have found the new glove from Smith&Wesson, which was made for their new .500, to be the best made.It really helps in controlling those heavy hitters.Purchased them on-line from the S&W web site.Good luck, JFS

Posts: 19 | Location: Kearny, NJ | Registered: 18 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
"Usually when I flinch"

Do you use ear plugs and ear muffs both? A lot of flinch is caused by noise more than expected recoil. Try it with double hearing protection you may be surprised in the change. If you currently use double hearing protection consider changing muffs or plugs that will reduce the decibels more. I know if I am standing next to a person shooting a firearm that is to loud it will make me jumpy, and severely affect my concentration and shooting ability.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use good ear protection, so I don't think that is the problem. I did try out the 250 gr XTPs this weekend, and the POI was to the right of the 300s - but only by 2-3 inches. Shooting at 25 yds again. It was just outside of the black center of the target. At least it was on the paper! I did not chrono them, but best loads used 24.0 gr Lilgun, so they should be right up there in the velocity department.

I did try shooting both with and without gloves on, no change in accuracy - but comfort was much better with gloves! I found that my cheap $10 pair of bicycling gloves (fingerless with gel padding in the palm) worked the best for recoil reduction.

It looks like my gun likes the 250 gr XTPs a lot. The best shooting I have ever done with it, actually. I'll take 5" groups offhand any day. I did bench a few cylinders full off bags, but by then I was getting tired (I'd been shooting various guns for 2 hours already ) - so results are not that much better than offhand.

So, I'm guessing that bullet torque is the issue. The lighter, more slippery cast lead bullets do not exhibit as much torque on the barrel. When I went to the heavy 300 gr jacketed XTPs, the POI shifted to the left a lot. When I used the lighter 250 gr XTPs, groups shrank and the POI moved back to the right. I'm going to settle on this load for all general use and set the sights accordingly. I'm just glad that I found a good load without too much work. Now I just have to work with it to make myself a better shot. No such thing as too much practice, ya know. Thanks for the inputs! maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote