UPS Came! *Pics*
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Cool some DoubleTap Casull ammo Cool

I got 2 boxes of the 400gr WFNGC Hardcasts

Here is a comparison picture

Left to right = 135gr 9mm Luger Hydra-shoks, 165gr TMJ .40 S&W, 230gr JHP .45 ACP, 300gr XTP Casull, and the 400gr Doubletaps

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
It's about dang time!! thumb When will you try 'em out?? Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I am hoping on Wednesday, if not they will have to wait until the weekend Frowner

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Priorities, man, priorities! dancing

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I know it! Maybe if I got rid of this job that is taking up all of my time I'd be able to enjoy my hobbies Big Grin

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Work is way overrated........ jumping

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
......Will the 454 stabilize the 400 gr bullet.... ???

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
gumboot -- mine does. I use this same load in my 7.5-inch Ruger SRH and it is perfectly happy with that load -- my hand isn't too happy at the end of the shooting session, but that's a different story! Big Grin The red hog in my signature line was taken with that exact load and it was a complete pass through. I've heard other's concerns about the SRH's ability to stabilize such heavy bullets, but like the 360 grain loads I've used as well, it seems to like them. We'll see how Justin's SRH reacts -- and how he reacts!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I figured the SRH 454 would like anything it is fed Big Grin

I've shot the 260gr? platinum tips and the 300gr xtps and the gun shot well with both. This week we will find out how the 400's are, and how I am with them Big Grin Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.....A friend had to kill an old 8 1/2 ' brn bear this fall at his home with his 4" 500 Smith& Wesson ....The bear had a 26" skull and almost no fat ,worn out teeth...His load was the 400 gr Sierra bullet and a bunch of H110...Initial range was around 15 ft . it was dark out and his head lamp wasn,t helping alighn the sights ......He was walking to his house on a board walk ....It took him 3 shots ..but after the first the bear turned and headed away .. which is good as the muzzel flash temp, blinded my friend ......2 of the bullets exited.....I would prefer a 454 SRH to a 500 S&W but need the bullet weight...real interested in that load... I pretty much prefer the SRH to any other large bore hand gun....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
gunboot -- that is an off-the-shelf load from Double Tap (www.doubletapammo.com). They also have a 360 grain load that shoots really well in my SRH.

I too love my SRHs -- this is why I am having one built by Jack Huntington to .475 Linebaugh (no, it's not done yet, but we're close -- at least I hope!).......

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I thought the Linebaugh was back home? Hopefully it wont be too long! That ammo you bought is collecting dust!!

Should we see what happens first? Me getting my Red Stag back from the Taxidermist or you getting your .475 back? Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard some good things about Double Tap but the price of loaded ammo makes me cringe. I'm glad I reload.......everything.

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
$24.95 per box isn't that bad, when compared to Buffalo Bore

I got the 300gr XTP's for $18.95/per

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
DEC, actually, Double Tap ammo is some of the most reasonably priced ammo I've purchased and all that I've used has worked flawlessly and it's all loaded with premium bullets. Relatively speaking, it's a bargain (not compared to reloading, but compared to other factory loads).

Justin -- it's not done yet, but is VERY close....... I have a deer hunting date in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping, praying, and keeping my fingers crossed that it gets to me on time. It's soooooooo close! I will most definitely post pictures of the final product! And yes, the ammo is collecting dust........ Big Grin

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Where are you going deer hunting at? Is it a rifle hunt or will you use the pistol if it comes back in time? WE WANT INFO AND PICS!

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Going locally, Justin -- hopefully with my .475, but if I don't get it on time, I will take my brother-in-law's .480. I feel like using something other than the Casull this time around -- besides, I have no ammo!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buglemintoday & Whitworth
Points well taken in regard to comparison shopping for ammo. But, I've been reloading for about 30yrs so I can't bear to buy factory fodder. When the S&W 500 first came out rounds were selling for $2.10-$3.20 each! Reloading components weren't available and I couldn't wait so I choked and bought three boxes of Hornady First Run ammo. They cost me $42 per 20! I only shot two boxes and saved one. The Corbons loaded with Barnes bullets were running $38 for 12! I have almost 1K of reloaded ammo for my 500's, can you imagine what it would cost to buy it new?! If I didn't reload I know I wouldn't own five of them. Even with the high cost of components I've started to taper off buying so much but I'm glad I stocked up when I did. And with a little over a ton of wheel weights I'll be looking to buy more moulds. I'm sure I'll end up paying in the end, maybe, but I'm going to drag it out as long as possible.

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I wish I still had room to reload! I kind of miss it but at the same time it is just as fun to be able to sight the gun in and go

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
I wish I still had room to reload! I kind of miss it but at the same time it is just as fun to be able to sight the gun in and go

I hear ya, Justin! I would love to have the space to do it as well, but I don't, so I have to pick up my phone and give my credit card number....... Big Grin

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
......I have to reload ,,and chronograph .. for me to not do so takes most half the stuff away from firearms .@ this moment I have a Lee hand press ,Pacific scale , A can of 1 shot ,dies ,brass, primers, powder and bullets...and a chronograph .with me here as I am away from home ..Takes up very little space ..I live in a n 11 1/2 x 24 ft one room stick frame cabin ....Gotta use a chronograph ..But I have and do shoot with and hunt with factory ammo ...Kind of hard to find factory ammo for a 9.3x64 Brenneke ..But I will look up double tap hope I can get it shipped here...Thanks !!!!!

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Went to the range a little bit ago to try out the new ammo! In all honesty I did not think that this load kicked more then the 300gr XTPs. While the 400's did have recoil, the 300 XTPs really torque in your hand and in all actuality hurt after a few rounds. I have to admit though, after 20 rounds of 400gr at the range I can still feel the revolver in the palm of my hand Big Grin

Amazing enough, my sight in with the 300gr XTP's was excellent for the 400's. I guess 300gr @ 1650 is similar to 400gr @ 1400 Big Grin

The Doubletap load seemed to be a little bit dirtier, but this must be a given as it is a lead bullet? No extraction problems with any load I have tried so far. (Platinum tip 260gr, 300gr xtp, 400gr DT)

This afternoon I am sitting in the spot I was last night only this time I may have my 454 on hand Big Grin

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it works well in your SRH, Justin! Try your lighweight 300 grain load and the 400 grainer back to back, and you'll feel the difference, I promise! Good luck tonight!! I hope the hogs come around so you can drill one! Big Grin Want to hear all about it!

Semper Fidelis